New Ruger No. 1 .25-'06

I agree that the 100 gr pills will absolutely do the job on Coues. My 257 AI shoots 100 gr 3,450 fps and 115 gr 3,250 fps (it's picky) and the 100 gr deer go straight down as their dinner is interrupted, while the 115s kill em no problem after running 30 yds. I'm certain it's a combo of the lower SD bullet setting up quicker (doing more damage) and the high velocity imparting more E and damage. I like Nos PTs for terminal performance under 400-450 yds. TTSXs are more than fine, too, and will perform beyond 450. Also less wind drift w/ the 100s because the V is so much higher in my particular gun/load. The TTSX will also penetrate better downrange. With coues, whatever's most accurate in your gun is the way to go...My experience with accubonds is they tend to favor high velocity for proper expansion. And, I'm talking 200+ lb deer. The 100s do the job in .25. Used to use 115-117s in a Wby for the same effect (plus bbl wear!)
@C.W . Richter
They are impressive velocities out of your 257AI.
What powder are you using.
I was using H4831SC in my 25 and switched to Hodgdon Superformance didn't that give it a lifting performance with all bullet weights.
Bob

I agree that the 100 gr pills will absolutely do the job on Coues. My 257 AI shoots 100 gr 3,450 fps and 115 gr 3,250 fps (it's picky) and the 100 gr deer go straight down as their dinner is interrupted, while the 115s kill em no problem after running 30 yds. I'm certain it's a combo of the lower SD bullet setting up quicker (doing more damage) and the high velocity imparting more E and damage. I like Nos PTs for terminal performance under 400-450 yds. TTSXs are more than fine, too, and will perform beyond 450. Also less wind drift w/ the 100s because the V is so much higher in my particular gun/load. The TTSX will also penetrate better downrange. With coues, whatever's most accurate in your gun is the way to go...My experience with accubonds is they tend to favor high velocity for proper expansion. And, I'm talking 200+ lb deer. The 100s do the job in .25. Used to use 115-117s in a Wby for the same effect (plus bbl wear!)
Mr. Richter - I also have a .257 Roberts, just not 'improved' - a Dakota 76. I feel the standard .257R is a 300 year rifle. I think the .25-'06 is a 400+ yard rifle. The shots here are often long, so in midcourse of building this Ruger, I switched from .257R to .25-'06 for the build. The barrel is 1:9.5 and I believe Brux builds a good barrel. I need to develop proper loads for this little rifle and I like the accuracy of the ABs. But I am open to any bullet that will deliver accuracy and clean kills.

Thanks for your comment.

Last edited:
Mr. Richter - I also have a .257 Roberts, just not 'improved' - a Dakota 76. I feel the standard .257R is a 300 year rifle. I think the .25-'06 is a 400+ yard rifle. The shots here are often long, so in midcourse of building this Ruger, I switched from .257R to .25-'06 for the build. The barrel is 1:9.5 and I believe Brux builds a good barrel. I need to develop proper loads for this little rifle and I like the accuracy of the ABs. But I am open to any bullet that will deliver accuracy and clean kills.

Thanks for your comment.
You did the right thing, cartridge-wise! Ream out your Dakota to AI (with such a nice gun, by competent gunsmith, of course) and you will NOT be disappointed! The Ackley that shows the most improvment (257R). I'm seeing the Barnes 100s top out at 3300 and the Nos PT at 3350 in a 2506, so that's not shabby at all! The 257 AI is done at 650 with only 100-150 fps more, so I'm thinking with hot handloads the 06 is good to 500 (energy wise, for terminal performance.) I don't think the accubonds would exhibit great terminal performance out at 400-500 yds in that cartridge, so I recommend the Nos PTs or Barnes TTSXs (made for Hunting, not to sell the latest, greatest thing.) I had some white tip failures in Africa back in 07 and that was the end of that for moi.

Beautiful rifle! But watch out for the brutal shoulder bruising recoil!! Another member some time back got the heck beat out of him from his No.1 .25-06, LOL!
Got all kinda recoil pain!!

You did the right thing, cartridge-wise! Ream out your Dakota to AI (with such a nice gun, by competent gunsmith, of course) and you will NOT be disappointed! The Ackley that shows the most improvment (257R). I'm seeing the Barnes 100s top out at 3300 and the Nos PT at 3350 in a 2506, so that's not shabby at all! The 257 AI is done at 650 with only 100-150 fps more, so I'm thinking with hot handloads the 06 is good to 500 (energy wise, for terminal performance.) I don't think the accubonds would exhibit great terminal performance out at 400-500 yds in that cartridge, so I recommend the Nos PTs or Barnes TTSXs (made for Hunting, not to sell the latest, greatest thing.) I had some white tip failures in Africa back in 07 and that was the end of that for moi.
@C W. Richtter
If you want even faster you can go to my 25 with 100 grainers.
This is with 100gn nosler balistic tips
20220618_080836.jpg

115s and 117grain get 3,360fps.
A fast 25 is a wonderful cartridge.
Bob

Been there, barrels done! 257 wby x 2. What rimmed cartridge is that? lever gun or s/s?

me too. lol i 1/2-jokingly refer to the nice ones as TX or Africa guns! (SW more like it but maybe just W with the weather they've been experiencing for years now!) They make appearances at home on sunny winter days! 257 AI & 757 AI love 'em! l. pic i recall vividly-late season meat hunt/doe culling...shot 2 in the span of 15 sec (in diff fields as I was in a hedgerow between.) great fun and meat for all! The weather typically straightens out up here by the time most hunters return home and it typically does not start snowing until dark when you're gutting an animal...i may just start bubble-wrapping stands and saplings along trails!

View attachment 481031View attachment 481033View attachment 481034
HAHA! I see you pick your deer up off the farm the same way we do! Your first whitetail we make ya drag. After that it's easier to fire up the Farmall. GREAT PICS AND BEAUTIFUL RIFLE!

Another photo with a bit more detail. I have not had this rifle engraved yet... I wanted to have it to use this upcoming deer season. I will probably ask Sam Welch to embellish it a bit and add a touch of gold- for the SAFE indicator, perhaps more. Then I will have the lever case colored and the trigger checkered and nitre blued.

Ruger No. 1.jpg

Last edited:
me too. lol i 1/2-jokingly refer to the nice ones as TX or Africa guns! (SW more like it but maybe just W with the weather they've been experiencing for years now!) They make appearances at home on sunny winter days! 257 AI & 757 AI love 'em! l. pic i recall vividly-late season meat hunt/doe culling...shot 2 in the span of 15 sec (in diff fields as I was in a hedgerow between.) great fun and meat for all! The weather typically straightens out up here by the time most hunters return home and it typically does not start snowing until dark when you're gutting an animal...i may just start bubble-wrapping stands and saplings along trails!

View attachment 481031View attachment 481033View attachment 481034
Now thats the way to drag a deer!!!!

Beautiful rifle! But watch out for the brutal shoulder bruising recoil!! Another member some time back got the heck beat out of him from his No.1 .25-06, LOL!
Got all kinda recoil pain!!
And this rifle has a checkered, steel Neidner butt plate. It is sweet to shoot and recoil on such a small cartridge is negligible.

And this rifle has a checkered, steel Neidner butt plate. It is sweet to shoot and recoil on such a small cartridge is negligible.
Another craftsman who can do wonderful things with a classically styled single shot is Bailey Bradshaw. He does his own engraving and the action is a unique "rising block" of his own design. I have one in 7x65R that is my favorite whitetail rifle. Simply exquisite.

Another craftsman who can do wonderful things with a classically styled single shot is Bailey Bradshaw. He does his own engraving and the action is a unique "rising block" of his own design. I have one in 7x65R that is my favorite whitetail rifle. Simply exquisite.
RED LEG

Perhaps you could post a photo? I'd love to see it and I am sure others would, too.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 9.13.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 9.13.40 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 53
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 9.13.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 9.13.47 AM.png
    388.4 KB · Views: 60
That is a beautiful rifle and the timber is terrific. I like the open grip and lack of a cheek piece. Really nice work by your 'smith. Hell of a nice whitetail, too. If that was a Coues it might be a record!

Did load development for rhe 25-'06. A 115 grain Nosler BT and 49.5 grains of IMR4350 yields a five shot group of .56" - adequate, at least. No chrono work yet but I am pretty confident it will do what's needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sports0266

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg