Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Zambia, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Hungary, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
My friend Lance Hendershot was able to get me a few of the promotional photos of the new Rigby Highland Stalker. First ones should be arriving in the US before the end of April. It is a very close copy of the rifle Corbett was given for killing man-eating tigress of Champawat. The stock is identical except for a bit less drop to accommodate the use of a scope. Corbett's was a .275 and this rifle will be offered in that caliber, .30-06, .308, 8x57, and 9.3x62. My order is in for the .275. The 9.3 would be a wonderful light DG rifle. Anyway, this pictures show the rifle with a few of the bells and whistles.

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Somehow that muzzle cover seems to be slightly more classy than electric tape. :)

Somehow that muzzle cover seems to be slightly more classy than electric tape. :)

Or a condom!

@Red Leg that is a classy looking rifle. Do the big question: will you buy a 7x57 or a .275 Rigby? If it were me I'd demand they stamp both on the barrel so you can use either ammo in Africa and can overcome brass headstamp issues.

Nice looking rifle, congrats !

Red Leg how much will one of these set you back?

Or a condom!

@Red Leg that is a classy looking rifle. Do the big question: will you buy a 7x57 or a .275 Rigby? If it were me I'd demand they stamp both on the barrel so you can use either ammo in Africa and can overcome brass headstamp issues.
Not offered in 7x57 markings. Hornady I believe is loading .275 labeled brass and Hendershots will load it for me. I use them a lot and he'll work up a couple of loads for this rifle before sending it to me.

Red Leg how much will one of these set you back?
Still awaiting the final number. With basic stock will come in a bit under 10k.

It sure looks nice in the picture! I hope you enjoy it and get to use it in the field.

Still awaiting the final number. With basic stock will come in a bit under 10k.

@Red Leg why is it so much? There double square bridge has a prechtl action that costs about $4500. The light calibers use a round ring receiver that is around $500. Shouldn't there be a fair delta between the large bore and smal bore? Or does it come with a lot of bells and whistles like quarter rib, QD mounts, Color hardening, etc?

It looks gorgeous, just curious if how it's configured.

@Red Leg why is it so much? There double square bridge has a prechtl action that costs about $4500. The light calibers use a round ring receiver that is around $500. Shouldn't there be a fair delta between the large bore and smal bore? Or does it come with a lot of bells and whistles like quarter rib, QD mounts, Color hardening, etc?

It looks gorgeous, just curious if how it's configured.
Because they have carefully determined the maximum value of the brand. I would say it is a 3500 dollar rifle with an additional 3500 cachet. But it is a Rigby.

No slight was intended, it's a great looking rifle. I was just curious why priced at parity to the magnums since their actions are so bloody expensive?

Make you cry to shoot it off though.

It would.
At least if you are using open sights you should catch on. If not, then you have other serious problems.

Sweet rig!

Nice! It will be a great addition to the collection.

Btw, you can get some pretty coloured electrical tape nowadays.:)

Because they have carefully determined the maximum value of the brand. I would say it is a 3500 dollar rifle with an additional 3500 cachet. But it is a Rigby.

@Red Leg I have to apologize for the way my post came out. I celebrate your gun. I didn't mean to sound like I was putting it down in any way. I was just curious as to differences. I had to look it up. It's exactly the same components as a dangerous game Rigby minus the magnum square bridge. It's 1600 GBP less which I would say is roughly the price difference of the two actions. So in short, there is no "angle" of them charging more than they should, etc. it seems like it's offered at an equal markup on raw materials.

But the big question: where are you hunting with it and what will you hunt first? What happens to your 318WR now that you've found this new love?

Did you get to pick the wood and LOP and other features, or did you buy off the standard order sheet? ETA?

No drama and no offense taken. These rifles are built to a standard - not bespoke. Those coming to these shores will have a choice of grade 3 or 5 English walnut. Everything else is stock.

With respect to the .318's, a better question is what will I do with my other two 7x57's? :( Headed up to BC in May - should it make it in time, I might take it and some 175gr loads along for a black bear. If not, we do have deer in Texas.

Sure - or at least maybe. The camp rifles are an '06 and a .270. Seem to kill a lot of bears every year. I used a 9.3 last year, and it was decidedly enough gun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg