New Project Rifle Turning into 35 Whelen

That "dog" should hunt. Now we are waiting for some range results. I suspect that we will soon have another member "touting" the attributes of the 35 Whelen.

I want to go and test her out ASAP!
Yes! I do want to be “touting” the attributes of the .35 Whelen very badly. Can’t wait to do it!

Hawk

@hawkeyesatx
How goes the rebuild mate have you decided what you are doing yet.
Bob

What you haven't given input on a .35?

@hawkeyesatx
Have a look at the size of the barrel on mine mate.
Bob
View attachment 416208
It is .70 at the muzzle and my gunsmith installed the barrel sans the barrel nut. It can still be a quick change if I want it.
It is a tad heavey a 9 and a bit pounds field ready. It does have steel mount and rings 3-9 x42 ziess.
With the but cartridge carrier full it goes up to 10#. I usually carry a couple of heavier 250gr in it incase I need them.

Mmm, I don't see him going away from a Whelen somehow,

Thank you.
I’m glad I more than likely won’t need a muzzle brake to put on it.
Yeah, it should be plenty heavy with the varmint contour, I believe.

Hawk
If you do thread for a muzzle brake to use at the range have your gunsmith make you a cap so you can remove it for hunting. Just a suggestion that way you can use it or not at your will.

@hawk
Thank you Bob!
The barrel really isn’t all that shiny, thanks. It’s already very dull, but for some reason it comes out fairly shiny in the pics.
The muzzle has an 11 degree target crown.
She’s quite heavy as well, which is good, because that’ll help keep the recoil down, especially for those full power loads you have mentioned prior.
I, too, hope it shoots as well as it looks!

Hawk
@hawkeyesatx
Load her up and let her rip mate keep me posted
Bob

What you haven't given input on a .35?

Mmm, I don't see him going away from a Whelen somehow,
@CBH
Chris I didn't need to give hawk any help. He already had a good action in the Savage, good twist rate, great cartridge. Just need some windage adjustable mounts and a nice Ziess or Leupold CDS scope.
Bob

If you do thread for a muzzle brake to use at the range have your gunsmith make you a cap so you can remove it for hunting. Just a suggestion that way you can use it or not at your will.
@MS 9x56
Problem with that is the change in barrel harmonics. The POI shifts if the cap is a different weight to the brake.
The ideal would be to get a brake like the Savage that you leave on permanently and can turn it on or off.
With the weight of the set up I don't think the recoil will be an issue.
My daughter can use mine off the bench with 225s but the 250s are a bit much for her.
I'm sure our mate hawk will handle it no problem.
Bob

35 Whelen in a sensible weight rifle of 8> doesn’t recoil much more than a 30-06 to me but then I love 35 caliber rifles. Probably the hardest kicking rifle I own is my Ruger American 30-06 but that’s because with scope sling and a full magazine it just barely makes 7 lbs. With 250 grain bullets it will kill anything on this continent and most any other outside of Africa.

35 Whelen in a sensible weight rifle of 8> doesn’t recoil much more than a 30-06 to me but then I love 35 caliber rifles. Probably the hardest kicking rifle I own is my Ruger American 30-06 but that’s because with scope sling and a full magazine it just barely makes 7 lbs. With 250 grain bullets it will kill anything on this continent and most any other outside of Africa.
@MS 9x56
If'n the 338WM with 250s will handle all the pg in Africa and all game anywhere else there's no reason why the Whelen with a 250gr at the same or similar speed won't do the same despite what the naysayers think.
Bob

@MS 9x56
If'n the 338WM with 250s will handle all the pg in Africa and all game anywhere else there's no reason why the Whelen with a 250gr at the same or similar speed won't do the same despite what the naysayers think.
Bob
NByXM19fbJMAAAAM.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZaneDenova

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg