New member, planning a trip to Africa!!

I am a big fan of Darn tough wool socks, and a change midday is a good idea. I know a construction guy that wears them year round and has no problem in the summer time either. I don't think we will be getting into wet areas, although you never know when hunting! I assume an all leather boot is the best, as I see the Courteney Sealous is made from cape buffalo leather. Also Ridgewalker, that backpack in your picture isn't the 5.11 Rush 12 is it? I was thinking a backpack would be good to take as my carry on and then use it over there. Do you take a pack in the truck?

Yes it is the 5.11 Rush 12. Yes it is my carry-on and yes I carry it in the truck as well with TP, spare ammo, etc.

Welcome to AH Markopolo50! Nice to have you on the site and we look forward to you sharing your stories!

Hi and welcome to AH. I'm new to this site, and going to Tanzania this August...my first trip to Africa. I have a lot to learn, but this site has helped tremendously!

I chose a two buffalo hunt, and will try to throw in a wart hog, maybe another PG if money and time permit. I probably should have started with plains game, but I figured I'm only going to make it over there once. Most everyone says that...

Just curious, what part of Africa are you hunting? Looks like you are an accomplished hunter over here, and your firearms are up to the task, but what kind of optics?

Hi and welcome to AH. I'm new to this site, and going to Tanzania this August...my first trip to Africa. I have a lot to learn, but this site has helped tremendously!

I chose a two buffalo hunt, and will try to throw in a wart hog, maybe another PG if money and time permit. I probably should have started with plains game, but I figured I'm only going to make it over there once. Most everyone says that...

Just curious, what part of Africa are you hunting? Looks like you are an accomplished hunter over here, and your firearms are up to the task, but what kind of optics?

Rum Runner, That is my theory also, but I am not going to say "never" to going only once to Africa, HA. I would say you have a few hunting experiences under your belt also, aka Stone sheep. That is a great trophy. The wolf in my picture was shot on a grizzly bear hunt. No bear but the wolf took the cake!

I am using a Browning A bolt that I bought from my brother in law that lived in Kentucky. He was a gun nut too and just ran across a deal on the 375. He had never shot it but we did before I bought it from him. I put a Leupold 1.5-5 Vari x III on it and it should suffice. Brother in law has passed away since then, so I will have some more memories of him if I get to shoot a buffalo with it.

Looks like you are all set with your CZ. How do you like that set up?

Rum Runner, That is my theory also, but I am not going to say "never" to going only once to Africa, HA. I would say you have a few hunting experiences under your belt also, aka Stone sheep. That is a great trophy. The wolf in my picture was shot on a grizzly bear hunt. No bear but the wolf took the cake!

I am using a Browning A bolt that I bought from my brother in law that lived in Kentucky. He was a gun nut too and just ran across a deal on the 375. He had never shot it but we did before I bought it from him. I put a Leupold 1.5-5 Vari x III on it and it should suffice. Brother in law has passed away since then, so I will have some more memories of him if I get to shoot a buffalo with it.

Looks like you are all set with your CZ. How do you like that set up?
Desert Bighorn taken here in Nevada last year, thank you. The hunt of a lifetime, for sure.

THAT is a big wolf and congratulations. Where did you take him? Alaska?

I love my CZ, and like the scope, but I had a few problems with the way the scope mounted and the bolt action. I had it worked on and its better...

The rifle is ready, but I'm not. I need to work up some hand loads, and practice shooting off sticks. I'm going to try to get at least 100 rounds through it before the big hunt, starting this weekend.

Good luck on your buffalo hunt!

Desert Bighorn taken here in Nevada last year, thank you. The hunt of a lifetime, for sure.

THAT is a big wolf and congratulations. Where did you take him? Alaska?

I love my CZ, and like the scope, but I had a few problems with the way the scope mounted and the bolt action. I had it worked on and its better...

The rifle is ready, but I'm not. I need to work up some hand loads, and practice shooting off sticks. I'm going to try to get at least 100 rounds through it before the big hunt, starting this weekend.

Good luck on your buffalo hunt!

Desert bighorn is one of the hardest. I have taken a Dall in Alaska and that was an over the counter tag. 19 years in the Wyoming draw for bighorn, fingers crossed. Yes, the wolf was shot while on a grizz hunt two years ago. It was a spring hunt on snowmachines looking for the bears to come out of hibernation. Too early as we only saw one sow with two cubs. Happened across a pack but only saw this one wolf. Others were around as when my guide was skinning him, others were not far away howling. Saw other evidence nearby, actually raw meat on our snowmachine trail. Long story/theory there.

You going after two buffalo's? That would be nice for sure. Good luck to you too.

Ok, one of many questions I will probably ask. I have a SKB travel gun case. It is an older one with the locking metal latches. There isn't any holes for padlocks. I've never had a problem traveling before but never went to Africa either. Will my SKB be OK? My buddy has a Tuff pak which will hold 4 guns and we can put them all in there.

If my Kimber 8400, my 300 win mag, will fit in the Tuff Pak we are going to take only one rifle case. My Browning a bolt in 375 is alot shorter!! I am not sure what size Tuff Pak he has but the 8400 is long. If not I have a plan "B".

I do have a question on the ammo for the 375HH. I have been practicing off sticks/tripod with my bolt action 22, 223 and the 375. I have been shooting 270 and 300 grain in the 375. I have some Barnes vor-TX 300 grain, Federal Hi Shok soft points and a box of Remington Swift a frame, PSP. I can get different ammo if these are not the best

I think I want to use the Barnes but what do you guys think?

I do have a question on the ammo for the 375HH. I have been practicing off sticks/tripod with my bolt action 22, 223 and the 375. I have been shooting 270 and 300 grain in the 375. I have some Barnes vor-TX 300 grain, Federal Hi Shok soft points and a box of Remington Swift a frame, PSP. I can get different ammo if these are not the best

I think I want to use the Barnes but what do you guys think?

I used the factory Barnes 300 TSX on a buffalo a bushbuck and a bushpig and it works fine. Lots have used the 300 Swift A-frame and it too worked fine. I’d suggest which ever is the most accurate as well as check with your PH and see if he has a preference. It’s nice to have a PH “buy in” to what you are using.

I've been shooting off sticks but will try them off the bench to verify accuracy. Thanks for the reply

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg