Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, Handgun Hunters International, Quail Forever, SCI, DSC, DU
Hunted
USA (MS, LA, WV, CO, TX, AL, AR, & NM), South Africa, New Brunswick, Canada
Picked up this rifle from the special run Lipseys commissioned. Mounted a Weaver 2.5-7 x 28 on it. I have some properly head stamped cases on the way. This is my "Little Rigby".

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up this rifle from the special run Lipseys commissioned. Mounted a Weaver 2.5-7 x 28 on it. I have some properly head stamped cases on the way. This is my "Little Rigby".
Bought one yesterday also, haven't scope it yet. This is definitely a poor man's Highland Stalker! Beautiful rifle for price. Has many attributes of the original Rigby .275. Took it to the range yesterday with the iron sights. High and right at 50 yards. Didn't want to use alot of the Hornady .275 ammo we brought out for the irons. Should have a scope here in 3 days. Then will zero it in at one hundred. Very stiff action but should loosen right up after 60-80 rounds. And I know someone will ask....no it will not take the 170 gr ammo without having a smith work on the chamber. I will remain happy with the 140 grain.

Last edited:
Bought one yesterday also, haven't scope it yet. This is definitely a poor man's Highland Stalker! Beautiful rifle for price. Has many attributes of the original Rigby .275.
Be ordering one as soon as I get home! Love it!

Be ordering one as soon as I get home! Love it!
The only reason I beat you to it was that you got caught out of the country!!!! I wasn't aware the rifle existed until Tuesday, and got to see one in person on Thursday and bought it.

This is a beautiful rifle. My friend has one and he loves it!

Very nice.

my only negative comment would be that the bolt handle is the one thing that detracts from what may be supposed to (superficially at least) look like a rigby.If they had chamged the bolt to have a more oberndorf look to it the rifle would be a superb addition to any stalking mans battery.

Wow, first I have seen of this! I have the No. 1 so chambered and like it a lot, but this, hmmmm.....

Attachments

• Screenshot (47).png
    Screenshot (47).png
    1.4 MB · Views: 374
  • Screenshot (48).png
    Screenshot (48).png
    1.5 MB · Views: 390
  • Screenshot (49).png
    Screenshot (49).png
    1 MB · Views: 383
  • Screenshot (50).png
    Screenshot (50).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 344
  • Screenshot (51).png
    Screenshot (51).png
    960.7 KB · Views: 345
  • Screenshot (52).png
    Screenshot (52).png
    132.2 KB · Views: 367
Bought one yesterday also, haven't scope it yet. This is definitely a poor man's Highland Stalker! Beautiful rifle for price. Has many attributes of the original Rigby .275. Took it to the range yesterday with the iron sights. High and right at 50 yards. Didn't want to use alot of the Hornady .275 ammo we brought out for the irons. Should have a scope here in 3 days. Then will zero it in at one hundred. Very stiff action but should loosen right up after 60-80 rounds. And I know someone will ask....no it will not take the 170 gr ammo without having a smith work on the chamber. I will remain happy with the 140 grain.
I don't understand exactly about the heavy bullet thing. Are you saying it wont chamber a 175 gr load of any shape? Just round nose? I have the No. 1 in .275 and it takes 175's. Seems odd Ruger would chamber this just for light bullets. Being a brand new rifle, were it mine I would send it to Ruger and tell them is should chamber any standard bullet weight for the round. I think they would take care of that. Its nice to have the heavy bullet option.

I don't understand exactly about the heavy bullet thing. Are you saying it wont chamber a 175 gr load of any shape? Just round nose? I have the No. 1 in .275 and it takes 175's. Seems odd Ruger would chamber this just for light bullets. Being a brand new rifle, were it mine I would send it to Ruger and tell them is should chamber any standard bullet weight for the round. I think they would take care of that. Its nice to have the heavy bullet option.
Hi Ses, hope you had a great hunt!
Contact Red Leg for an explanation on the bullet thing. He just recently bought a Rigby Highland Stalker, and had the Rigby factory make the chamber increase for the 170 grain bullet. It could be a very specific bullet, I just don't know. He can explain it in proper terms, I cannot. You may could send one of the new .275s back to the Ruger factory for the chamber change, I don't know. In the meantime as all of these new rifles hit the range, I am sure we will hear all stories about ammo for them.

how much are they over there just out of interest ? and to depress us over the other side of the water..........
Hi Spike....MSRP is around $1250 or so. I paid just over $950 for mine.

The poor man's Rigby..............call it a Rugerby

For a few years now, Ruger had on the market the 275 Rigby in the International model. I loved the look, but the 18.5 inch barrel was a bit too short for my liking.

upload_2017-8-13_5-40-12.png

. I'll try to put my hands on some Hornady 162 grain bullets and determine if these will chamber when loaded to published O. C. L.
my only negative comment would be that the bolt handle is the one thing that detracts from what may be supposed to (superficially at least) look like a rigby.If they had chamged the bolt to have a more oberndorf look to it the rifle would be a superb addition to any stalking mans battery.
. True, but this is not a Rigby made rifle, it is a Ruger. Besides, nothing I've shot with my other Ruger rifles has complained about the bolt handle.

The poor man's Rigby..............call it a Rugerby

For a few years now, Ruger had on the market the 275 Rigby in the International model. I loved the look, but the 18.5 inch barrel was a bit too short for my liking.

View attachment 199273

Nice rifles, but the Mannlicher look has never been my thing. I was truly excited when this rifle came out.

Should just be a slight increase to the throat, I know, I've already thought of every conceivable thing that can be said in reply to my statement!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois