New to me BRNO

ian-bradley

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia
Check out this Brno 21 in 8x57 I just picked up!
B2E721DC-FD29-4935-91A3-8FFFF4256F84.jpeg
3731B6F0-AEB7-418F-ADD3-78BF108F268B.jpeg

1DF6ADAA-A2FE-437A-883B-4E444549E7CC.jpeg
69F35BD3-10AA-4A57-BAF0-7452DB3CFDD5.jpeg
ECC92428-C4CC-45BE-9F22-2DAF6957E711.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow crispy! Congrats very nice.

Looks good, congrats on the new addition!

Congrats, some guys have all the luck!!

Excellent rifle , Mr. Bradley . The 8 × 57 mm Mauser is a spectacular .30 caliber . The BRNO Model 21 is a magnificent control round feed platform . What ammunition do you plan to use in yours ?

Excellent rifle , Mr. Bradley . The 8 × 57 mm Mauser is a spectacular .30 caliber .

...the 8x57 mm Mauser is THE spectacular .30 caliber..... :D Cheers:

HWL

Last edited:
...the 8x57 Mauser is THE spectacular .30 caliber..... :D Cheers:

HWL
Well ... I personally prefer the .30-06 Springfield with the early ( Pre 1962 ) 220 grain Hornady copper clad steel jacketed round nosed solid metal covered bullets , HWL . How ever , the 8 × 57 mm Mauser is also excellent . During the time of my career ... There were no non expanding bullets for the 8 × 57 mm Mauser , how ever .

Great rifle, cartridge, mount and scope!!! Perfect combination to me! The single trigger is original? I know some of the latest BRNO 21 were offered with single trigger.

Best!

CF

Congratulation.....

But be carefully, as far as I know, Brno did not made 8x57I rifles at this time, but the more common and more powerfull 8x57IS only.

Check bore dimensions.... or even better have checked it by a competent gunsmith.

Anyways......I envey you,... great find!

HWL

Indeed all Brno 8mms were .323” or S configuration. This goes for the Mod21/22 in 8x57 and 8x60, as well as the ZG47 in the above calibers as well as the 8x64.

I have seen a few ZKK600 8x64s as well. All .323.

Very nice find. I am intrigued by the G&H mount. Why would you install that on a rifle with one of the best integrated receiver mounting systems, still in use today?

Very nice rifle. Congrats! Brnos are indeed .323 or S bore. Does the marking on the side of the barrel say 7.9? It looks like 7.0....

Hi Dewald,

I also thought about the side mount in this BRNO... My own answer is that in those early BRNO integral machined bases there were very few rings to fit them. BRNO-Meopta made very good mounts then. Usually including a simple 3x20 Meopta scope.

Best!

CF

Very nice find. I am intrigued by the G&H mount. Why would you install that on a rifle with one of the best integrated receiver mounting systems, still in use today?

Because in a pinch, you still can use the iron sights.....

HWL

I HWL,

I never understood that possibility...because to do that the shooter must move the head to a lower position, position that put the forehead almost in contact with the scope!!! Very dangerous in my view, almost sure to hit the forehead with the ocular rim......!
Perhaps it worked with those early low power and long eye releif scopes like the Lyman Alaskan and others of that period that can be mounted forward enough.

Best!

CF

Removable and holds zero , I have on a Savage 99 from 1950 .

From what I have found out and read, most of these early BRNO rifles that made it to this country during the iron curtain days came without rings and at the time no one was producing them here so people got creative!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg