New Plains Game Rifle

Snap-Shot

Reaction score
Hello all,

As you can see this is only my second post (so far). Anyway, I'm planning to go to Ethiopia with a friend after graduation in May, his parents have done missionary work there for years and say they can set me up with a PH for at least a few days hunting while I'm there.

So, I've been thinking I should probably buy myself a new rifle for the trip. No good reason really, I've got several that would work, but hey why not? After surveying the safe, I seem to be lacking single shots and was thinking a Ruger No.1 would fit the bill just right since I'm not going to be hunting any dangerous game. Well, I've narowed it down to one of two models and was wondering if any one here might have any thoughts about it. The two are a .300 H&H Medium Sporter with a 26" barrel and a .303 British Light Sporter with a 22" barrel. Price is about the same, but my main concerns are the speed of the .300 for close shots and on the flip side the lack thereof in the .303 (for longer shots).

I'm a pretty adept stalker and have relied on still hunting almost exclusively for eight seasons now. Even in open country I can usually get within 150 yards or so, which is why the speed concerns me... The longest shot I've ever had to take was a on a pronghorn at about 250 yards and I only took that one because it was take the shot or go home empty handed. But never having hunted there (Ethiopia), and since my friends parents don't hunt, I'm not really sure what to plan for.

Either would work I suppose, but I'm torn between the two. Both have lots of history on their side and both have solid track records on game. Unfortunately, I've only enough extra in the hunting budjet for one...

Without a doubt, I would get the 300 H&H, it's a classic caliber and a great Africa choice.....you can't go wrong with that one for plains game!

*budget

That's the direction I'm leaning, I'm partial to long barrels and that 26" tube just looks amazing on the No.1... Not to mention, I can always load the .300 down to .303 levels if I want to, but can't do the reverse. I do love the .303 though, I usually take a No.1MkIV sporter hunting as a an extra gun and I actually do use it occaisionally. It performs very well. There's not really much to say about it, it goes bang, and things drop...

Was browsing GunBroker, and decided to snap up a .300 H&H Ruger No.1. Needless to say, I'm quite pleased!

I think you made a wise decision!

The No. 1 is a favorite of mine. Awaiting delivery of my new .303 Brit as described above. Also have the 7x57 and a SS .257 Roberts that shoots superbly. For plains game I think the .300 H&H would be the way to go. Years ago the #1 had a spotty reputation for accuracy but since Ruger started making their own barrels and I think paying closer attention to some details, the #1 rifles made in recent years are uniformly excellent and everyone I have owned shot very well.

The No 1 is an excellent choice, caliber as well. Ruger has started making some really good, working tool rifles. Scott.

To update what I said about waiting for the #1 .303; Been shooting it now for a few weeks and can report that it shoots most excellent! Did an abbreviated barrel break-in and the first 3 shot group was under an inch with 150 Sierra ProHunter bullets. Now shooting the same bullet only 180 grs and it shoots equally well and since the #1 is much stronger than the SMLE the old warhorse can be boosted a bit. I expect to be able to drive safely, the 180 gr bullet to somewhere between 2600 and 2700 fps when I get to the chrony. That puts it in factory '06 territory and thus perfectly suitable for about 90 per cent of shooting. Trying to decide now if I want to hassle with two guns in June going to Zim. That is assuming the whole world hasnt gone totally nuts, which by all the bad stuff happening today would not surprise me one bit.

sestoppelman, good to hear, I am not surprised though. The No. 1's are great rifles. I have a couple and they shoot pretty good (MOA) right out of the box, but, with a 100 rds through them, they definetly shot better. 45-70 and a 7mm mauser.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!