Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan, Czech Republic
Hi all,

I have been snooping on here for a few days and it seems there is a real good group of guys on here.

June 2 I fly out for my 1st safari in KZN, it is almost surreal!!! This trip was supposed to happen next year but I found myself booking just 3 months before my hunt date, a decision I dont reccomend on your 1st safari! Lots to learn about international firearms travel and so on in a short time. Thank god for my PH and hunters support.

I am a perfect example of how dreams really can come true as not long ago the company I worked for shut down Canadian operations leaving me jobless in a shaky marketplace. Long story short I was fortunate to get hired on by a great company and am once again in a position to book a hunt like this! This time around I am not procrastinating, theres no time like the present!

Not only am I going but my wife who had no initial interest in accompanying me will not only be coming but she will also be hunting! She is a beginning hunter who up until now has only shot coyotes that are attracted to the cries of our puppies (we breed Australian Cattle dogs) and also took her 1st whitetail buck last fall. I am not sure if I am more exited for her or me!

Anyway Just thought I would say hi.
Derek

Welcome to AH Derek! Nice to have you on the site. Please check out the Ultimate Safari Planning Guide, I think that you will find it to be a good resource for your upcoming hunt... I can almost hear the excitement in your voice!

Welcome Derek,

Life changes in the job market and now the hunting world. Good that the wife is going along.
Good luck on the hunt.

My wife has no desire to come along and I have been to Africa three times.

Keep us posted when you return and i'll try to get on here more to visit and see pictures.

Good hunting.

Derek,

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your time in Africa! It will certainly not be your last time....

Best regards,

Jacques

Welcome

Hi Derek,

Welcome to the forum!:)

Welcome to AH Derek! Nice to have you on the site. Please check out the Ultimate Safari Planning Guide, I think that you will find it to be a good resource for your upcoming hunt... I can almost hear the excitement in your voice!

Thanks Jerome, I certainly did check that info out. Of course by the time I found it everything was already planned. LOL Oh well it was a learning experience. Speaking of which, one peice of info missing from your planning guide is Canadian firearm export regs. Most hunters I speak with beleive no export permit is needed, which is true when travelling within North America, but when travelling overseas not only your rifle but ammo, scopes etc must all be permitted separately. If you would like I can forward the info required to obtain theses permits to you for the benefit of our Canadian members.

Welcome Derek,

Life changes in the job market and now the hunting world. Good that the wife is going along.
Good luck on the hunt.

My wife has no desire to come along and I have been to Africa three times.

Keep us posted when you return and i'll try to get on here more to visit and see pictures.

Good hunting.

My wife also had no desire to go initially, which is primarily how I was able to afford to go a year earlier than originally planned. However when she announced on facebook that I was going and she was not all her freinds said are you crazy which got her thinking and long story short after tweaking my safari and stretching some $$$ we are both going and I am glad she will not miss out.

I will definitely post pics on our return. Hopefully a big Nyala for me and a Gemsbok for her (among others of course)

Derek, I would very much appreciate it if you would email or PM me the information that you have in regards to the Canadian Firearm Export Regulations so that I can ad it as a resource for Canadians, thank you.

Welcome Derek to AH! I hope you and your wife have a great trip to KZN!

Welcome to the forum, Derek, you will certainly love KZN.

Derek, I would very much appreciate it if you would email or PM me the information that you have in regards to the Canadian Firearm Export Regulations so that I can ad it as a resource for Canadians, thank you.

PM sent

Got it, I will let you know once I have the information posted. Thanks a lot for that Derek.

Got it, I will let you know once I have the information posted. Thanks a lot for that Derek.

No problem, if it saves one person some time and effort or worse yet grief at customs it is well worth it.

Derek, You can check what I did by clicking here and looking under Hunters Traveling from Canada. Let me know if I missed anything. Thanks :thumb:!

Thanks BRICKBURN for the links.

excuse my ignorance. Where is KZN
Mike

Jerome that looks great. Thank you for that.

I am also looking into what Brickburn has said. I was led to beleive from everyone from my travel agent to TSA to Hunters support that I had all the necesary permits so hopefuly I didnt miss one. Either way I will let you guys know what I find out tomorrow.

Derek, Enjoy your first safari to the fullest, you only get one first. Good hunting!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmieFletch

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg