AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
New rules to trap $30m from Tanzania’s hunting industry
by Adam Ihucha

Tanzania has formulated new rules to help tap at least $30 million more from its struggling hunting industry, a sector policymakers see as a key economic growth driver from next year.

Expects say the sector will bring home $53 million, up from an annual $20 million, bringing it closer to being one of Tanzania’s largest foreign exchange earners.

Natural Resources and Tourism Minister Ezekiel Maige said the rules should help the industry make a bigger contribution to the economy, due to its huge potential.

Under the tourist hunting rules, the wildlife rich country will see the licence fee for its prime hunting blocks rising from $27,000 to $60,000 a year.

The revised guidelines also categorised the hunting blocks into five, depending on type and number of animals to be hunted.

Mr Maige says category I has 24 blocks hunting permit fee $60,000 each, while group II has 98 blocks and a hunting fee of $30,000 apiece.

Category III, with 18 blocks, has a hunting licence fee of $18,000 each; while class IV and V with eight hunting blocks each will have a permit fee of $10,000 and $5,000, respectively.

The categorisation was done according to the animals to be hunted, block size and availability of wildlife resources to ensure sustainable tourist hunting and diversity of animal species.

Other factors include hunting bloc accessibility, in terms of terrain and infrastructure from the country’s commercial city of Dar es salaam or the safari capital of Arusha, reliable water supply and scope of human activities within the block.

Mr Maige said that in establishing a hunting block, the boundaries of the proposed blocks are demarcated by Global Positioning System (GPS), according to their potential for wildlife recovery in a given time frame and investment.

Though the minister was silent on the trophy fee, word has it that under the new structure, the trophy fee for hunting a lion is most likely to have risen to $12,000, up from just $2,500.

Hunters may also be required to pay $15,000 to kill an elephant, from the previous fee of $5,000. Hunters are still silent on the fee increase.

Of the African hunting countries, Tanzania undoubtedly stimulates the imagination.

It has long been considered a prime hunting destination in Africa.

Fulfilling the dream of a traditional big game hunting safari continues to be a big draw to Tanzania’s unspoiled wilderness.

Source: The EastAfrican

I will go out on a limb and say this is outragous!!! It hasn't even been 5 years since the last terrible raises in Prices. You can pretty much mark Tanzania as a super rich client area or photographic tourist destination!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imogen6571

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois