New to me 308 Norma Magnum

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by Shootist43, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Shootist43

Shootist43 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
    I just picked up an InterArms Mark X in 308 Norma Mag. The gun was given to the friend of a friend by his grandfather in 1981 and has been sitting in a closet gathering dust since then. What I'd like to find out is who made the gun. Does anyone have a book showing which manufacturer made a specific rifle by the serial number? The wood has a couple of very minor scratches and dings, bluing and bore look perfect. She sports a Leopold 4 power scope mounted on a Redfield Jr. base. I paid $425 for it, hope I didn't get ripped off.

The serial number is 32603, the barrel is 62.5 cm long. See attached photos.

DSCN1624.JPG DSCN1626.JPG DSCN1627.JPG

Pheroze, cpr0312 and CAustin like this.

2. Mekaniks

Mekaniks GOLD SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, RMEF
    Hunted:
    AK, WY, WA, ID, FL, SD, TX, HI, South Africa- Northwest Province
    I did a little reasearch...

And I am gonna go out on a limb. I think it's a custom gun built on a Interarms Mark X action. I could not find where Interarms made a 308 Norma and the stock pictures looks to me like it is better than standard wood.
    In the late 60's through mid 70's it was fairly popular to convert resonably inexpensive guns like Springfield, Interarms etc, from 30-06 to 308 Norma and dresss them up with nice wood to make better than average rifles.
    I may be way off base but I don't think so. You should take it to competent gun smith and get it checked. He will be able to tell you for sure.
    There have been a couple of different threads here on AH about the 308 Norma and handloading for it. It's a really cool old caliber.
    Anyway, nice gun!

Pheroze and Red Leg like this.

3. Red Leg

Red Leg AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    Yep, I would agree. I do not believe that the Mark X was ever originally in 308 Norma. As Mekaniks suggests, a common conversion was from '06. The stock wood is much nicer than the typical Mark X and styling is sort of a California - Germanic sixties/seventies hybrid that I, at least, have never seen on a commercial rifle. Great .300 magnum caliber.

ack and Mekaniks like this.

4. ack

ack AH Enthusiast

Nice wood ~I doubt you got ripped,lol.

5. Ray B

Ray B AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    With the serial number of the scope you may get the year it was made, which is likely the same year the rifle was built.

6. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    It looks pretty nice to me Art. If you are happy with it......then you didn't get ripped off. Like others have said that wood is too nice for it to be just a basic off the shelf rifle.

7. cpr0312

cpr0312 AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe
    Congrats on the new addition! Looks nice

8. Shootist43

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Charlie, I'm hoping to get some ammo for it delivered to Art's house so we can try it and the 416 out this coming weekend. Looking forward to shooting with you.

Pheroze and CAustin like this.

9. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    I'm looking forward to trying that 416 of yours!

10. Shootist43

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Based on the suspicions of a couple oh AH members namely Mekaniks and RedLeg, I did some more research on the InterArms Mark X. I found an extensive publication called the History of the Mark X. From it I learned that the gun was never offered in 308 Norma Mag. The barrel is not a mark-over meaning that it was once a 30-06 with a new chamber. The barrel was replaced. Also while looking more closely at the gun, it appears that not only is the action bedded, the barrel seems to be fully bedded also. Since I normally have my barrels free-floated I'm wondering if this is going to be a problem. If any of you has experience with bedded barrels, I'd like to hear about it.

I drive right by Midway enroute to my son's house in K.C. so I'm going to order some ammo and have it ready for pickup this Friday. Range results to follow.

Pheroze, thanks for declining my offer to help you get brass from Midway. I just bought all of it for my own use.

Pheroze and Mekaniks like this.

11. Mekaniks

Mekaniks GOLD SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, RMEF
    Hunted:
    AK, WY, WA, ID, FL, SD, TX, HI, South Africa- Northwest Province
    Awesome!
    Yes if it does not have the old stamps on the barrel it was likely rebarrled to 308 Norma and not just "reamed out". The action was probebly a 30-06 or similar caliber originally. The bolt face had to be opened up and the magazine as well to accept the slightly larger Norma case. If it had started out as a "magnum" action there would not have been much reason to convert it to a Norma, in my humble opinion.
    I dobut the full bedding will hurt anything. Unless it gets exposed to extreme climate changes I dont think there will be much difference. Lots of guns from that period were full bedded and work just fine.
    So I can't wait to hear how it shoots!

12. Shootist43

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Great minds think alike. RayB had the same thought I did, try using the serial number on the scopeto see when it was manufactured. Now I understand that scopes are easily and often moved from one rifle to another but it was worth a shot. I contacted Leupold's Tech Service Dept and asked for their help. It turns out that M-8 Leupold scopes whose serial numbers contain neither a prefix or suffix were made prior to 1974. The 4X version of that scope was not offered in till 1968. Therefore my scope was made during that 6 year window. My next move is to contact CZ since they were one of InterArms suppliers back in the day and see if they can shed any light on the subject.

Mekaniks likes this.

13. mdwest

mdwest AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC Life Member, NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru
    at $425 I think you probably got a great deal. If you decide you hate it, let me know and Ill give you $425 for it :)

I normally stick to regular/vanilla calibers like .308, .300WM, etc..

But I ended up with my 7mm WSM (Win 70) in a similar way you did this .308 Norma Mag... a buddy had one that he had literally never fired.. and offered me an excellent deal on a trade that I couldnt pass up...

Finding ammo is a PIA.. I had to invest in dies and start reloading for it just to be able to shoot it without having to pay a fortune for ammo.. but its far and away the most accurate rifle in my arsenal now, keeping sub 3/4" groups @ 100 all day long..

Here's to hoping you get the same results out of that Interarms Mark X!