New run of .405 Winchester ammo is out there...

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
Hornady has a new run of this ammo out there now with the 300 gr spitzer bullet. Prices vary somewhat but see it as low as about $47 a box on Gunbroker.

So .405 guys better get the card out!

This has been a public service announcement!

So if this works like usual I should buy 405 ammo and then start looking for a rifle!
I bought some 351 WSL ammo the other day thinking that one of these days I will end up with a 1907 Winchester Self Loader! A definite sickness us gun nuts have!

Absolutely!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I did the same thing recently, found a rifle to bid on, rare caliber. Then went looking for ammo!;) Tough find, but I did find a few boxes for a decent price. If I don't get the rifle, at least I have ammo!o_O:rolleyes::eek::D

So if this works like usual I should buy 405 ammo and then start looking for a rifle!
I bought some 351 WSL ammo the other day thinking that one of these days I will end up with a 1907 Winchester Self Loader! A definite sickness us gun nuts have!
Yup, I've done that as well. 10mm auto, 6.5x55, 7x57, 9.3x62, 22 hornet, 357 sig, 45/70..... been wanting a 405 win and a 30-40 Kraig so may need to buy some of this ammo;)

I owned 470NE and 505 Gibbs ammo long before I had either. I started to think I had some kind of clairvoyant gift and could see into the future but turned out that ain’t the case.

This thread has taken an odd twist.
I have seen this announcement of Hornady making this .405 ammo run on other forums and one shooter with two(2) new 1895 .405 rifles bought a couple hundred rounds. There are also some decent prices out on the Internet.
Fortunately, I have a good supply of ammo and loading components. Though I do have three .405 rifles.

Cabela's in Tualatin (PDX) Oregon has a really nice 1907 Winchester on the rack right now.....

Where did you find ammo?

Cabela's in Tualatin (PDX) Oregon has a really nice 1907 Winchester on the rack right now.....

Where did you find ammo?
At a small gunstore in New Mexico, i bought the few boxes they had!

I once had a Winchester 95 in 405 Win. Very nice shooting caliber. Wish they would make a good 400 gr load though.
Don't know about "they", but its easy enough to roll your own. I once did so for a Ruger No. 1 in .405, it kicked butt!:eek::eek::D

Where did you find ammo?
Saw at least 5 sellers on Gunbroker selling it. Midway has it too..

Toby458,
My hand loaded 400 grain Woodleigh took the Cape buff in the pic to the left.
If you are serious, I can share my 400 grain loads or you can find some on the Internet.

My .405 Simson Suhl DR is regulated for Hornady factory 300 grain ammo at 2225 fps, but my 400 grain hand loads also regulate in the DR and they are pleasant to shoot-even from the bench.

Attachments

• 51984_600x400.jpg
    51984_600x400.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 97
Saw at least 5 sellers on Gunbroker selling it. Midway has it too..
Thanks for the info. I keep trying to swipe my dad's old 351 out his safe, but he keeps catching me... Maybe I'll buy him some ammo and take him shooting.... Then "forget" to take his rifle back in the house....

This thread has taken an odd twist.
I have seen this announcement of Hornady making this .405 ammo run on other forums and one shooter with two(2) new 1895 .405 rifles bought a couple hundred rounds. There are also some decent prices out on the Internet.
Fortunately, I have a good supply of ammo and loading components. Though I do have three .405 rifles.
Just bought a 405 Wincshester and 100 rounds of ammo. Got the gun at a good price but the ammo was pretty high in value.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you