AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life Member NRA, Life Member DAV
Hunted
Coyote, Deer, Elk, Moose
Hello Everyone!

I finally traded for a Savage 111 in .270 Win.
My next step is going to be ordering either an ER Shaw stainless barrel in 35 Whelen, or I’m going to get a Shilen barrel in 35 Whelen.
I have the number of a gentleman that does barrel threading, and I just might have him do just that, so I can add a muzzle brake.
I was wondering what the consensus would be to modify, if anything, for my new, going to be 35 Whelen.

Hawk
IMG_1286.jpg

IMG_1287.jpg

My recommendation would be to skip the brake.. that rifle will be heavy enough that the Whelen won’t produce enough recoil to really bother you..

That savage should shoot exceptionally well and make an excellent platform for your Whelen project

My recommendation would be to skip the brake.. that rifle will be heavy enough that the Whelen won’t produce enough recoil to really bother you..

That savage should shoot exceptionally well and make an excellent platform for your Whelen project

Thank you.
I’m glad I more than likely won’t need a muzzle brake to put on it.
Yeah, it should be plenty heavy with the varmint contour, I believe.

Hawk

Install a nice wood stock,

Thank you.
I’m glad I more than likely won’t need a muzzle brake to put on it.
Yeah, it should be plenty heavy with the varmint contour, I believe.

Hawk
@hawkeyesatx
Have a look at the size of the barrel on mine mate.
Bob
20200201_135545.jpg

It is .70 at the muzzle and my gunsmith installed the barrel sans the barrel nut. It can still be a quick change if I want it.
It is a tad heavey a 9 and a bit pounds field ready. It does have steel mount and rings 3-9 x42 ziess.
With the but cartridge carrier full it goes up to 10#. I usually carry a couple of heavier 250gr in it incase I need them.

@hawkeyesatx
How goes the rebuild mate have you decided what you are doing yet.
Bob

I am very very happy to say that I ordered the ER Shaw 24 inch Stainless Steel Magnum contour barrel, a 1 in 14 inch twist. I also ordered a rear entry action wrench to help with the change process.

It should be here 3 days before my birthday!
WOO-HOO!
I am super pumped!!!

Hawk

I am very very happy to say that I ordered the ER Shaw 24 inch Stainless Steel Magnum contour barrel, a 1 in 14 inch twist. I also ordered a rear entry action wrench to help with the change process.

WOO-HOO!
I am super pumped!!!

Hawk
@hawkeyesatx
Hawk get on that loading bench and start loading.
Bob

WOO-HOO!
I am super pumped!!!

Hawk

Here is my project rifle so far!
Took the barrel off and switched it with an E.R. Shaw 24 inch Magnum contour, 1 in 14 inch twist, Stainless Steel barrel.
Took some effort to get the old .270 barrel off, but did, and now she’s a .35 Whelen!
Took some playing around to get the headspace gauges to work correctly, but dammit, I wasn’t going to let that beat me!!
Now, all I have to do is inlet the stock a little, and she’ll be fully functional!

Hawk
IMG_1451.jpg

IMG_1452.jpg

That "dog" should hunt. Now we are waiting for some range results. I suspect that we will soon have another member "touting" the attributes of the 35 Whelen.

@hawkeyesatx
Hawk all you need to do now is get that shiny barrel bead or sand blasted to take the shine off it.
I hope it shoots as well as it looks for you.
Have fun and enjoy those FULL POWER LOADS.
Bob

Thank you Bob!
The barrel really isn’t all that shiny, thanks. It’s already very dull, but for some reason it comes out fairly shiny in the pics.
The muzzle has an 11 degree target crown.
She’s quite heavy as well, which is good, because that’ll help keep the recoil down, especially for those full power loads you have mentioned prior.
I, too, hope it shoots as well as it looks!

Hawk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg