New to me 7x57 small ring mauser

MS 9x56

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
I just purchased what appears to be a small ring 7x57 mm hunting rifle with half round and half octagon barrel with a full length rib on top of barrel. Built by Willi Karl in Luneburg Germany in 1940. Proofed in Ulm. It has double set triggers and a Schnabel forearm. Stock has some gouges on left side but otherwise in good shape. There is no mauser markings on it, just maker and town. It has 2 leaf fold down rear sight, 1 marked 100 and 1 marked 300. Front sight appears to be solid silver. Can't wait to get it out and shoot it. Should make a fine hunting rifle. Grip is checkered and it is fitted with sling swivels. There is quite a bit of fancy scroll engraving.

Finally able to get some pictures.

BC30A203-334C-44D0-960E-21D8C983DF9C.jpeg
9E5F07EB-CB9F-4EF6-951B-BA0ADFC4A172.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't see a lot of those. I like it. Are you going to get someone to fit a set of rings and a scope to it? How is the bore? Where did you find it?

I am going to use it with open sights. Bore is nice and shiney with sharp rifling,
What is the barrel length?

doesn’t appear it was shot much. Found it at a gun shop in PA. It is the only one I have ever handled with the Matt full length rib and half round half octagon barrel. Once I put it to my shoulder it was all over but the paying. Going to get her to the range this weekend weather permitting. Will be shooting 175 grain round nose. Is there really any other load for this beauty!

What is the barrel length?
Just measured it at 24”. Seems longer due to the short forearm. The set trigger did not work so when I separated action from stock I turned the adjustment screw out to reactivate the set trigger. It works very well now but when set the front trigger pull is ounces not pounds. When using front trigger unset it is a bit under 6 pounds. Now I know why it was adjusted the way it was.

Love the look of that barrel

Thank you for that information. The German guns sight is where I got my information on proof marks. The shop I bought it from believed it was a GI bring back after WWII. Sure is a lot nicer than most I have seen. I was suprized they were still making hunting rifles in Germany in 1940.

Congratulations

What a sweet little rifle in a very desirable caliber. Even though you plan on using iron sights it would really be nice to have the original scope and claw mounts. Since it uses the original flag safety the mounts were probably fairly high.

Congratulations

What a sweet little rifle in a very desirable caliber. Even though you plan on using iron sights it would really be nice to have the original scope and claw mounts. Since it uses the original flag safety the mounts were probably fairly high.
That sounds like a good plan-probably need to root around a bit to find them but it would be nice to have the original parts. Even if you put a modern scope on for actual hunting. Beautiful rifle.

I'm so jealous...
Call Mark at NECG in New Hampshire for claw mounts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross