New to me BRNO

OK, I'm jealous

I HWL,

I never understood that possibility...because to do that the shooter must move the head to a lower position, position that put the forehead almost in contact with the scope!!! Very dangerous in my view, almost sure to hit the forehead with the ocular rim......!
Perhaps it worked with those early low power and long eye releif scopes like the Lyman Alaskan and others of that period that can be mounted forward enough.

Best!

CF
I think the reason for high mounts on Euro rifles was/is kind of reasonable when you think about it. Back in those days and especially in Europe, hunting was done via open sights mostly. Also hunting with a scope was done in low visibility/night conditions and/or from tree stands, ambush style and/or at longer distances. So plenty of time usually to get decent cheek weld or head position even with a stock made for iron sights. The side mounts is something that was carried over from days and rifles, where the rear bridge was open so no scope base could be mounted there anyway. I have never had problems using higher scope mounts even though I prefer very low mounts. Maybe it's because I grew up with open sights and like rifle stocks that allow proper use of them rather than irons being an afterthought. If anything I see the scope as an additions/afterthought. I have seen more "scope eyebrows" from magnums and people not using even properly set up scope rifle correctly than from high mounted scopes (have not seen any such injuries really). I like both, low mounted QD mounts and higher mounts that allow use of irons without scope being removed. Cool and practical. :)

As a matter of fact I just ordered a set to replace my Warne rings on my Brno 21 as those need to be high due to original bolt handle but do not allow the sights to be seen and I figure if the scope has to be high, I want the benefit of irons without scope removal. ;)

From what I have found out and read, most of these early BRNO rifles that made it to this country during the iron curtain days came without rings and at the time no one was producing them here so people got creative!
Most likely. Plus high mounts were needed to begin with to clear the bolt handle. So why not have a mount that also allows use of irons. That said I'm not a fan of side mounts due to drilling the receiver sides, yet I'm warming up to them also. Nostalgia I guess. I like claw mounts the best. With see-through rings...LOL

Nice find. I also have one that has the original factory single trigger. Those were made near the end of the models production. I'm sure you will enjoy your new rifle.

I HWL,

I never understood that possibility...because to do that the shooter must move the head to a lower position, position that put the forehead almost in contact with the scope!!! Very dangerous in my view, almost sure to hit the forehead with the ocular rim......!

Best!

CF

Not a problem, when you are familiar with this kind of shooting.

Most old German claw mounts were made "see through"....to use iron sights with mounted scope.

HWL

One fine tool of the hunting trade! Congratulations!

I have collected and hunted with the model 21 and 22 (manlicher version) for over 50 or so years, the best commercial rifle ever produced without a doubt...I presently have a 21 in 8x57, a ultra rare 21 on a L.R. Action, single trigger, full rib; a 21 in 8mm-06 Ackley that I put together, and a 7x57 mod. 22 and a custom switch barrel I built from a mod. 21 its a 7x57 and 9.3x62 original barrel rebored..

All mod. 21s and 22s came only with double set triggers other than the L.R. model..The bottom metal would have to be customized to take any single trigger, and that's been done by many gunsmiths, its just a matter of milling out some metal..Brno also produced mod. 98s during WW2 for the Germany army under duress I might add, and you will see them customized and they will have single triggers as a rule..as are guild rifles with the Brno signature on the top ring...BTW its a .323 caliber (32 cal) On todays market they sell for $1000 to 1800 or more depending on orginality, condition, and caliber...The 21 and 22 come in 7x57, 8x57, 7x64, 6.5x57 best I recall, and I recall seeing one in 8x60 but don't recall if it was original.

Really nice gun you have and that $400 G&H scope mount is awesome..

Last edited:
I have collected and hunted with the model 21 and 22 (manlicher version) for over 50 or so years, the best commercial rifle ever produced without a doubt...I presently have a 21 in 8x57, a ultra rare 21 on a L.R. Action, single trigger, full rib; a 21 in 8mm-06 Ackley that I put together, and a 7x57 mod. 22 and a custom switch barrel I built from a mod. 21 its a 7x57 and 9.3x62 original barrel rebored..

All mod. 21s and 22s came only with double set triggers other than the L.R. model..The bottom metal would have to be customized to take any single trigger, and that's been done by many gunsmiths, its just a matter of milling out some metal..Brno also produced mod. 98s during WW2 for the Germany army under duress I might add, and you will see them customized and they will have single triggers as a rule..as are guild rifles with the Brno signature on the top ring...BTW its a .323 caliber (32 cal) On todays market they sell for $1000 to 1800 or more depending on orginality, condition, and caliber...The 21 and 22 come in 7x57, 8x57, 7x64, 6.5x57 best I recall, and I recall seeing one in 8x60 but don't recall if it was original.

Really nice gun you have and that $400 G&H scope mount is awesome..
Ray,
They indeed made some 8x60 mod 21/22. I have a 21 in 8x60. Original barrel, bolt and receiver, stock is from another rifle so now it is 21F (not sure if the original was also full stock or half stock). I also have a 21H in 7x57 that has what looks like original single trigger (trigger modified for adjustability looks like but the bottom metal is un-machined factory piece).

Indeed all Brno 8mms were .323” or S configuration. This goes for the Mod21/22 in 8x57 and 8x60, as well as the ZG47 in the above calibers as well as the 8x64.

I have seen a few ZKK600 8x64s as well. All .323.
Next time you come to the states, please bring me a BRNO 600 in 8x64s.:confused: I have ammo and dies all ready to go!:rolleyes::whistle:(y) Unobtanium hereabouts!:mad:

My 21H 8x57IS is factory original and equipped with single trigger and round bolt knob. Both similar to the ZG47 in style. A rare one. I also had a 7x64 that was equipped with a single trigger that was marked Jaeger, so may have been an after market trigger but the bottom plate was not machined for two triggers.

My 21H 8x57IS is factory original and equipped with single trigger and round bolt knob. Both similar to the ZG47 in style. A rare one. I also had a 7x64 that was equipped with a single trigger that was marked Jaeger, so may have been an after market trigger but the bottom plate was not machined for two triggers.
@Longwalker, that sounds like a very fine rifle. Could I see some pics? I also have one but with double set-triggers. The ZG47 bolt had the same shroud, safety, cocking piece and trigger as the spoon handle ones. I have only seen one that had the ZG47 bolt shroud, safety, cocking piece and trigger.

Yes, I’d be pleased to post a picture but I’m at a remote camp in the BC bush for a month, so please be patient!

Yes, I’d be pleased to post a picture but I’m at a remote camp in the BC bush for a month, so please be patient!
And now I'm even more jealous! :D Where abouts are you? Hunting? Vacationing? Isolating?

It’s where my wife and I spend our summers. A little log cabin in the bush, Hslfway between Prince George and Prince Rupert. 80 km from nearest town, nearest neighbours are a couple km away across the lake. Trout and char fishing in the lake, salmon and steelhead a half hour drive, and often bears, mule deer and sometimes moose in the yard. I suppose we’re isolating but can’t tell the difference from normal here. I like that.

Here is my reply with pictures, sorry it's so late! bottom: Customized Brno 22F 7x57, Middle a customized Brno 21H 7x64, And the top one is the original 21H 8x57IS. Lower pictures is after I restored the finish on 8x57 and replaced the safety/bolt shroud.
P1040450.jpg
IMG_2885.jpg

Beautiful rifle.

I would be a bit concerned about the 7.0 stamp on the barrel ahead of the receiver this indicates 7mm bore so is either 7x57 or 7x64.....I would have it checked anyway.....may not be an 8mm.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gilbert89L

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross