Shylow

Reaction score
Hi all,

My boyfriend and myself have been discussing the possibility of heading to Africa for a hunt (for specific plains game). This forum has been a great place for me to acquire some of the answers I've been looking for.

I think the biggy for me is in a few of my inquiries I've been contacted by a kind of a go between or representative living in the States to set up an African hunt, but how do you know that they are who they say they are? and is this a common practice?

I just want to make sure that when we do this, that we actually get to experience this probably once in a lifetime hunt, then be taken for a very expensive lesson. :)

Make certain you check references as in more than one. Ask experienced hunters about the agent's reputation as well as the PH you will be hunting with.

If it does not feel right, it probably is not.

Which country are you thinking about hunting?

BTW if I receive unsolicited calls, letters, or emails from outfitters that I have not heard of they all go in the garbage.

Thank you for that advice, I will be definitly taking it! I guess if I'm questioning the email, then it shows me that it should be garbaged.

We are thinking South Africa, I've heard good things about it.

Robin

As you probably have read the site has/is being revised, so traffic has been a little slow, but is coming back quickly. There are several guys that post on here that conduct hunts in South Africa. Namibia is another good plains game area. There are also several people on the site that have made multiple plains game hunts in these countries. Hopefully they chime in.

Always be careful when choosing an outfitter to plan your hunting experience. There are quite a few respectable and successful US States based outfitters, this forum also contains some great information. I would make sure you get references of people who already went on hunts with their outfit to get their personally opinion of the trip. The cost alone makes you have to do the proper research. What are you thinking of hunting?

Thank you both. I do look forward to meeting new people, I will also do research and ask the questions :). And I am starting to feel better about this now,

My boyfrriend would love to get his Sable, and Kudu... He is still tossing around a few other animals. For myself I am stiil up in the air.

It depends on how big of a sable you are looking for...I know it's pretty high on my list. For free range hunts you can try Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania, Namibia, and Mozambique too name a few. There are always fenced it properties in most countries. Prices range from $6000 to $15000+...it all depends. It all depends. Some places the trophy fee is low, but the daily fees are high.

I really like the Limpopo Province for big kudu, but heck they can be found all over South Africa, Namibia, and Zimbabwe...the critical question to ask is how many are on the property and what quality is available. Anything in 50+ inch range in very good. The east cape kudu will be small in length but it's fun to hunt. A good kudu can go for $1000 to $3000...it all depends on the quality and the outfitter.

Hi Shylow

Welcome to the forum & youd get all your questions answered here, there are very fine & thorough professional outfitters to cater to your desired trophy animal you intend taking. Check out the references as Mike 70560 stated , gather the knowhow of the outfit you wish to hunt with and the PH guiding you, and this forum shall furnish very satisfactory replies.

So happy hunting and may you guys bag a trophy class sable

Monish

That is a valid question. One thing you can do is read more about them on their website, and/or contact some previous clients, or google them. This forum may also help you in verifying if the agent or outfit is legitimate.

The advantage of using an agent in the US is that you have a local contact for all your inquiries, information and booking. It is not always easy to contact people overseas and it also helps in case something goes wrong like flight delays etc.

Werner
Intu Safaris

Robin - welcome to AH.com! I'm sure will find a lot of information on this site to help you plan for your first safari. If you need any help in the travel/airfare portion of it then don't hesitate to ask - as with most airfare, the more advance notice you can give the better the price/schedule will be. You can book flights 11 months prior to your return date. Enjoy the planning - you won't be disappointed in Africa!

Thank you all so much for the help and information... it has and will all come in handy.
We have now also met with some great guys with the local chaper of SCI, and learned a bunch thru them as well.

I am feeling so much better about this then I did when I first posted, and am very greatful that I found this site.

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marplot

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois