Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
Snagged this off of Gunbroker recently. Seller had it listed as the common as dirt model 1200 but the caliber caught my eye so took a peek and lo and behold it was a rare model 81, at least as sold stateside. It was imported from the UK and I don't know what they call it there. Anyway, its in good shape, with fairly profuse and nicely done checkering, a PH marked red pad and of course commercial 98 Mauser action. Most likely a Spanish Santa Barbara action as most PH rifles are. My dad had
IMG_2817.JPG
one some time ago very similar and he liked it very much. I have shot it once and it did OK but had flyers and with the scope cranked all the way over in the supplied PH rings and bases it still would not center for windage, so slapped a windage adjustable Leupold base on and brought it right over. I have seen this before where the holes for the bases are not in line with the bore. I floated the barrel as well which should correct the flyer issue. It did show promise. Some PO had chucked the sights so had them replaced yesterday with the proper Williams sights it would have come with. Its a very pretty rifle.
IMG_2818.JPG
IMG_2820.JPG

Nice!

You can't go wrong with that one.

It's a good looking rifle

That's a nice looking rifle!

Thanks guys! Been looking for one of these for years, hard to come by.

Great find

Agreed, that is a nice looking rifle. I owned a 30-06 Parker Hale in the mid 70s. The gun was very accurate, I've always regretted letting it go.

Congrats, it's a pretty gun!

Great pick-up Ses.
Just what you needed, another 7x57.

The Ph 1200's were relatively common in Australia somewhere from about the 80's through the 90's but it's been quite some time since I've seen one, although i'm sure there are plenty still about.

This model that you scored was way more rare, being regarded as the "delux" version.
I much prefer the stock shape and finish on this model than the 1200's and of-course there's nothing wrong with a Santa Barbara.

Happy shooting.

Fantastic pick up. Best of the PH models. You won't be disapointed. Envy*
Don't know what ammo you were shooting but try heavier weight 154+ / longer / round nose, projjies for best accuracy.

I started with some 150 Nosler Ballistic Tips which shoot well in all my 7mms. I think it will shoot them well when I fine tune the rifle. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhakhoa123

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,