New to Double guns

Reckless

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Africa, Australia, UK.
Hi, I am about to embark on my search for my first double rifle. I am going to look at one tomorrow. It is a Sabatti in .470 NE. does anyone have an opinion on this weapon. I have shot with 30.06 and .375 HH but this gun has come up at what seems to be a quite reasonable price. Double guns are not easy to come across down here in Australia.Thanks

there is quite a lot about sabatti doubles on here if you look around. i havent looked at any but from what i have read on here the early ones are to be avoided , but the newer ones people have bought seem to be fine.

Thanks Spike, I have found quite a bit on these forums and found that the Sabatti can have serious accuracy problems and based on these posts I may give this gun a wide berth and pay a bit more and get something I can trust. thanks again

i am not knocking them as i have never seen one but i would agree with you. as i said before work out what the top end is you want to spend and start looking at what is available. dont jump in on a double just because its there, wait till you find something that has that certain factor to you and if its a good fit that is important . if you can run to having one built thats even better as it will be made to fit you perfectly.

i am not knocking them as i have never seen one but i would agree with you. as i said before work out what the top end is you want to spend and start looking at what is available. dont jump in on a double just because its there, wait till you find something that has that certain factor to you and if its a good fit that is important . if you can run to having one built thats even better as it will be made to fit you perfectly.

Thanks Spike. I am going to take yours ( and others) advice and wait. It was just as you said, I wanted one here one comes up close by and before you know it I could have jumped in and got the wrong gun for me. Thanks for your words. Neil

Spike, as I was in the area I did go and look at the Sabatti. It is an awesome looking gun and in super condition. It is only a couple of years old and about a dozen rounds through it. The owner will give me a 14 day cover and says if it doesn't shoot tight groups he will refund my money. I am going to take a chance as I have a chance of a water buffalo hunt later this year and this would be great to use. I will keep you posted. Thanks for your input.

It's worth a chance, if it's the newer model, they are well built for the dollar. As long as it wasn't regulated with a dremel, it should be fine.

Spike, as I was in the area I did go and look at the Sabatti. It is an awesome looking gun and in super condition. It is only a couple of years old and about a dozen rounds through it. The owner will give me a 14 day cover and says if it doesn't shoot tight groups he will refund my money. I am going to take a chance as I have a chance of a water buffalo hunt later this year and this would be great to use. I will keep you posted. Thanks for your input.

I saw one of the early models at a Cabelas near where I live. It's quite easy to tell if it's one of the early models that had the strange method of regulation. With the action open, look straight down the barrels from the muzzle end. If at the crowns they appear to not be perfect circles, in other words there's a raised spot, then it's crap and walk away.

This is what I did, looked up at the salesman and grimaced, he frowned as he knew I knew exactly what to be looking for. I just handed him the gun and we never said a word to each other. Now if there doesn't seem to be anything funny, well then give it a go and see how she shoots.

For the record I know virtually nothing about doubles except what I've read. This is the experience I took with me when I was in the Cabelas and happened to see a Sabatti there. My curiosity had to know, and sure enough it took no gun genius to know this wasn't right.

But as others have said, Sabatti apparently has got it right now. I'm sure this came about after a thorough lashing from Cabelas. Cabelas stood by there customers and returned the money to all of their customers that bought one from them from what I've read.

Hey guys. Update on the Sabatti. I had further thoughts on it and the last thing I wanted was to be out in the open with a charging animal and not have complete faith in my ordinance. So long story short I gave the Sabatti a miss and bought ( this morning) an as new Whitworth .375HH express.
Thanks to everybody for their thoughts and comments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois