Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
Been after one of these for some time, not sure how many were made but this is number 19 of the so called Texas model with case colored receiver.
Had it to the range yesterday to sight in with some Hornady factory loads and finally got it more or less on but the light was bad for open irons and old eyes. Its not drilled for a peep sight and I am loath to drill it. What I did do however was compare it to a Browning '95 in 30-40 Krag that I shoot well and found that the notch in the rear was wider and its front sight skinnier than this .405 so I carefully opened up the rear notch with needle files to let a little more light in around the sight. This is the 3rd one of these rifles to pass thru my hands, and hopefully it hangs around for a while!
IMG_5400.JPG
IMG_5393.JPG

Bullthrower338

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
Beautiful rifle Scott!

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
Very nice! Classic look!

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
I doubt this rifle ever goes afield. I did take one just like it to RSA a few years ago on my boys first safari. I only shot one critter though, a nice nyala. That it hammered with authority is without question. I was hunting eland primarily but never got a shot at one on that hunt. Would like to have seen it perform on the heavier animal, but I have zero doubt it would have handled it with ease with the load I used.

crs

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
sheltontechnologies.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
CRS, NRA Patron Member, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Hunted
RSA
Very nice indeed!
And it does deliver on game, even with the factory Hornady ammo which is very accurate.
There are some sources of tougher bullets if needed(Barnes, NF, Woodies, and even cast bullets) for thick skinned big game.

I know of a couple of guys that have loaded 300 grain Barnes and NF up to 2400 fps!

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
My best handload was some 56 grs of Varget behind the 300 gr Barnes Triple Shock at about 2250 fps. I would not be afraid to tackle cape buff with that load.

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
Very handsome rifle! Congratulations, but I really think you need to kill something with it!:whistle:

Major Khan

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
This is an amazing rifle , Sestoppelman. My grandfather , Sepoy Jalaluddin Khan purchased a Winchester Model 1895 lever rifle in .405 Winchester from a shop in Kolkata named " Manton and Co. " in 1931 and was very happy with it. He killed with it ( among other things ) 5 forest panthers , 2 royal Bengal tigers , a few Asian Sloth Bears and 1 rogue Indian elephant . Back in those days , we could only get 300 grain cartridges from ICI Kynoch for it. I killed my life's 1st sambhur deer with that rifle.
However , our model had a metal butt plate that made recoil very painful until he made a homemade recoil pad with rubber.
Congratulations on an excellent purchase .
Screenshot_20191201-080801_01_01.png

Last edited:

35bore

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
Hunted
USA, South Africa, France
Thats a very nice looking rifle Scott. I thought you had a 405 already??? Maybe I have just been gone too long, but i would have bet money you had one of these a few years back.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Just came from a hunt and already longing for the bush
JPmbogo wrote on yhc's profile.
I have factory loaded Hornady 450 NE 3 1/4 DGS that I am selling for not much more than the brass itself at $75/box - see my listing for same.
Justbryan wrote on Rafter JK's profile.
Get Crazy Larry yet? Wishing I had shot Alpine Ibex too!
laurence burkin wrote on UKHunter's profile.
Hi the dude in the picture. It would be cool to know the area (genetics) of the stag you have in your profile picture. I am from New Zealand and shot a stag here that is almost identical, especially the throw backs. I can send you a photo to prove I'm genuine with my enquiry.