New to me CZ 550 9.3x62

Shot the rifle again on Monday, using 270 gr Speers with Win 760. Started out OK, but got better with the top end loads or perhaps it likes a dirty barrel.
Either way, 64 grs had 3 touching and one just out, that felt off to me. 65 grs put 4 inside an inch in a nice round group, on a hot barrel. Very pleased with that.

I love this and want one soo bad. I have one in 375 that I love. I want to get a 9.3 x62 to complement my double which is 9.3x74r. I also want to acquire one of these in 458 lott, 505 gibbs, and 416 rigby (to complement my 416 ruger.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 6.45.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 6.45.44 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 73
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 6.45.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 6.45.45 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 74
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 6.45.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 6.45.47 AM.png
    974.8 KB · Views: 76
I was wondering if anybody know the difference in weigh of the barreled action in 9,3x62 compared to 6,5x55?

I remember reading people thought the 6,5x55 felt heavy, while 9,3 felt nearly right.

Looking at a barrel weight calculator, there should only be 0.25-0.35 lbs in difference.

I dont know but a bigger hole means less steel and thus lighter with the same barrel profile.

Probably the 3rd one of these I have owned, maybe 4 counting the Lux model I had a few years, that I should never have sold.

Anyway, snagged this off GB recently sporting a Leupold Rifleman 2-7X scope in the rings shown. Sadly when it arrived the Leupy was toast, the eyepiece being broken off and laying in the box!
Rifle had a couple layers of bubble wrap around it and then stuffed into a box, scope on and bolt in, two no-no's in my view. I accepted it anyway for the rifle which as we all know the 550's are getting scarce.

Emailed the seller, didnt hear anything for nearly 2 days, but finally replied that he could send me a Leupy 4-12 scope, model unknown. OK, fine. He decided it had to go to my FFL guy instead of directly to me necessitating an extra trip to get it. Thanks!

I asked if he wanted the busted Leupy back, crickets again, finally emails back today, and says, and I quote, "You can keep the broken one!" Not sure if that means with his blessings or put it where the sun dont shine, but whatever, its going back to Leupold and they have said they would take care of me.

When I got the rifle home the other day I took it apart to inspect the insides and true to form another mishap! The front action screw fell out, landed on the floor somewhere in the loading bench area and just flat disappeared! I looked high and low for an hour, gone! No doubt it will turn up someday, but in the meantime I found an ebay guy who had both screws so ordered from him and also ordered just the one from Numrich and both came today. Both are the right threads but the one from Numrich is the proper length, the ones from ebay guy are a tad long, so will keep them for spares.

As I had planned to swap scopes on this anyway thats not huge so will shoot initially with the Meo 3-9 which is a really good scope.

If this one shoots like the others I have had, I should probably hang onto it... at least for more than a few months!!
View attachment 464418
View attachment 464419
@sestoppelman
Don't you just hate it when you drop something and can't find it. I loaded 100 22K Hornets put them in a bright green ammo box 6 inches square and a bit over 2 inches tall in the reloading room. This room is 3 meters by 1.8 meters and 2.4 meters tall. Do you think I can find the bloody thing in there.
It's up there with the sock that goes missing in the washing machine never to be seen again.

I have the CZ 550 Lux version in that calibre, and I really can't find fault with it at all. I also run a Meopta scope on top, works well for me.
@DmacD
Meopta are a great scope at a good mid price. I have 2 3.5-10X42 and c a nt full them. If I can see 22 cal bullet holes clearly @100 yards that will do me.

Hi Sestoppelman,

In my experience with W760 in my 9,3x62, I agree with yours. With 285/286 gr bullets this powder shines! The OAL of my cartridges is significatly longer then the standard because the magazine length of the BRNO ZKK 600 (the same as in the CZ 500 standard series). I can reach almost 2500 f/s with normal case web expansion/case life. So, I conclude, with pressures aceptable with my components and rifle.

@sestoppelman
Don't you just hate it when you drop something and can't find it. I loaded 100 22K Hornets put them in a bright green ammo box 6 inches square and a bit over 2 inches tall in the reloading room. This room is 3 meters by 1.8 meters and 2.4 meters tall. Do you think I can find the bloody thing in there.
It's up there with the sock that goes missing in the washing machine never to be seen again.
Been there, done that!

View attachment 465383
I ended up installing a Horus Vision 1.5-8x on my cz550…..the horus vision reticle should give some help connecting with targets out to 400 yds.
That is a perfect looking rifle. The stock looks slimmer than my American stocks. What modifications did you make? What does the rifle weigh?

Well, it only took 4 months but I found the missing screw the other day! It had bounced off my rubber floor tiles and landed in pocket type cabinet on the floor behind me, behind a box of ammo.
Was looking for a box of ammo and pulled a box out and right there behind it was the missing screw!
LMAO!!

That is a perfect looking rifle. The stock looks slimmer than my American stocks. What modifications did you make? What does the rifle weigh?
I reprofiled the cheekpiece, shortened the forend & refinished with a darker stain & sealer.

I don’t have a weight on it, currently in RSA on a hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg