New Ruger African in .275 Rigby

Believe he had his tongue planted firmly in cheek...:rolleyes:

Thing took a lot of killing!

As we all know hunting rifles should group at under an inch. This one just didn't do it.
Royal o_O:rolleyes::cool:

For the rest of you,
Royal and I are at Gizmo's place. Couldn't decide which gun to use on the scimitar but settled on trying the little 275 Rigby to see what all the hype is about with guys loving this caliber in Africa.... And beings it's an African critter...

First shot was with the animal quartering too. About 220 yards, which I felt was plenty far for that gun and a realatively big critter. But we had just crossed the property which included climbing down and back up the canyon splitting the place, had the wind perfect, and we were in the bushes hidden well and i had a nice rest on a branch, so decided to shoot from there.

The first shot took him on the point of the shoulder, passed above the heart, took out the aorta, lungs and passed over to the offside and was lodged against the hide. Royal has a picture of the bullet. Used those 175 grain soft point round nose loads. Worked exactly like guys like @Velo Dog claims... deep penetration, good expantion, high wieght retention.

That animal was dead on the first shot but beings he's of African decent, he reared up and tried to shake it off. So, having has plenty of expierience with various PH's saying to shoot again, I did. And then again, and I was on him for a forth when he went down.

So I'm happy i got the new Ruger Rigby blooded;)

And looking forward to taking the meat home... I drove down with a chest freezer and genetator on the back of my pickup:)

Royal has a picture of the bullet.

Here y'all go. Two views, but same bullet.

20170901_172410.jpg

20170901_172404.jpg

Was this a handload? If so, what is the load?

I've found the most accurate factory load for my CZ 550 American in 7X57 to be the Hornady 139 SST but that was after a hundred or so loads down the barrel. It went from shotgun pattern to sub MOA. I'm currently shooting hand loaded 156 gr Norma Oryx behind H 4350 and the results are fantastic! I'm wanting one of the new Rugers as well, looks like a kick ass rig. Don't need it, but sure do want it.

Thanks for the report and pics. Be interesting to chrono those loads in that rifle to see what the velocity actually is. I'm guessing somewhere around 2300 in the short barrel. Whatever, that combo has worked for well over 100 years.:cool:

Thanks for the report and pics. Be interesting to chrono those loads in that rifle to see what the velocity actually is. I'm guessing somewhere around 2300 in the short barrel. Whatever, that combo has worked for well over 100 years.:cool:
I'd bet you're about right;)

I'm not familiar with this rifle's twist but it may be a factor if shooting and stabilizing longer heavier bullets for caliber. Extending the throat may create more problems than benefits.

Great stuff!! Congrats!

On Friday, 1 September, I was able to get back to the range with the Ruger .275 Rigby and Nosler 140 gr. Trophy Grade ammo, which I am partial to, but usually have to pay more for it. First though, I will talk about screws. My son and I spent considerable time on the internet trying to find a factory listing for the recommended inch pounds which the screws should be tightened to. But no luck. We found other shooters recommendations. Many suggested 95 inch pounds! That may be ok for fiber glass stocks, but certainly not walnut! We finally settled on 40 inch pounds for the fore and aft screws and 15 for the center. More than 15 on the center, the floor plate latch would not work correctly. That is why the 15 on the center screw.
The Nosler Trophy Grade ammo. 7x57 Mauser, Accubond bullets, 2700 fps.
We immediately started shooting good consistent groups. Made a couple minor scope adjustments, and we were set. The first pic below is at 100 yards, not 1 inch, but close enough with a little practice. The bull is 2 inches across.
DSCF3345.JPG

The second target is at 200 yards. Everything the same. Aiming point the same. I used the on line Nikon Spot on the night before to figure out where to shoot at longer ranges. http://spoton.nikonsportoptics.com/spoton/spoton.html#:4. The bull is 3 inches across on this target.
DSCF3347.JPG

So, with only about 12 rounds of the Nosler, I am now happy with the rifle. Still requires practice and a higher end scope, but now feel better about the rifle. Retail on this ammo is over $50.00, but currently selling at $33.00 per box from the factory.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 11.23.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 11.23.48 AM.png
    806.2 KB · Views: 145
Last edited by a moderator:
Cheap Federal blue box Power Shok factory ammo...
Bob, tried some of the Power Shok two days ago in my new Ruger while zeroing it with the Nosler Trophy Grade ammo. All of the Federal shot 4-5 inches high and left of the Nosler. Keep in mind I wasn't making adjustments for the Federal. At least it was consistent. I have only used Power Shok in my M70 .375 for at least three years now. It has always been consistent on that 2 inch bull at 100 yards. Will not every change unless I ever decide to go after a buffalo with that particular rifle.........Congratulations on the African animal in Texas! Apparently got off at the wrong bus stop!!!

95 inch pounds of torque according to the Ruger video, regardless of stock material. That is only a little over 7 foot pounds, so it's not a lot.

All of my centerfires have composite stocks with aluminum bedding blocks and are glass bedded. I torque to 55 inch pounds.
Not going to argue with Ruger but unless those stocks are pillar bedded and/or glass bedded, I wouldn't torque that high on a bare inlet wood stock. Nit pick here, 95 inch pounds is 1 inch pound short of 8 foot pounds.

All of my centerfires have composite stocks with aluminum bedding blocks and are glass bedded. I torque to 55 inch pounds.
Not going to argue with Ruger but unless those stocks are pillar bedded and/or glass bedded, I wouldn't torque that high on a bare inlet wood stock. Nit pick here, 95 inch pounds is 1 inch pound short of 8 foot pounds.
Agree. My son and I agree (and he is much more knowledgeable about this than me) 95 inch pounds is much too high on walnut!

Agree. My son and I agree (and he is much more knowledgeable about this than me) 95 inch pounds is much too high on walnut!
If you take a Ruger apart, you can see how it is designed to take the 95 inch pounds, regardless which stock. That screw goes into the action/ballel and that force is spread out over a lot of wood or stock material. However, in my opinion, 40 is a bit too much on the back screw. I normally alternate from back to center and tighten them equally. But only after cranking that angle screw tight first. I know i have at least one Ruger owners manual that spells this out.. I'll see if i can find it when i get home.

The only real problems I've encountered with my larger caliber Rugers is one that was obviously fired a few times with a loose angle screw and the tang hit into the wood and made a couple superficial cracks.

On a Winchester yes you guys would be correct.

A Ruger is designed differently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Donnie58Q

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!