Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Australia/NZ
Hunted
USA, New Zealand, Namibia, Spain
Most of the comments on here suggest using an established outfitter. What about an experienced PH that is establishing his own outfit? Here's the website: http://dzombo.com/.

They were at the DSC 2017 and they seem to know what they're doing, but I don't - so, I'm not sure what to think. They do work with an agent and the agent seems to be easy to talk to and responsive and helpful. Here's her link: http://buchananhunts.com/

Any comments or thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know anything about these folks but there are lots of great outfitters on this site.

Most of the comments on here suggest using an established outfitter.

That is for good reason.... I'm not suggesting that you would have a bad time with a new outfitter just starting out. Every outfitter is new at one point. However, for a first safari, why take the chance on the unknown? Hopefully the answer is not to save a few bucks....

Research thoroughly with due diligence, and if you feel confident in your selection, have at it. The other option is to select one of several well-established, experienced outfitters who are sponsors here on AH. They are all reputable, reachable, and represent every corner of southern Africa. Most sponsoring outfitters here also have scores of former clients that are also AH members who you can personally reference.

Speak with them as much as possible, more importantly ask for about 10 references and not just from the last 2 years, ask him for hunters going back 8-10 years

That is for good reason

Agreed! Africa is not the destination to roll the dice in my opinion. Research your outfitters thoroughly and have a great time!

I have gone with new outfitters before with no problems at all. If you ask the right questions you will get a good idea what he can offer. Most new place will go out of there way as they are building there business and can not afford to not go all out to make you happy.

Since he has been a Ph already and has handled clients I think you will just be find. I myself have never used a reference as it does not mean you will have a great hunt and very few will give you people who may of had problems as a reference.

I would say if your gut feeling is good go for it and enjoy your trip. I would tell you after looking at his prices he is over priced for namibia on must animals

Ditto Billc.
Any hunt can go bad, weather, animals not out, full moon, etc. Like anyone at a new job, you try your best to get established.

I think you must decide where and what you want to hunt. They are primarily in Namibia but looks like they offer hunts all over. For me personally I prefer to hunt with a guy where he lives and knows the area well. Some of these guys who fly you all over the place I am not so sure about. I think you can find some recent complaints here about hunts conducted far from the outfitters home range.
On a positive note they have a good website and look professional so no reason not to investigate further.
PM me for outfitter recommendations if you'd like.
Regards,
Philip

Established vs. New Outfitters

As someone said above, all outfitters were new at some point. And for anyone new to the business and wants to run a proper honest business, I wish them all the best in their endeavours.

The simple way of looking at this is an established outfitter with a good reputation is someone that if you plunk down a deposit, you can sleep well at night until your hunt starts that you've given your money to someone who isn't going to go out of business sometime before your hunt begins, taking your deposit with them. If they've been around and again established a good rep, then they know how to treat their clients and just as importantly how not to treat their clients.

Having said that, it's not a 100% guarantee. Occasionally you see an outfitter who has had nothing but glowing reports for years, does go out of business. Or an outfitter is struggling for whatever reason and this starts to show in how hunts are conducted.

But from what I've seen, established outfitters are that for a reason and the majority of hunters who hunt with these guys have good experiences.

With new outfitters, you just don't know what you're getting, there's no history to read on the specific outfit. In this case from the quick perusal I made, it seems Dzombo was started by some PH's who have some years of experience under their belts. So hopefully that experience has taught them the right way to do things which they'll hopefully follow and also the wrong way to do things which they'll hopefully avoid.

If you decide to continue looking at Dzombo for your hunt, I'd encourage you to do as much research on the gents that started this outfit. If they've got the experience they say they do, their names should pop up in hunt reports.

But in the end with a new outfitter, you're not likely to have the same level of confidence in as you would one that's experienced. There will be some higher level of perceived if not real risk, only you can decide how much that will weigh on your mind.

If you decide to continue looking at Dzombo for your hunt, I'd encourage you to do as much research on the gents that started this outfit. If they've got the experience they say they do, their names should pop up in hunt reports. ................ .

With little effort I have found:

The two owners:
Ali Ipinge and Japsie Blaauw

The blurbs on the website. Does this look like a business proposal to you?

"(DHS) was formed in 2015 by two revolutionary men"

About Japsie
"numerous Dangerous Game Safaris under his belt"

" have a significant role to play in conservation in both Namibia and Africa as a whole."

Do you know who the first named partner/owner Ali Ipinge is?
His current employment:
Road Fund Administration November 1, 2014 to present

The Banker is the lead owner.

From NAPHA:
Blaauw, JN

Extraordinary Member

Dzombo Hunting Safaris Close Corporation

PO Box 1677
Academia

Tel: 081 146 4959
E-mail: japsie86(at)gmail.com

At least his address is in Namibia.

I want to know what an "extraordinary Member is" I know the first four types can legally hunt in Namibia.

Membership Types in NAPHA
  1. [PH] Professional Hunter
  2. [MHG] Master Hunting Guide
  3. [HG] Hunting Guide
  4. [BGH] Big Game Hunter
  5. [EM] Extraordinary Member
  6. [HM] Honorary Member
  7. [SM] Sponsoring Member
  8. [CM] Corporate Member

Extraordinary Member

I want to know what an "extraordinary Member is" I know the first four types can legally hunt in Namibia.

Membership Types in NAPHA
  1. [PH] Professional Hunter
  2. [MHG] Master Hunting Guide
  3. [HG] Hunting Guide
  4. [BGH] Big Game Hunter
  5. [EM] Extraordinary Member
  6. [HM] Honorary Member
  7. [SM] Sponsoring Member
  8. [CM] Corporate Member

NAPHA MEMBERSHIP CATEGORIES

(Membership cycle – 01 September – 31 August)

Ordinary Member
This member must have passed the official Namibian examination as a hunting professional.
NAD3,975.00 per annum

Extraordinary Member
Any person living in Namibia (Namibian resident or a person with a valid permanent residence permit) who generates an income from trophy hunting or any person who has a safari company with trophy hunting as a full-time or part-time occupation can be an “Extraordinary member”.
NAD2,980.00 per annum

Sponsoring Member
Any natural or legal person with a personal or business interest in the implementation of the Association's objectives can be a “Sponsoring member”.
NAD1,925.00 (Namibian) per annum
NAD1,685.00 (Foreign) per annum

Associated Member
Any association or organization with objectives and interests similar to those of NAPHA can be an associated member based on the principle of reciprocity. (Eg. Conservancy membership)
NAD3,975.00 per annum

Attachments

• 2016_Membership_Application_Form.pdf
    500.2 KB · Views: 122
Interesting categories.

Ultimately the choice is yours BUT if I were you I think you should do yourself a favor and check out some of the sponsor PH/outfitters on this site. they have all been pretty well vetted by many of the members here and are known quatities. doesnt always guarantee no prblms but i think increases the odd significantly. Also as to being NEW that wouldnt sit well with me for a dangerous game hunt. So do your research and have fun and practice, practice with the gun's that you intend to take on safari with you from sticks. good luck! BTW I would suggest you check out Andri Fox he is a well know quantity with excellent rep, many lions, elephants, buff hunts under his belt for certain(y)

....... What about an experienced PH that is establishing his own outfit?........ .

I have zero issues with a new guy. I also have the ability to find out plenty about them and know the questions to ask. Spend some time finding out what to ask.

Never mind you are throwing an agent of unknown origin (to me) on top of this equation.

Research the owners, PH's and the Outfit. the properties etc.

If this man has won an award, where is it? I can't find hide nor hair of it. Not saying he does not have it. I can't find it, which is odd.

There is nothing funnier to me than some new guy popping up a web site and making all kinds of over the top claims.

Here is a picture from their website. Do you recognize the guy?

Contact him and ask with whom he hunted this Elephant.

boddington elephant.jpg

An image search pulled up the same image from Cabelas. Another potential source for information.

dfghj.jpg

Have fun researching.

One other thing that can happen is you may book with a place and the ph and outfitter are one and the same. They you could book a hunt with a well know outfitter that uses a ph to run the hunts. Well that ph could leave at any time and move to a new outfitter. Your hunt will still go on but things have changed now so your homework may not be worth as much now. You most trust both the outfitter and Ph to give you what you want and need.

Way to many guys go with what they think is the big name and that makes there hunt better. There is many new guys or guys with a few years under there belt that will give you a great hunt to. Each person handles the risk different so it all come down to how you handle things.

Last edited:
Most of the bad reviews that I have read are where an outfitter is hunting in a different country then his own. That's generally where the outfitter cannot control the product delivery. I would not be afraid of booking with a new company, but the money would have to be held in escrow by an agent that I trusted. That said, I would be very afraid where the outfitter uses stock photos, unless you can be sure the stock photo was from them.

If having an impeccable reputation as an outfitter wasn't worth earning, I doubt so many of the best outfits would work so tirelessly to achieve and maintain one.

But in the end with a new outfitter, you're not likely to have the same level of confidence in as you would one that's experienced. There will be some higher level of perceived if not real risk, only you can decide how much that will weigh on your mind.

Again, the above is well stated and agreed... Each prospective client has to run the numbers on the risk vs. reward for themselves, and decide if the possibility of a less than desirable outcome is acceptable for them. I have no problem trying out the new guy either if we are talking about trying out a new restaurant, or even chartering a fishing guide for a half a day as examples. However, I would advise much more due diligence when plunking down thousands of dollars on what is likely a "once in a lifetime" dream trip like an African safari for a good many folks researching here. On that, I personally would not gamble.

There are no guarantees either way , a established outfitter with good references may not be your PH but some one with far less experience, or you may get the best Ph of any hunt. I've had a couple of good hunts with relatively new outfits.

Just my two cents.

Have you conversed with any other outfitters in Namibia? At the least, I would ask around, not about this outfit in particular, but about what and how you wish to hunt.

If you ask multiple outfitters in Namibia the same questions, and this outfitter gives you different or strange answers, then you should be cautious, especially if other outfitters are in the same region.

I'm hunting Namibia in May near Omaruru. When I started my search, I had 15 outfitters on my list. Emailed each. Received seven return emails. Interviewed them, got references and narrowed it down to three. Final interview was in person at the Denver ISE. I didn't end up with the cheapest, but I'm comfortable with my choice.
Good luck.

Thanks everyone. Gives me more things to consider and evaluate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!