New to me CZ550 9.3x62

jwood1284

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
New member here,

I just picked up a like new 550 American in the 9.3x62 flavor. I’ve yet to get to Africa, but it is in my 10yr plan. The story on this rifle is it was purchased for a stag hunt in Europe that never materialized. Fired very little, if at all. It came with a Simmons scope in Millet rings...which strikes me as odd for such a high quality rifle. I ordered Talleys, and mounted a VX3i I had laying around. Some $$ later and I have Lapua brass, dies, and a stockpile of 250gr accubonds ready for a load workup. This rifle will serve me well here in the states until I can get it in the field on a PG hunt. At the very least, it will raise eyebrows on whitetail hunts!

giYQB1C.jpg

Attachments

• giYQB1C.jpg
    giYQB1C.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 2,414
Very nice rifle, welcome to AH. I’ve been working up loads for a new 9.3 myself. Loads of fun.

Congrats on your purchase! Sometimes preowned rifle / scope combinations make little sense, but that helps the price to be more attractive and as you did, it's not difficult to replace a scope after you purchase a rifle. Best of luck on your future hunts with it!

Welcome aboard jwood1284. That is a mighty nice looking stock on your 9.3 x 62. Was that rifle possibly done by CZ's Custom Shop? That caliber will make a wonderful Whitetail and or Elk rifle. When it comes time for you to go to Africa, it will be right at home there as well.

I have the same rifle and have shot 28 head of African game with it. The 9.3x62 is a classic caliber and gets the job done.

Pretty wood.

Welcome to AH.

Welcome aboard jwood1284. That is a mighty nice looking stock on your 9.3 x 62. Was that rifle possibly done by CZ's Custom Shop? That caliber will make a wonderful Whitetail and or Elk rifle. When it comes time for you to go to Africa, it will be right at home there as well.

I'm not sure. It is a really nice handle compared to some other CZs I've owned. I'll pull the action and see if it is bedded, or I can probably call CZ and inquire about it.

Nice rifle, 9.3x62 is my favorite mid bore in a bolt gun, and 9.3x74 in a double.

For reloads I have found that RL-17 or Ramshot Big Game powder just plain flat work in the x62.

Enjoy your new rifle

I had the same rifle and used the same bullet. IMR4064 gave the best and most uniform results. Around 60 grs or a bit more is good.

Jwood1284, if you are into iron sights at all, take a look at NECG front and rear sight offerings. I have a set on my CZ in 404 Jeffery. With QD rings on the scope you can go from scope to irons or vice-versa in just a couple of minutes with no loss of zero.

Frequently, people will pull their good glass off the rifle, and throw whatever cheap components they've got laying around to sell it thinking it adds value. It doesn't. Should just sell it without glass.

Or, many will buy quality steel and put crap glass on it thinking it'll work

Great rifle in great caliber. And yours seems to have pretty wood. Unless someone had it bedded, it is not bedded from the factory. For whitetails I would recommend softer bullets that expand quickly otherwise you may find yourself shooting clean through animals.

Thanks 8X68! I picked up a 100 round nox of 9.3mm 285 grain Mega bullets on sale at Brownells, with a 10% off coupon code on top of the sale price last month. I plan to get Reed's Ammunition & Research to build a load for me in the 2350 -2400 fps muzzle velocity range they load their 9.3X62mm ammo with Prvi Partizan and Hornady projectiles.

Thanks 8X68! I picked up a 100 round nox of 9.3mm 285 grain Mega bullets on sale at Brownells, with a 10% off coupon code on top of the sale price last month. I plan to get Reed's Ammunition & Research to build a load for me in the 2350 -2400 fps muzzle velocity range they load their 9.3X62mm ammo with Prvi Partizan and Hornady projectiles.
Good deal. Just looked up my load data. 63gr's of H414 (max charge), CCI 200 primer, Lapua brass, C.O.L 3.236". 5 shot 0.60" group at 100yds, 5 shot 1.44" group at 200yds (200yd group was 2.5" low with 1.5" high hold at 100yds). Haven't been able to try 300yds yet. This is what worked in my CZ 550 FS. Results may vary of course with your rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy76

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross