Brent in Az

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
USA - Az, NM, CO, MT, MN.
I think this is the rifle Brickburn posted a pic of

SCI & Rigby Set New Rifle Auction Record!
by Randy Gibbs
Feb 09, 2016

The upper limits of fine firearms value has been redefined with the John Rigby & Co. and SCI’s collaborative effort for the second in the World Heritage Rifle series. Built by Rigby as a tribute to Jim Corbett’s legendary rifle, the Asian rifle sold at auction on the final night of the 2016 SCI Convention for $250,000, making it the highest price paid for a bolt-action rifle at any SCI Auction.
John Rigby & Co. Managing Director Marc Newton describes the rifle as “the best Rigby .275 bolt rifle ever made” and has chronicled the painstaking detail and craftsmanship that went into the building of the rifle each step of the way.

Inspired by world-renowned hunter, writer and conservationist Jim Corbett, the rifle is an homage to the original Rigby bolt rifle awarded to Corbett for dispatching the man eater of Champawat. Corbett went on to use that rifle to dispatch many more man-eaters in the following years. That rifle has come full circle and is now in Rigby’s permanent collection, and made its U.S. debut at the 2016 SCI Convention in Las Vegas.

The rifle was on display (under armed guard) on the show floor prior to the auction at the Saturday night finale. Anticipation in the ballroom was high as the World Heritage Asia rifle and its inspiration took the stage. Early bidding was strong, with bids increasing in $5,000 and $10,000 increments, quickly surpassing the $100,000 mark and surging to $200,000. The crowd seemed to sense that something exceptional was about to happen and the excitement reached a fever pitch as the auctioneer kept the serious bidders in the game. When the last bidder blinked, one very happy winner came away with the rifle, a custom credenza to display it in courtesy of master cabinet makers Julian & Sons and an original oil painting depicting the “Last moments of the Champawat man-eater” by artist David Southgate.

Proceeds from the sale of the rifle will help fund the SCI mission programs, and in addition, Rigby purchased the oil painting and the artist is donating the purchase price of the painting to Jim Corbett National Park in India.

“This incredible generosity from Rigby and SCI members shows that SCI is the leading organization when it comes to raising the funds needed to protect hunting and being first for hunters”, said SCI President Larry Higgins. “SCI members put their money where their mouth is” when it comes to raising money for to “protect hunting and the rights of all hunters” he added.

SCI has a storied history of creating special rifle series and raising the bar for the prices they command. In 1982 The Big Five Rifle Series was the first of the specialty series, featuring a rifle commemorating one of the African Big Five (elephant, rhino, lion, Cape buffalo and leopard) each year for five years. When the hammer fell on the first rifle of that series, the bolt-action Elephant in .458 Winchester Magnum built by David Miller Co. of Tucson had set a new record at $41,000. Each rifle in that series set a new record each year, ending with the sale of the fifth rifle in the series honoring the leopard. The final price on that rifle, also created by David Miller Co., was an astounding $201,000.

The current specialty series of rifles seems to be on a similar track. The first rifle recognized Africa and was built by John Bolliger’s Mountain Riflery. It sold in 2015 for $140,000. The Rigby Corbett rifle recognizes hunting in Asia. The 2017 entry will recognize hunting in Europe and will be built by New England Custom Gun, 2018 will recognize Oceania built by Ryan Breeding and finally 2019 will recognize hunting in the Americas and will once again be built by John Bolliger.

Attachments

• copyright-john-rigby-co-15.jpg
    copyright-john-rigby-co-15.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 130
Last edited by a moderator:
It would be an honor to own such a fine rifle. Alas it's way out of range for me!

I thought the same thing Scott

having seen it very close up its definitely one of, if not the best rifle i have ever seen. the detail on the engraving was amazing with the front bridge of the receiver showing a map of the champawat region, with the places and number of each kill made by the man eater maked on it, along with the butt plate with deep relief engraving more like sculpturing was stunning . the minute detail on the cats face ....havent a clue how these master engravers manage it.......i was happy on one thing though my old rigby .275 looked much the same as the original corbett .275 ,no scope just irons etc . great little rifles if you get a chance to buy one and not silly money.

Mike did get to see the rifle up close and personal.

You should have seen the face of the guy on the right of my picture when Mike dared to touch the stock with his finger.

967d80d183844cbed944ac1ad1c7943d.jpg

I wished I had the big camera at that moment. I could have caught it and made him famous.
Regrets for not bringing the big gun along to SCI.

yeah he did kinda spit out his dummy/pacifier.........as i didnt have gloves on and moved the stock with tip of 2 fingers so the light showed the butt plate engraving better........:E Frightened:
He probably would have had a meltdown if you touched the barrel.

Jim Corbett, mentioned in his books, that the .275 was too light for Tiger. It seemed to be his "go to" rifle.

Hopefully, the owner of the newest version takes it for a whirl on a hunt.
It would be an absolute shame if it were not

Hopefully, the owner of the newest version takes it for a whirl on a hunt.
It would be an absolute shame if it were not
Couldn't agree more.

If I had that much spare coin to blow on a rifle, it would see a lot of hunting action

yeah he did kinda spit out his dummy/pacifier.........as i didnt have gloves on and moved the stock with tip of 2 fingers so the light showed the butt plate engraving better........:E Frightened:

Are you sure you didn´t touch the girl Mike ? Just to check her curves :A Whistle:

Are you sure you didn´t touch the girl Mike ? Just to check her curves :A Whistle:

I'll back him up quick so PR does not beat him senseless. No. Just the gun.
The gun guardian was much more concerned about the rifle than anything else.

Hopefully the money is well spent on conservation

That rifle was a great donation by Rigby.............one of the finest names in firearms, but with a somewhat checkered recent past. I think the price reflects well on them, and will restore a lot of prestige in the company.
It has been a good year for conservation auctions: At Salk Lake City, Friday night, the evening auction brought a world record price of $410,000 for the Antelope Island mule deer tag. Could it be the same buyer? Maybe hunt a 410K deer with a 250K bolt rifle? Probably not the same guy, but as noted above, I hope something worthwhile gets done with the money. The general auction prices in SLC reflected the stronger economy, and the fact that North American hunting is some of the most expensive that there is anywhere. In fact, North American hunting is becoming so darned expensive that it should make everyone consider at least one African hunt......And I suggested that very thing to many guys who felt left out when bidding hit $20,000 or more for a deer or elk tag. Consider Africa, it is one of the best values in hunting anywhere.............FW Bill

It would be an honor to own such a fine rifle. Alas it's way out of range for me!
charley,my job at wal-mart and the archs is opening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg