New to the 375 H&H

I loaded 300gr Sierras with Win 760 and at 200 Meters this was the result

Attachments

• DSC00333.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 175
I am in SA so my reloading data won't help you , but my CZ550 seems prefer 300g bullets .

good luck with the reloading , it's all part of the fun.

Agree with Velo Dog in a posting several months ago about a two inch group. My M70 shoots 270 gr Federal over the counter ammo and Kynoch 300 grain factory in a two inch group at 100 yds until my shoulder gets to tired to shoot. Unless you are shooting competition, I don't see necessity to shoot sub MOA groups in any large caliber hunting rifle. I can keep 1 inch groups with my .264, not sure I can do that with my .375 regardless of the bullet and powder.

Agree with Velo Dog in a posting several months ago about a two inch group. My M70 shoots 270 gr Federal over the counter ammo and Kynoch 300 grain factory in a two inch group at 100 yds until my shoulder gets to tired to shoot. Unless you are shooting competition, I don't see necessity to shoot sub MOA groups in any large caliber hunting rifle. I can keep 1 inch groups with my .264, not sure I can do that with my .375 regardless of the bullet and powder.

Thanks for the nod Sierraone,

Great minds think alike amigo.
To further whip a dead horse here (collective groan from those who might read this) ;

I think most of us serious hunters (especially those of us who are also hand-loaders) typically get too grouchy about putting 5 shots into an inch at 100 yards, with our scoped hunting rifles.
In my own personal experiences, I have concluded that if any rifle of mine likes to throw it's first shot willy nilly out of the bullseye, it does not matter to me that it then will shoot all following shots from a hot barrel, into one tiny ragged hole at 10 miles distant - IMO it needs fixing.

In other words, the most important characteristic of my rifles, is that they must always and every time put that first "cold shot" into the bulleseye.
That being the case, if my scoped hunting rifle will then put THREE shots into TWO inches at 100 yds/metres, from sand bags consistently, I feel that I am all set to then ignore the shooting table/bench/sand bags and begin serious training, especially from the sticks / field positions.
All this boils down to the fact that, I freely admit that any animal missed has been my fault, not any of my "2" grouping rifle's fault.

This Thread is about hunting rifles as they pertain primarily to Africa's animals and somewhat to various different game animals in many other parts of the world as well, therefore:

As already mentioned by Sierraone, the above 2" / 3 shot group criteria does not apply to serious target rifles.
Likewise, I have done quite a lot of rodent shooting at long range and for that specific type of high velocity rifle/powerful scope, a half inch group at 100 yds/meters is what I always wanted (.220 Swift / 55 grain Spitzer was my favorite "Varmint Cartridge" in those days).

Blah, blah, blah,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:

i disagree , aim small = hit small , i will not take a rifle to the bush that i am not 100% confident with , and for me confidence is MOA , i furthermore do not regard the 375 as a large caliber or a difficult caliber to shoot , practice with your rifle , i assure you that you will soon discover the same.

but each to there own as this is my opinion of course.

I've had good luck with reloader 17. I used a 300 grain Nosler Accubond. 17 has a burn rate similar to IMR 4350

i disagree , aim small = hit small , i will not take a rifle to the bush that i am not 100% confident with , and for me confidence is MOA , i furthermore do not regard the 375 as a large caliber or a difficult caliber to shoot , practice with your rifle , i assure you that you will soon discover the same.

but each to there own as this is my opinion of course.

Hi bassasdaindia,

I totally agree that the .375 is not exactly a cannon, at least in regards to hunting in Africa.
Furthermore, many rifles in .375 caliber will usually shoot as tight a group as any other typical hunting rifle will in any typical hunting caliber.
It is quite capable of taking fairly small animals such as jackal, klipspringer, etc., at relatively long range, with the right rifle/bullet/scope combination.

And I have already babbled in my previous post, as well as other posts in other threads, regarding what my opinion is for an acceptable 3 shot group at 100 yds for scoped rifles used in general hunting conditions/species so, I will not beat it to death very much further.
None of this is to imply that my scoped .375 (Brno 602) is not super accurate because it is more accurate than I am.

But my experiences with this cartridge (and several other common hunting cartridges) has, over the years, caused me to relax a bit regarding all this; 5 shots inside of 1 inch fuss, with any "normal" hunting rifle.
Upon getting my fist double rifle (a Merkel .375) and learning it's quirks, if I had not already de-evolved to become fully unconcerned about 1" groups before, certainly I was after using that rifle awhile.
Even with the scope on it, the playing card size groups it produced were real humbling to a former long range ground squirrel hunter.

("Varmint" rifles, such as commonly use in N. America for small rodents at 4 hundred yards are a whole different topic - those need to be extremely accurate).

Kind regards,
Velo Dog

Certainly, when hunting big game, I am much more concerned about the extra 20% of terminal performance than I am in getting that last 20% shrinkage in the group.

Meaning, I would hunt with a Barnes TTSX or Nosler Partition (or Northfork or Swift, etc) shooting a 1.5" group vs a (fill in the blank 2-piece non-bonded) that shoots 1" groups.

If I shot at game at long range regularly, I might feel differently....might!

My 375 actually shot pretty well Right off the get go and I played with Bullets and Powders and got the great results I posted ,,Maybe I could screw around with Primers and case lengths but I'm not sure it's worth the effort, besides I have a possible 404 in the works that will consume my time when it's summer in Minnesota probably next Century

Last edited:
My model 70 375 H&H loves the 300 grain Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Bear Claws. And it likes the Premium Remington A Frames and those regulate well with Federal Premium Woodleigh hydro solids. And if re-zeroed, it shoots 270 grain Hornady Superformance really flat and accurately.

But I agree with the guys who point out that perfect accuracy is not ussually needed for normal hunting conditions in Africa. Tarbe really hit the nail on the head, or the buffalo in the heart with his comments...

Velo Dog I agree with what you have said about first shot and resultant groups from a hunting rifle.

I am not at home at the moment but for loads in the 375H&H I use AR2209. This is Hodgdon H414 / H4350. Varget or H4895 will as well. I use the AR2209 to reduce the number of powders I have. When I start loading mono metal bullets I will go to AR2206H (H4895) or Varget simply due to the distance the mono's protrude in to the powder space.

Velo Dog I agree with what you have said about first shot and resultant groups from a hunting rifle.

I am not at home at the moment but for loads in the 375H&H I use AR2209. This is Hodgdon H414 / H4350. Varget or H4895 will as well. I use the AR2209 to reduce the number of powders I have. When I start loading mono metal bullets I will go to AR2206H (H4895) or Varget simply due to the distance the mono's protrude in to the powder space.

Thanks Rule 303,

I've tried several USA powders in the .375 and none were unacceptable but some were definitely better performers than others.
As a result, I have settled on DuPont IMR 4350, due to both consistent accuracy and availability where I live.
I generally load 300 grain Hornady round nose bullets and Nosler Partition (semi-Spitzer) down to the old Pre-War .375 Flanged velocity of 2400 fps with IMR 4350.

Even though I don't fuss over target grade accuracy from my hunting rifles these days, nonetheless this load often puts the first two shots touching at 100 yds from sand bags and occasionally my third shot as well, from sand bags with my scoped Brno 602.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Thanks Rule 303,

I've tried several USA powders in the .375 and none were unacceptable but some were definitely better performers than others.
As a result, I have settled on DuPont IMR 4350, due to both consistent accuracy and availability where I live.
I generally load 300 grain Hornady round nose bullets and Nosler Partition (semi-Spitzer) down to the old Pre-War .375 Flanged velocity of 2400 fps with IMR 4350.

Even though I don't fuss over target grade accuracy from my hunting rifles these days, nonetheless this load often puts the first two shots touching at 100 yds from sand bags and occasionally my third shot as well, from sand bags with my scoped Brno 602.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.
Velo Try some WIN 760 you might like it for those 300 grainers

Velo Try some WIN 760 you might like it for those 300 grainers

Now and then a can of W760 shows up in Anchorage and so, perhaps I will try it one day.
I have heard nothing but good reports on that powder from others and now from you as well.
At the moment though, I have had such stellar performance from IMR 4350 that it is sort of "stockpiled" in my
Storage Unit and it will be a while until I run low.
Thanks for the recommendation.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhakhoa123

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,