AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Private club on friend's land in Augusta County, Virginia
Hunted
USA (Colorado, Alabama, Virginia)
Hello all. I've not been much of a forum user prior to now, but thought I'd look for one relating to hunting in Africa. With a Google search, here I am. :)

Just a few months ago I started wondering about hunting in Africa. While I'm fortunate enough to have a place to hunt white tails and black bear here in Virginia, the cost of Elk, Moose, and other such hunts out west (there's none here) are so expensive I could likely only afford one in my lifetime. (My wife would kill me otherwise.) That said, she's interested in a going to Africa and doing a photo safari. So, I've been looking into a combined package and found some outfitters which appear to offer pretty good deals.

I found one site -- Africanskyhunting, South Africa -- and been in contact with them. I love their website, which is very professionally done and easy to use. And the PH has been very helpful. Also, I just learned an old girlfriend's brother hunted with them several years ago and has nothing but praise for their operations. That said, as I've conducted further research, I'm noting that in most cases, their overall prices tend to run higher than most other outfitters. Some of the other outfitters have good write ups as well. This said, I'm wondering if this is a case of "you get what you pay for" (is this outfit actually that superior to the rest) or if it's a case of they simply charge a lot. This is what brings me to this forum.

Does anyone here have experience with Africanskyhunting? If so, would you mind providing me your impressions?

From what I can see, African hunting, overall, appears to provide a pretty darn good value as compared to what our outfitters are doing in the USA. I've read some real horror stories on the latter, and many people are saying Africa is by far the better deal.

I hunted Elk three times out in Colorado, twice while stationed there (with the military) and once I went back to join my new friend, my hunter safety instructor whom I met while stationed there. NEVER ONCE did I even see an Elk. They were all up too high in the mountains for me to reach on foot and without a guide to find them and help get them back. Now that Colorado has jacked the friggin rates on the out-of-state hunting licenses up so far (Elks are now TRIPLE the last fee I paid -- $750 versus $250), I couldn't afford to hunt without a really good probability of actually having a shot. Any outfitter I've seen in any state out west wants at least $5,000, usually more, which is far more than the African hunts for multiple animals. And from what I can see this is for a kill or not!

The only disadvantage in African hunting is you can't bring the meat home. I would think there would be some way to pay to have at least some of the meat -- choice parts -- inspected and cleared for importation into the USA, but apparently there is not. Does anyone know otherwise?

Oh, by the way, I'm talking plains game here, not dangerous game. I could never afford the trophy fees on the latter. (That is, unless I win the lottery!)

Anyway, thanks for any help you might be able to provide. As I noted, I am currently in my "research" phase. I've not decided solidly on a country, but I'm leaning strongly towards South Africa and packaging this with a safari through Kruger NP and taking a trip down to the Cape. As for guns/calibers, I think I've made my choice, but it all depends on the package I eventually put together.

Thanks!

Welcome Ilcapo.
You have stumbled on to the best website for information on planning your hunt that I have come across in 18 months of searching. Ask a question a people will help you.
The members are from everywhere, and I mean everywhere. PH's outfitters, clients, etc. Years and years of experience to rank rookies.

You will never get the meat home. Disease fears. But, you can eat as much as you can when you are there.

You can read some of the articles on this site and you will get some good information to answer your questions.
Can't give a review on africanskys myself. Others may be able to.
I would suggest you also look at the PHASA webs site. Professional hunters association of south africa. Also, NAPHA if you are interested in Namibia.
Good luck.

Thanks and thank you for the references. I'll take a look at them. I'm one of those hunters who hasn't enough experience to be an expert at finding them if they're tough to find, but if I have a good lead and have a shot, I'll make it and likely put it in the breadbasket. I've never had an animal I've shot leave the spot from where he/she was standing. In fact, all were head/spine shots resulting in instant kills until this year. This time I put one in the ribcage on a white tail doe from 70 yards out using a old 1934 vintage Model 99 Savage in .250 Savage. She dropped to the shot, tried getting up twice, but couldn't and after a few tail flickers stopped moving She took about 20 seconds to bleed out. I am a bit recoil shy, so I like using the lighter kicking stuff. But like so many PHs say, it's more about shot placement than gun size. I don't suffer from "magnumitis." I like to have just enough gun for the job. I've never had an animal get away yet. So if I find a guide that will get me a fair shot, I think I'll have some fun.

Honestly there are so many good hunting offers out there...it seems crazy at times...cull hunts to trophy hunts...all have terrific accomodations and great food. You can always do a photo safari on the side...but I would definitely get some hunting in...go the great deals on hunts and start contacting outfitters...ask ???'s but Africa is very affordable! And you deserve it to yourself to go there and hunt!

Welcome to the site. You have definitely come to the right place to research your hunt.

Good luck.

nd

Welcome to AH ILCAPO! Glad you decided to join.

Welcome to the site ILCAPO.

You will defnitely find all the information you need on this site and if you have any further questions please feel free to contact me at anytime.

Best regards,

Hi ILCAPO.
Welcome to the forum. Everything you need on planning your trip to Africa is right here.

Best Regards
Marius Goosen

Welcome to AH, ILCAPO there are a few outfitters on the site who will gladly inform you about all you need to know.

Thanks all. I'm looking through some websites and will get back to you individually.

Nyati. I see you've hunted Finland? Moose? Reindeer? I understand you have to take a practical shooting test at moving targets (at least that used to be the case), yes?

I just saw you post, questioning daily rate and trophy fees...you should question everything, a smart person does. I know some people that hunt with one outfitter or another....just because a friend did. They find comfort in there choice and there is nothing wrong with that theory. There is a lot of competition in Africa for clients...take the time and do the research. Some outfitters have higher prices because of marketing costs and the fact they have built a reputation up in the hunting community. For me fancy accomodation don't mean much...compared to good hunt, good food and some more money for hunting and taxidermy...etc.

ILCAPO, as enysse said there are alot of outfitters out ther and there are alot of diff. prices. Some more than others. But I think almost all of them will give you agreat expierience. I am going to SA at the end of April. I have done alot of research and found more info on here in the last month than I found in the last year asking arround. I bought my hunt at an SCI dinner auction with my dad. I found that to be the best way to get your hunt and the least expensive. Just do your research 1st! I have not been on my hunt but my PH has been very helpful and has been great so far. After reading posts on here PH's are all great and professional! I have met 4 here in the states so far and they have all been very helpful and awnsered my questions and I am not even hunting with them. As others have said, any questions just ask. We will all help.

Welcome to the Forum ILCAPO!

You will love South Africa, we have a lot of diversity here.

All the best and enjoy every moment of planning your trip it is where the African experience starts!

Best Regards
Louis van Bergen

Understand enysse. Makes sense, but for my first trip, as I've already noted, it has to be a combination safari/sightseeing trip with my wife, so accomodations are very much on the table. The more I look the more I think Africanskyhunting is likely to be the one for trip #1, simply due to their diverse operations experience and organization. They're an all-encompassing hunt/tour operator right there in Pretoria.

That said, I'm also getting the feeling that once I actually hunt there in Africa I'm going to be hooked. That said, I'm sure to use a different operator on any subsequent trip. My wife won't likely be as interested in a second trip -- you see one elephant/rhino/giraffe you've seen them all -- and I'll be free to skip the cushy rooms and go for more 'horns'. ; )

Anyway, no decision has to be made yet. Just worked out a budget for a likely trip. We're talking more than $10K easy. Probably more like $12K. OUCH! THAT's gonna leave a mark!

Great info. Thanks. BTW, what is an SCI dinner auction? You're the second person to tell me about "buying' a hunt through this. I'm totally new to this.

An auction in a dinner organized by the Safari Club International (SCI)

ILCAPO, here is a link to an SCI banquet that is being held tomorrow night.
On the fund raising link you can see the number of hunts, fishing trips, etc that are available and up for auction.
This is only one chapter, there are lots more. Internet search may provide one close to home.

Fundraising | SCI Northern AB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg