New to me 416 Taylor Improved

Cleveland48

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hello everyone, few weeks back I picked up a interarms mark X in this clambering. Also first time reloading for improved cartridge. I've yet to find the max charge yet, but rifle seems to be very promising. So far I've mainly used the speer 350 grain mag tip bullets, and norma 416 taylor brass. Using RL 15 I've worked up to 80.0 grains for 2,620 fps with zero pressure signs. Still maintains easy bolt lift, and no swipe on case head. Do believe I'm going to settle on 2600 fps though. The rifle came with leupold QR bases and a 1.5x4.5 nikon scope. Barrel is 25.5 inches long and has barrel band swivel. Pretty sure the bolt handle is custom, since it looks nothing like my other interarms bolts. Has nice set of single leaf Express sights. Also worked with some 400 DGX with IMR 4320 powder in quality cartridge 416 taylor brass. No issues hitting 2410 fps with no pressure signs. Gun seems to be plenty accurate and well put together.
20200606_100845.jpg
20200513_172100.jpg

I did have a problem at 1st with the 2nd round always popping out of the left side of magazine after ejecting the first round. I didn't alot of under cutting on the left feed rail, so the rounds sat further under that left rail. So far last 75 rounds I've ran the bolt very hard and no more issues. I'm confident I have that problem sorted out now. I got a good buy on the rifle it came as is with scope and mounts for $670. Only thing I had to work on was the feeding. This fire forming is getting expensive though. So far about two firings and brass is fully formed. Next time I'm gonna do the cream of wheat method.

Get properly headstamped brass! It looks like you have an accurate rifle that you can shoot well and like - would be a shame if you couldn't take it to Africa due to no brass.

I saw a .416 Taylor Improved for sale on GB awhile back. I didn’t bid on it as I already have a standard Taylor. Just curious what the improved case looks like? Maybe you’d be able to post a photo? Thanks!

Get properly headstamped brass! It looks like you have an accurate rifle that you can shoot well and like - would be a shame if you couldn't take it to Africa due to no brass.
Thanks! All my brass is 416 Taylor headstamped. Hopefully if I ever get to go it wont be an issue.

I saw a .416 Taylor Improved for sale on GB awhile back. I didn’t bid on it as I already have a standard Taylor. Just curious what the improved case looks like? Maybe you’d be able to post a photo? Thanks!
Sure thing as soon as they get out of the tumbler I'll post u a picture. I dont have a factory taylor case for comparison anymore I've already formed them. The shoulders are a little sharper, but u cant really tell much, and a little further forward. But fully formed and sized brass is .003" larger diameter right below the shoulder compared to factory taylor brass, so less tapered case for sure. I really didnt think it would be much difference at first, so I started with 416 taylor load data. Didnt realize I'd get up to 80 grains of RL15, but so far no issues and no max yet. Although I am going to stop load development at 78.5 grains and 2600 fps. I only have deer to shoot with it, so that's more than plenty. I may go back and revisit the 400 grain loads to see about what they will max out at eventually.

Your Taylor Improved IS the same rifle that was on GB! Congrats! I looked back in my screen shot photos and found it. I think you got a great deal!

Your Taylor Improved IS the same rifle that was on GB! Congrats! I looked back in my screen shot photos and found it. I think you got a great deal!
Thanks it took me a while to decide if I wanted to bid. Was saving for a model 70 in 416 rem mag. Finally decided that I'd had good luck with interarms and decided to go for it. Honestly would have preferred the normal 416 taylor. I really like the rifle but all this fire forming is for the birds lol.

Thanks it took me a while to decide if I wanted to bid. Was saving for a model 70 in 416 rem mag. Finally decided that I'd had good luck with interarms and decided to go for it. Honestly would have preferred the normal 416 taylor. I really like the rifle but all this fire forming is for the birds lol.
I have a Whitworth Safari .375 and a custom Whitworth in .416 Taylor. I’ve been very satisfied with them. I too have looked at the Win in .416 Remington, but you really can’t beat the value of the Interarms rifles?

I have a Whitworth Safari .375 and a custom Whitworth in .416 Taylor. I’ve been very satisfied with them. I too have looked at the Win in .416 Remington, but you really can’t beat the value of the Interarms rifles?
That's true I'm about half the cost of what that model 70 416 rem mag was gonna cost me. Not including optics and mounts.

Hi Cleveland48, nice looking rifle, looks well put together.

Regarding fireforming, I load for a 500 mdm wildcat which is a blown-out .375 RUM case up to .50 cal. Rather than using expensive projectiles to form cases I use an extremely mild load of pistol powder followed by a case full of corn-meal packed down tight with a biro insert, then seal the neck of the case with a spit-ball of tissue paper tightly wedged in the neck. Firing this load gets the cases within 95% fully formed and good enough for full hunting loads.
It's quick, cheap and easy to do without wasting projectiles.

Cheers.
PaulT.

Hello everyone, few weeks back I picked up a interarms mark X in this clambering. Also first time reloading for improved cartridge. I've yet to find the max charge yet, but rifle seems to be very promising. So far I've mainly used the speer 350 grain mag tip bullets, and norma 416 taylor brass. Using RL 15 I've worked up to 80.0 grains for 2,620 fps with zero pressure signs. Still maintains easy bolt lift, and no swipe on case head. Do believe I'm going to settle on 2600 fps though. The rifle came with leupold QR bases and a 1.5x4.5 nikon scope. Barrel is 25.5 inches long and has barrel band swivel. Pretty sure the bolt handle is custom, since it looks nothing like my other interarms bolts. Has nice set of single leaf Express sights. Also worked with some 400 DGX with IMR 4320 powder in quality cartridge 416 taylor brass. No issues hitting 2410 fps with no pressure signs. Gun seems to be plenty accurate and well put together. View attachment 352202View attachment 352203

Hi Cleveland48

Thats a really nice rifle you have there. I am also a fan of the Interams MkX (y)

I reckon if you're not hitting pressure problems with the 400's at 2410fps - and providing they're accurate, you can finish your experimenting! That load duplicates the classic load for the .416's and should be great for... well... anything!

I would also be keen to see what a fired case looks like.

Cheers,

Russ

Hi Cleveland48, nice looking rifle, looks well put together.

Regarding fireforming, I load for a 500 mdm wildcat which is a blown-out .375 RUM case up to .50 cal. Rather than using expensive projectiles to form cases I use an extremely mild load of pistol powder followed by a case full of corn-meal packed down tight with a biro insert, then seal the neck of the case with a spit-ball of tissue paper tightly wedged in the neck. Firing this load gets the cases within 95% fully formed and good enough for full hunting loads.
It's quick, cheap and easy to do without wasting projectiles.

Cheers.
PaulT.
Thanks Pault, yes next time I will be going this method without a doubt. I have lots of pistol powders on hand, And cream of wheat. I planned to do fire forming this way, but I guess I was to exited and wanted to shoot it. 124 bullets later i realized it was a bad idea haha.

Hi Cleveland48

Thats a really nice rifle you have there. I am also a fan of the Interams MkX (y)

I reckon if you're not hitting pressure problems with the 400's at 2410fps - and providing they're accurate, you can finish your experimenting! That load duplicates the classic load for the .416's and should be great for... well... anything!

I would also be keen to see what a fired case looks like.

Cheers,

Russ
Thanks! My original plan was 400's at 2350 to 2400 fps to mimic the old rigby load, and it hit those numbers easily. I doubt I will do any more experiments with the 400's. Since I only have deer and maybe some hogs to hunt, I decided to drop down to the 350's.

These only pics I have. 1st pic is 2x fired norma brass that has been resized. 2nd pic is 1x fired norma compared too 3x fired and sized quality cartridge brass. I do not have anymore factory brass to compare too. Just ignore the brass scratches I apparently had some debris in my die.
20200607_082049.jpg
20200531_121310.jpg

These only pics I have. 1st pic is 2x fired norma brass that has been resized. 2nd pic is 1x fired norma compared too 3x fired and sized quality cartridge brass. I do not have anymore factory brass to compare too. Just ignore the brass scratches I apparently had some debris in my die. View attachment 352277View attachment 352278
Yep, definitely a sharper shoulder and slightly blown out case below the shoulder. I like it! Here are standard Norma .416 Taylor cases. The one on the left has been sized to create the Taylor from WM brass but unfired. The one on the right is 1x fired. You can see the fired case is blown out a little bit from the WM case dimensions.

B6F32DD3-AC40-4B5B-BCC3-9861AD41F260.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, definitely a sharper shoulder and slightly blown out case below the shoulder. I like it! Here are standard Norma .416 Taylor cases. The one on the left has been sized to create the Taylor from WM brass but unfired. The one on the right is 1x fired. You can see the fired case is blown out a little bit from the WM case dimensions.

View attachment 352289
Yes u can see it's blown out. And thanks for the pics also. Helped me compare them a little more. When using the WM brass are u sizing up in steps or just all at once? I assume your starting with 338 WM brass? I have a die that came with rifle that has expander mandrels in .409, .410, and .416. I assume it was for previous owner to neck up brass. And that properly headstamped Taylor brass is pricey lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasovWoogy

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg