Albert GRANT

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA, Canada, Ireland
If you were having a new rifle built and the only finish option was bluing, would you choose matte for limiting reflection while hunting, or go with polished for the classic look? Basing opinion on rifle having a figured walnut stock. Which would hold the value more? Considering having E.R. Shaw build me a lefty, but I have seen on other guns that the matte finish can be a chore to keep looking good so I'm leaning towards polished, but unsure

Polished bluing but not with a super high sheen. But I like the classic look.

I think you answered your own question. Gloss blue, IMO. It will age better and look better, longer. A gloss finish that is worn, looks aged and thin and "normal". A matte finish that is worn, looks scuffed and damaged. A gloss finish is easier to clean, oil and maintain- sounds counterintuitive but it's true.

@fourfive8 is correct; polished blue will not stay that way with use. Look at a lot of older rifles and you'll see that the bluing will sort of matte on its own without looking bad. Plus it gives your rifle lots of character!

I like the polished look on blued/wood rifles.
Classic style and it will age well.

However, I also think the stock should have a little shine to it as well.
A nice hand rubbed gloss oil finish would be nice to match it up.
No offense, but I'm not much for putting lacquer on wood.

Agree 100% especially on figured wood.

I love glossy barrels but imo you need a glossy scope to match. The problem is only like 1 or 2 models are currently being made so you are stuck with something very specific and pricey. You can buy a used scope but my personal policy is to never do that.

For that reason, I say matte but make sure it's not that chalky looking / feeling kind

Went with the gloss, action was only available in gloss for LH anyway, come to find out, and I wasn't about to order a mismatched rifle!

if you want a nice gloss but not a beacon advertising your whereabouts, a good rust blue cannot be beaten.
but proper rust blue is labour intensive and time consuming and therefore expensive.
it is in very good taste.
my own rifles look a bit like parkerized, being sand blasted.
sand blasting aids in barrel cooling due to increased surface area, and is non reflective.
I use Johnson's paste wax (furniture and floor wax) on their exteriors as it is very rust preventative, and lasts longer than oil.
bruce.

Do you have pics by any chance?
I did it with a 320 grit finish as I couldn't source a light enough grit locally to blast it. Used a home mix based on Neidner formula.
Screenshot_20200224-192950.jpg
Screenshot_20200224-193222.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BeeMaa
I'm with you 100% mate gloss blue and oil finished wood. All kept nice with Gilleys gun polish wax.
full

Been using this rifle for 6 years, gotta love Gilleys for protection. 1885 low wall built in 1891 customized 2013.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,