New Ruger African in .275 Rigby

Very anxious to hear a range report as I think these rifles look beautiful and in an excellent chambering. I subscribe to the "only accurate rifles are interesting" train of thought.

All those I have seen pics of have a little black button or screw on the underside of the forearm. Is this a screw into the bottom of the barrel? If so I wonder who thought that was a good idea?

A sling swivel stud is provided to replace the cap screw for those who do not wish to use the barrel band swivel stud. I believe it was a Ruger employee, to answer your question.

A sling swivel stud is provided to replace the cap screw for those who do not wish to use the barrel band swivel stud. I believe it was a Ruger employee, to answer your question.
Well that makes some sense anyway, as a barrel band is no good with a sling.

I don't understand exactly about the heavy bullet thing. Are you saying it wont chamber a 175 gr load of any shape? Just round nose? I have the No. 1 in .275 and it takes 175's. Seems odd Ruger would chamber this just for light bullets. Being a brand new rifle, were it mine I would send it to Ruger and tell them is should chamber any standard bullet weight for the round. I think they would take care of that. Its nice to have the heavy bullet option.

The .275 Rigby chamber is designed for the high speed load that came out in the mid 1900s, 1907? if I recall correctly. It also has a slightly different chamber neck, as I recall, presumably to facilitate patenting, in the same way that the .22-250 received a 28 degree shoulder so that it could be patented under its original name.

Should just be a slight increase to the throat, I know, I've already thought of every conceivable thing that can be said in reply to my statement!

Longer throat and recut leade, to be precise.

Seems unlikely to me that Ruger would go to any lengths to try to replicate a 1900's chamber when the round is essentially identical to the 7x57. I promise you Hornady does not make the brass different from its normal 7x57 dimensions. My Ruger No. 1 in .275 does accept 175 gr bullets to 3.165 OAL. I doubt Ruger would make the 77 shorter on purpose. By lousy QC, perhaps.

I am wondering if Rigby will come out with an entry level rifle modeled after the Ruger M77? :)

I may have to make a few phone calls myself @spike.t

Seems unlikely to me that Ruger would go to any lengths to try to replicate a 1900's chamber when the round is essentially identical to the 7x57. I promise you Hornady does not make the brass different from its normal 7x57 dimensions. My Ruger No. 1 in .275 does accept 175 gr bullets to 3.165 OAL. I doubt Ruger would make the 77 shorter on purpose. By lousy QC, perhaps.
Ses, and @Bullthrower338 my son is a long time reloaded, just not on a .275/7x57. He fully agrees with you that if your #1 handles the 175 gr. it would not make sense that the African Ruger .275 would not. We put another 25 or so rounds (140 gr) through it yesterday and finally got the iron sights on at 50. The sights are very fine and very difficult for old eyes to use. I mounted a cheap Nikon 3x9 on it today so we could get back to the range later this week to zero it at 100. When we checked last night about factory ammo with 175 gr. bullets, we couldn't find any. We found many large for caliber bullets for reloading. For the meantime, I will continue with 140 grain, but will stay on top if this thread for those of you smarter than me about this subject and let you put the large bullets down range and then report on it. Also I will post pics, bad or good of the targets when we get back to the range with the scope mounted!

When we checked last night about factory ammo with 175 gr. bullets, we couldn't find any. We found many large for caliber bullets for reloading

http://www.sellier-bellot.cz/en/product/rifle-ammunition/rifle-ammunition/products/detail/165/

Screen Shot 2017-08-15 at 8.53.20 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

@sestoppelman I did not say that the cartridge is different. I clearly said that the .275 Rigby chamber is designed for the high speed load that came out in the 1900s. Also, although I cannot presently locate a copy of the cartridge/chamber drawings for .275 Rigby, any difference in dimension for the case portion of the chamber was purely nominal in actual usage, i.e. just a legal trick to facilitate registration. The .275 Rigby info was published when Eley centrefire ammo was reintroduced but I cannot find my notes or download material from that time.

If your rifle has a .275 Rigby marking and the full size 7x57 chamber, that is a good practical arrangement, i.e. history and usability all in one. Have a good week.

No difference in the chamber throat on Rigby #1 or #2 as both will take 170 grain projectiles. Only difference is the sight regulation.

Got mine ordered(y) I did recently buy the RSI model, in the same chambering:whistle: But I had to have this one when I saw the ebony forearm tip..... I was going to shop hard but first price I was offered was $1150... No. So I also called Reed's in Walker MN, one of my favorite dealers... And he priced it at $999.00 plus they have a big fall sale this weekend I wanted an excuse to go to... AND he said it will be in by Friday:) So with no shipping and no extra FFL charge, it is on the way.

Now, are all 250 going out to AH guys or what:D

Now, Ammo! Oh wait, I do have 7x57 on the shelf:P Elmer Fudd:

ActionBob: Does your RSI model bark pretty loud with the 18.5 inch barrel?

So let me get this straight, you bought a rifle and haven't shot it yet. Then you bought another rifle on top of that.

That is sooooooooooooo cool!

Reed's / Northern Firearms is a very good dealer. I've bought a rifle and a few other items from them online and it's been a good experience.

So let me get this straight, you bought a rifle and haven't shot it yet. Then you bought another rifle on top of that.

That is sooooooooooooo cool!

Reed's / Northern Firearms is a very good dealer. I've bought a rifle and a few other items from them online and it's been a good experience.
Very normal for Bob and a whole lot of other members on this site!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross