Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
Just to give an idea what we have here. No. 1 S is the medium rifle with 24" barrel that measures .675" at the muzzle, so a good size. All other features same as any S stock wise.
Stock on this one is fairly attractive, no figure on most late No.1's and no exception here, but the color is nice, straight with some fiddleback in the buttstock and forearm color is a good match as well.
LOP with the added Pachy Decelerator pad is 14 & 3/8ths inches. Its a good length for me, and pad was done properly.
I mounted a Nikon 3-9x40 that came off another rifle just sold, but this scope has been a good one and should work well here, had to use an extender ring in the back so it could come back far enough so I dont have to stretch my recently whiplashed neck so far! Yep, got rear ended on the 4th of July! About 95 percent normal now but was pretty sore for a few days.
Weight with scope is an even 9#.

Headspace looks good, lacking any gauges, I inked some shoulders of some factory rounds and I can see they touch it inside. Somehow over the years I have amassed a fair amount of factory fodder in this caliber, having mostly Rem, probably 8 boxes, 4 boxes of Hornady Superformance, and one box of Federal with 225 gr Trophy Bonded bullets in nickel cases, still a full box, hate to shoot them!
I know I posted one pic here earlier but here is a couple more.

IMG_2178.JPG
IMG_2184.JPG

my 35 whelen #1 has a 22" barrel, serial number is134-292xx with 3.5-10x leuplod scope and is a good shooter. i have not killed any thing with it yet, but will try to remedy that this year. i mounted a 1.75-6x leupold on my #1 in 45-70, but i may try it on my 35 whelen

DSCN0109 (2).JPG
DSCN0112 (2).JPG
DSCN0111 (2).JPG
DSCN0414 (2).JPG
DSCN0415 (2).JPG
DSCN0416 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Another fine one Scott

Looking around for info, and apparently this model I have is a TALO Distributor's rifle and has a 1-12 twist. That surprises me a little as 14 -16 is the usual standard.
Several places I read said the same thing though, 1-12. I will try the tight patch rod thing tomorrow to try to verify.

Just to give an idea what we have here. No. 1 S is the medium rifle with 24" barrel that measures .675" at the muzzle, so a good size. All other features same as any S stock wise.
Stock on this one is fairly attractive, no figure on most late No.1's and no exception here, but the color is nice, straight with some fiddleback in the buttstock and forearm color is a good match as well.
LOP with the added Pachy Decelerator pad is 14 & 3/8ths inches. Its a good length for me, and pad was done properly.
I mounted a Nikon 3-9x40 that came off another rifle just sold, but this scope has been a good one and should work well here, had to use an extender ring in the back so it could come back far enough so I dont have to stretch my recently whiplashed neck so far! Yep, got rear ended on the 4th of July! About 95 percent normal now but was pretty sore for a few days.

Headspace looks good, lacking any gauges, I inked some shoulders of some factory rounds and I can see they touch it inside. Somehow over the years I have amassed a fair amount of factory fodder in this caliber, having mostly Rem, probably 8 boxes, 4 boxes of Hornady Superformance, and one box of Federal with 225 gr Trophy Bonded bullets in nickel cases, still a full box, hate to shoot them!

View attachment 412540View attachment 412539
Very nice and great looking wood!

You guys and your Ruger #1s are making me jealous. But, not being a #1 aficionado, what are the differences between the #1 models? 1A, 1S, 1H, etc. I'm guessing barrel contour?

You guys and your Ruger #1s are making me jealous. But, not being a #1 aficionado, what are the differences between the #1 models? 1A, 1S, 1H, etc. I'm guessing barrel contour?
Weight and length. 1-A is 22" light sporter, S is the 24 or 26" medium, H is the heavy barreled for big boy calibers. The ones that hurt on both ends for masochists!

Weight and length. 1-A is 22" light sporter, S is the 24 or 26" medium, H is the heavy barreled for big boy calibers. The ones that hurt on both ends for masochists!
Thanks!

I could see myself obtaining a #1 in .375 H and H or maybe a .458WM someday. But, I see these guys with #1s in the Lott (Forrest Halley) and .416 Rigby cartridges, and there's NO WAY I would want to shoot one, let alone own one. But I see them for sale at a premium all the time. I have those cartridges in my CZ 550s, and they're enough recoil for me in the heavier CZ rifles? Guess I'm a recoil wimp!

That's a sweet looking piece Mr. Scott. Good on you!

View attachment 412540View attachment 412539
Beautiful Sestoppelman! That light colour particularly suits the Ruger lines and the red decelerator pad finishes it off perfectly.

my 35 whelen #1 has a 22" barrel, serial number is134-292xx with 3.5-10x leuplod scope and is a good shooter. i have not killed any thing with it yet, but will try to remedy that this year. i mounted a 1.75-6x leupold on my #1 in 45-70, but i may try it on my 35 whelen

View attachment 412546View attachment 412548View attachment 412549View attachment 412552View attachment 412553View attachment 412554
They are both very handsome, but the wood on that bottom rifle is exceptional. No1's are great value, I cant believe they sell for what they do.

I could see myself obtaining a #1 in .375 H and H or maybe a .458WM someday. But, I see these guys with #1s in the Lott (Forrest Halley) and .416 Rigby cartridges, and there's NO WAY I would want to shoot one, let alone own one. But I see them for sale at a premium all the time. I have those cartridges in my CZ 550s, and they're enough recoil for me in the heavier CZ rifles? Guess I'm a recoil wimp!
I haven't fired the big ones either, but I can say the 375H&H with that chunky Tropical barrel is a real sweet spot item - great looks, great balance, great performance. I started that other thread on who has actually hunted DG with a No1 to dispell the myth that No1's are unsuitable for DG, and I suspect by the time that has run its course we will have dozens of people who have actually done it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg