New Standard Blaser R8 Stock With St - Standard Caliber Bolt - Which 3 Or 4 Barrels For All Occasions?

I agree with those who say the .22-250 is too destructive of small edible game. But wonder at the suggestions that the .257 Weatherby is a reasonable alternative. Just use the 6.5 CM for that job.

OK, my $.02 worth! :ROFLMAO: What I got and why:
1) 223 because it is cheap to shoot and learn the rifle, + I hunt coyotes and prairie dogs. This was mentioned in another thread by One day... and I think it is an excellent way to learn the Blaser.
2) 6.5 CM because, I never owned one, and I hunt deer and antelope. I believe it is quite appropriate for those adding an occasional coyote.
3) I was torn between the 30-06 and 300 Win Mag. Went with the old 06 just because I have a passion for it. I have taken many many animals including rabbits, grouse, bobcats, coyotes, antelope, deer, black bear, hogs and elk. I handload, so I have appropriate loads for about anything.
4) 375 H&H because that’s what I take for everything in Africa...it works for me. I have never felt under nor over gunned.
That said, everyone has certain rounds they have faith in and that is what counts more than anything (excluding shot placement).

Best of luck deciding what works best for you!

The advice from @Ridgewalker is sound. Even though I've sold my .300 WM's over the years and stuck with the '06 as our family's one-stop North American big game round, I'd lean towards the .300 WM as opposed to the .30-06 if you're already invested in the 6.5. The old standby and the "new kid" seem too similar in terminal results for game out to, but not past, 400 yards, IMO. That said, there's just something about a 180 grain cup and core on game around 200 yards at .30-06 velocities that's consistently satisfying, though.

I agree. I was trying to keep down the cost but would prefer the extra bullet weight of the 375 H&H.

I would definitely have to download for the 22-250 which I have researched. I would prefer the 223.

I would like to use the SR- Swaro Rail but there are no less expensive Z3 SR or Vortex rail scopes.
they make FMJs in .223 for the 22-250. Used to preserve pelts by varmint hunters. we got plenty of the dwarf antelopes with 375 solids (at considerably less V.)

I'd prefer to just bring 4 guns. I have the 4-gun SKB case and my son typically wheels it through airports. If he's not along, I just bring 2 rifles (1 on each side, completely separate and protected.) I love fine guns, not gun. :) Does Blaser offer the following: 264 WSM, 757 AI, 338 A-Sq and .416 Taylor? :p

I'd prefer to just bring 4 guns. I have the 4-gun SKB case and my son typically wheels it through airports. If he's not along, I just bring 2 rifles (1 on each side, completely separate and protected.) I love fine guns, not gun. :) Does Blaser offer the following: 264 WSM, 757 AI, 338 A-Sq and .416 Taylor? :p
You can have anything in 6 months.

You can have anything in 6 months.
Not necessary. I'm not buying in. Just another lil overpriced piece of black plastic with less metal and that funny bolt handle, to me. I collect guns, not "gun." Shooting just 1 gun would put me to sleep, although I of course have a few favorites!

I would not put restrictions on yourself by choosing to stay with one bolt head size.
The bolt heads are compact and can virtually fit anywhere in your gun case.
I store my magazine insert and bolt head vertically in my travel case.
1613543223178.jpeg

Also I have blown big holes in the tiny ten with bigger calibers I think the .22-250 has too much velocity.
My choice for the tiny ten would be 1. .223 rem with a heavy Barnes X bullets at moderate velocities is the best choice as @Philip Glass mentioned or the .375 with solids.
2. .270, 7x64 or 30-06 as a general plains game caliber - take your pick
3. .375 for everything else
Ammo can be sourced or most of these calibers if your ammo is lost (in Namibia or South Africa at least - harder to find elsewhere)

I have a 416, 300 Win and 30-06 Blaser Barrels. I will eventually add a 9.3x62 and 7x64. Maybe I'll add a 6.5 CM for my kids. But I already have a 6.5 CM in a 700 clone for the kids, so maybe not.

Unless you are taking a 223 to Africa with Barnes X bullets or Partitions your 22-250 will blow the hell out of any smaller species.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg