New Straight Pull Available In The States

• Thread starter Deleted member 53080
  • Start date
It is designed by same designer who designed Blaser.
Not really new in the production, but possibly new for USA market.
Feedback from friends who has this rifle is very positive.

I haven’t held one, but it is my understanding the scope rail is fixed to the receiver. That would mean sighting in again with a barrel change. The Blaser mounts the scope on the barrel, As long as each barrel has a dedicated scope, there is no need to sight in after a caliber swap.

I haven’t held one, but it is my understanding the scope rail is fixed to the receiver. That would mean sighting in again with a barrel change. The Blaser mounts the scope on the barrel, As long as each barrel has a dedicated scope, there is no need to sight in after a caliber swap.

So I looked around some more and the Strasser seems like a hybrid between the Mauser M03 or Sauer 404 and the R8 in that it is a modular design with the scope being mounted to the receiver while being a straight pull like the latter. It seems that Blaser stands alone (to my knowledge) with it’s barrel mounted scope feature. That being said I guess one would have a dedicated scope for each barrel in QD mounts making a barrel change a minute or two longer process than the R8. I may have read this somewhere but does mounting a scope to the barrel possibly improve accuracy?

The MSRP of $4300 is a tough one for me. Blaser R8s similarly outfitted go for that kind of money. (plastic stock model)

It’s tough for me also. I think a straight pull would be cool to have but if I had $4300 to spare I would probably find an older custom rifle with a Mauser type action of some sort.

So I looked around some more and the Strasser seems like a hybrid between the Mauser M03 or Sauer 404 and the R8 in that it is a modular design with the scope being mounted to the receiver while being a straight pull like the latter. It seems that Blaser stands alone (to my knowledge) with it’s barrel mounted scope feature. That being said I guess one would have a dedicated scope for each barrel in QD mounts making a barrel change a minute or two longer process than the R8. I may have read this somewhere but does mounting a scope to the barrel possibly improve accuracy?
Yes, usually it does. My experience with take downs (though obviously not this one) is that the barrel never reassembles exactly the same. So, even with a dedicated second scope, some fine tuning is needed with every reassembly of a receiver mounted scope. Interrupted thread designs are notorious for this. Part of the issue is one has two sets of variables rather than a single one on the Blaser. All that said, these guys may have a system that solves that problem, and it would likely be minute of buffalo in any case in .375.

A Blaser will shoot a MOA group if you dismount the barrel between shots.

Secondly, the rifle‘s action looks to be as long, if not longer, than a conventional bolt action. One of the advantages of the R8 is its compact action design (magazine over the trigger) that allows a longer barrel in a conventional length rifle or simply a more compact one. The Strasser seems to be of no better than conventional length.

Still, an interesting concept, particularly for someone wanting a more traditional modular design with a straight pull.

It might be great, it might not be. But at more or less the same price as an R8, it is hard for me to justify buying from a company that is new to this market. Blaser has been available in the States for a couple decades at least. If it doesn't sell well (and I really don't see why it would), there is no real reason for them to continue support in the US. That said, I've only had to send a gun back for service once, so maybe not a big deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross