Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
CRS, NRA Patron Member, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Hunted
RSA

I had a chance to pick up this one with 26 inch barrels and think it might be a way to get the .45-90 double that I wanted by merely extending the chambers by .3 inch. This would allow use of .45-70 or .45-90 ammo as I do in my 1886 .45-90 for which I have brass, bullets, etc. It is from the estate of Bob Hynden who made my Simson .405 WCF double; it was his personal hunting rifle.

One of the interesting features is the circa 1964 Beretta GR 2 action with coin finish, coin double triggers, extractors, and 3 point lockup (two under lugs plus Greener cross bolt).
Beret ta USA emailed the user manual PDF for the GR 2 to me!

Plus cocked hammer indicators and articulated front trigger.
Plus American made 26 inchMcG barrels. I think McGowen made them.
Plus Leupold variable 1-4 shotgun scope regulated at 75 yards with Remington 300 grain bullets that print a R and L in one inch.

Plus very nice wood and checkering with cheek piece, thick recoil pad, and ¾ inch sling swivels for European style sling.

Plus Anson release of semi beavertail forend.

Plus 100 rounds loaded ammo, 100 primed brass, and dies.

Plus a huge two rifle aluminum travel case. I may want a takedown case later; right now I can tote it in a leather case for a scoped rifle.

Bob finished the rifle in 2008 and posted details and I located that thread which contains much detail for the provenance.

The rifle has been hunted but looks to be in very good condition with only one minor stock ding which Jeff W can surely fix.. I had it shipped to nearby Armadillo Gun Range and dealer and I picked it up yesterday. I plan to go there soon for test firing. If it shoots as advertised, it will be fun.

Attachments

• 54679_600x400.jpg
    54679_600x400.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 672
  • 54676_600x400.jpg
    54676_600x400.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 2,171
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice find. Hope it shoots as good as your 405

Nice looking rifle

Nice Double

it might be a way to get the .45-90 double that I wanted by merely extending the chambers by .3 inch. This would allow use of .45-70 or .45-90 ammo as I do in my 1886 .45-90 for which I have brass, bullets, etc. It is from the estate of Bob Hynden who made my Simson .405 WCF double; it was his personal hunting rifle.

I have been thinking about a similar, but much less beautiful, project..

You see new in the box Russian Baikal doubles in 45-70 pretty regularly go for $600ish on GB and other sites..

I have thought several times about picking one of them up, and boring out the chambers for 45-90 or 45-110... It could be a pretty cool way to build a DG Double on the super cheap (not that I would actually take it on a buff hunt or after an ele... I just think it might be a fun project to tinker with).. $600 purchase price for the gun.. $65 to rent the reamer/go and no-go guages/t-handle.. and about an hour of labor in the project.. and youre done..

The actions are rated to 65K PSI.. 45-90 only produces about 45K.. so it should be safe.. and 45-90 can easily reach 4200 ft lbs of energy without getting crazy with the reloads, which takes it across the legal threshold for most places you would hunt DG in Africa.. (again, a fun project, not a serious DG gun project.. when its time to chase buff next year, I will be doing it with either a 375H&H or a 416 Taylor.. not a modified russian double)..

By all accounts the baikals are supposed to be reliable and reasonably accurate.. theyre just ugly as sin, and arch typically Russian.. basic, functional, and rough.. but work all day, every day..

To Dave and all,
Thanks for the flowers - nice to know some experienced double gunners agree with my choice.
MDWest,
Sounds like you have figured it out. Please let us know if you proceed.

@mdwest Those bakails have super thin barrels on the 45/70 and the larger part of the barrels is only a tad longer than the 45/70. That idea has been bounced around since they first came out and the conclusion is that it wouldn't be a safe idea to lengthen the chamber and they are only rated to 32Kpsi on the 45/70 rifle. just above trap door loads and below lever gun loads. A couple guys I know have shot them on pigs and whitetails and use as a fun truck/atv/utv gun. and you are right about the ugly part

why you gotta go and rain on my parade @AZDAVE ????

Everyone should stand up and take note.. this might be the first time in the history of AH that @AZDAVE has discouraged a potential big bore purchase by another member..

I take this as a sign of the apocalypse.. I am running for my tornado shelter now... :D:D:D

No need to run for shelter. Not saying don't buy a ugly clunky rifle, just don't recommend running a 45/90 to 45/120 reamer into those thin barrels for safety concerns...

AzDave,
Being brief because of site response time.
Range outing best was a R&L two inches at 50 yards and 1.75 inches at 100 yards.
Not yet as good as .405 double, but still learning rifle.

why you gotta go and rain on my parade @AZDAVE ????

Everyone should stand up and take note.. this might be the first time in the history of AH that @AZDAVE has discouraged a potential big bore purchase by another member..

I take this as a sign of the apocalypse.. I am running for my tornado shelter now... :D:D:D
The fat lady has sung! Life as we know it is over! (probably for good reason)

@crs That is great results for your first forays to the range with a new double. That will be a great hog rifle and most anything else in NA or plains game that get in your sights.

Look forward to seeing how your load development goes.

MDW............I would go with the project. Just say, .45-2.4, no need to get crazy. Stuff a 500 grain Hornady round nose in it, fill the case with Red Dot, and let her rip. If successful, you may shoot hunting loads with no concern. BTW..........I like the Beretta project a little better..................FWB

More seriously, Buffalo Bore 430 grain penetrators chronograph 1920 fps average from 22" bbls, out of a mere 45-70. This yields over 3500 ft lbs of energy and makes a 45-90 or 45-110 conversion less appealing to me. Less necessary. Unless you planned to shoot some black powder loads.....But a fun project, just the same.................FWB

FWB,
Good point-that BB .45-70 ammo has also proven to be very effective on the largest of game. Additionally, the Grizzly .45-70 +p 405 grain Punch bullet at 2050 fps and 3780 ME is also a penetrator load.
You and others have helped me to decide to fully explore all .45-70 ammo options before making any changes to the DR. Thanks.
Besides, I already have a DG .45-90 1886, proven to take ele, buff, leopard, bison, water buff, etc. ;)
I plan to shoot boar with Beretta DR in early October to further test it.

crs......................an ele with an '86................I salute you...........................Bill

It was a team bullet testing effort and a pretty good story, but way to long for a forum post.

@flatwater bill @crs @mdwest This is a good post but something said REALLY concerns me!!!!

Some advice put in, I am not looking a ruffling any feathers but to point out a major safety concern.

"MDW............I would go with the project. Just say, .45-2.4, no need to get crazy. Stuff a 500 grain Hornady round nose in it, fill the case with Red Dot, and let her rip. If successful, you may shoot hunting loads with no concern. BTW..........I like the Beretta project a little better..................FWB"

With all the reloading I do I know that red dot is a very fast burning powder and the above is way over pressures. I pulled up quickloads and ran a 500gr hornaday, with 21 grains of red dot (That was a %100 percent full load) and came up with estimated !!!in excess of 80,000 PSI barrel pressures!!!

That is way over any sane load for any rifle let alone a double. Those bakials max recommended pressures in 32,000. Depending on how the beretta was regulated my guess is that the max pressures are for the lever rifle loads 40K PSI or lower.

Again not looking to hurt anyones feeling and I am sure everyone checks the correct powder loads etc when they are loading. So just be careful and work up safe loads.

Dave,
I do not know FWB personally, but from reading his posts, assumed his Red Dot comment was in jest; Sarcasm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg