New Ruger African 6.5x55 from Lipsey's

Typical late day delivery by the little brown santa claus,, just got home with the new rifle. At first glance it looked pretty nice but have to get it out and swab the bore now etc. Will get a couple of pix up tomorrow.

Here is mine, pretty nice rifle all told. Wood is a nice color with just a hint of figure, but mostly plain which is OK. Has the nicest trigger I have seen on a Ruger bolt action, more in line with the newer No.1's which all have nice triggers. Very light and dynamic feel to it. I see the few that were on Gunbroker are now gone, someone is now buying them so would suggest that those who want one had better get an order in or start haunting the auctions sites.

IMG_4510.JPG
IMG_4513.JPG
IMG_4514.JPG

One funny thing though. The factory rings...? One matte, one polished blue,:eek:o_O LOL. Had one to substitute but really guys?:(

Looks as though mine is really liking 140 gr Partitions behind 47 gr of RL 22. Can't see where this loads needs anymore tweaking..............
image.jpg

That is a great group!! Shot mine once so far, nothing to write home about yet. I fully expect to fully float the barrel at some point, trigger is nice. Once I get a few more rounds thru it, I may switch scopes if it doesn't improve. Scope I have on recently made groups like this one on another rifle so it may need a look.... we'll see.

Another batch must have been released, Gunbroker has about a dozen listed now.

Shot mine again today, improved after free floating the barrel yesterday. Just need to find the right load combo. Last group shot was 4 in an inch at 100, using 140 Interlocks and Win 760. Didn't seem to care much for 160 RN with 7828 powder, just meh.

Mornin folks. I'm entering the fray to comment on the Ruger M77 Hawkeye African in 6.5X55. I am a tremendous proponent of the Swede and it has been my primary whitetail rifle for the last 16 - 17 yrs. My main rifle was a Win M70 Classic Featherweight with a Douglas Premium air gauged barrel. It was faithful in delivering 3 shot 1/2 groups at 100 yrs. Enough of that. I gifted my best rifles to a brother by a different mother about 1 1/2 yrs ago. I got very lonely for another Swede so I ordered one of the Lipsey special African M77s. It arrived at my dealer and I was anxious to see my new rifle so I hurried down to the store. For the most part, the barreled action was really outstanding. The stock was lighter colored than what I expected. Wonder if they stained the wood. While the right side of the buttstock was passable, the left side reminded me of the old school desk top from back in the early 60s. I have talked with rep from Lipseys to find out what my options were (I have not yet filled out the 4473). They were adamant that they wanted to help and were going to contact my dealer and have them send it back for replacement. I'll let you know what happens.

Unfortunately Ruger wood has taken a big downturn in quality over the last 10 or so years, especially in the No.1 rifles. Really nice buttstock grain used to be a trademark of the No.1 but not so much anymore. My 6.5 has acceptable color and grain pattern. Still working with mine and trying different bullets. I had loaded up a box of 140 Nosler Ballistic Tips with IMR4320. Unfortunately the batch of powder I have must be much quicker burning than reputed as my starting load was hot enough to cause hard bolt lift and one blown primer, so took the rest home and pullet them down. Then tried some Sierra Game Kings of that weight and shot them with 760 and got some nice groups, under an inch, and no pressure; nor with 140 Hornady Spires, good shooting bullet. Its coming along nicely.

Unfortunately Ruger wood has taken a big downturn in quality over the last 10 or so years, especially in the No.1 rifles. Really nice buttstock grain used to be a trademark of the No.1 but not so much anymore. My 6.5 has acceptable color and grain pattern. Still working with mine and trying different bullets. I had loaded up a box of 140 Nosler Ballistic Tips with IMR4320. Unfortunately the batch of powder I have must be much quicker burning than reputed as my starting load was hot enough to cause hard bolt lift and one blown primer, so took the rest home and pullet them down. Then tried some Sierra Game Kings of that weight and shot them with 760 and got some nice groups, under an inch, and no pressure; nor with 140 Hornady Spires, good shooting bullet. Its coming along nicely.

Thanks. Maybe I am expecting too much in today's world. Will have to see what happens. Lipseys and my dealer are trying to possibly exchange rifles. On the question of loading options. My Swedes have preferred RL-22. My Douglas barrelled Classic Featherweight, would devour 46.0grs of RL-22 behind a Barnes 120gr TTSX for groups under MOA. It would also take 46.0grs of RL-22 behind a 140gr Nosler Accubond for groups under MOA. Best thing both groups were within an inch. I also loaded 39.5grs of Varget behind 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. This load produced groups under 3/4". This was my original load and I only changed because I wanted a tougher bullet. By the way, I have since gifted this rifle to my dear friend in Minnesota. He took his young daughter bear hunting last year and the Swede with the 120gr Barnes took her first bear. Just like my previous experience, anytime you double-lung an animal, they do not go far with a proper bullet

Aint that purdy!?

LOL, didn't even think of that.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::rolleyes::rolleyes: At least I didn't use a capital P!o_O

No, haven't but I think there is a few rounds of it coming with a big you know what ton of stuff I got from a guy on another forum, for a song I might add. Brass, bullets, some loads, dies etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you