New member, planning a trip to Africa!!

Thanks for all the welcome's. I don't feel like I am going to be 65 and hope there are many more birthday's. I can ask my buddy but I feel like I am pestering him, as he is still working. What am I going to need for clothes? I see where the temperature ranges from 45 to 79 in June. 45 degrees in the morning would be nice but warming up that much is going to make it t-shirt/shorts by midday. Is that what I can expect? I am usually a heavy packer but don't want to take too many clothes. Any suggestions, thanks

Welcome aboard Marcopolo50. I live in Michigan as well. On an island south of Detroit between the U.S. and Canada. I'm 75, we went on our second Safari last July. If you love to hunt, your first trip will prove to be so much fun that you'll be talking about the next trip on the flight home. Take a look at the Forums, they contain answers to lots of questions that may be of interest to you. My biggest piece of advice for you is to start shooting off sticks. You will be expected to use them while in Africa. I'd advise using a 22 or 17 HMR to start off with, once you get comfortable, move up to a center fire rifle.
Hey Shootist43, I haven't been to Grosse Ille, but I know where you're at. I made a set of shooting sticks today and will be shooting tomorrow. Mine are only pvc but will get me in the game. Good idea to start with a 22. We got our flights booked today and the excitement has officially commenced!!

https://www.africahunting.com/threa...afaris-oh-a-buffalo-for-exercise.40050/page-5

This is what I normally take for trips between May and September. The only thing that changes is ammo depending on what I am hunting. I have also changed from a Camelbak daypack to a 5.11 Rush 12.
I don’t carry much in clothes because most outfitters wash clothes daily. One complete set in my carry-on daypack. One complete set with extra underwear in a carry-on size bag I check because it also contains my ammo box.
Here is a picture of my kit:
CC670236-4214-4F2B-A95F-7BD0D655DFF1.jpeg

https://www.africahunting.com/threa...afaris-oh-a-buffalo-for-exercise.40050/page-5

This is what I normally take for trips between May and September. The only thing that changes is ammo depending on what I am hunting. I have also changed from a Camelbak daypack to a 5.11 Rush 12.
I don’t carry much in clothes because most outfitters wash clothes daily. One complete set in my carry-on daypack. One complete set with extra underwear in a carry-on size bag I check because it also contains my ammo box.
Here is a picture of my kit:
View attachment 276659

Wow, that isn't much in clothing. Are those your camp shoes or hunting shoes, or both?

I wear my hunting boots going to ensure they are there and throw in a second pr for camp or change out of regular ones if they need to dry. Otherwise i pack 2sets of hunting gear one travel set I wear and good to fly same as ridgewalker
Other than that only other thing I pack are gifts treats for ph and family.
My wife finally joined me for last two trips and now wonders why she stayed behind the first 4. I plan on going again in 2020 not sure yet what for but maybe cull buff or ? hunt we will see what comes up next January or so.
Unless I build a bigger house or a dedicated trophy room I’m rapidly running out of room to hang anything else up. Living room full, family room full, floors covered with rugs but still have the itch lol
Welcome to our addictive hobby.
Boss say bedrooms off limits lol

Wow, that isn't much in clothing. Are those your camp shoes or hunting shoes, or both?

I wear my hunting shoes on the plane just in case my luggage gets lost. I take a pair of camp shoes in my checked bag.
My PHs have always told me they love the way I pack. They said most people over pack.

Marcopolo50 where do you practice?

Ha, I actually belong to three local gun clubs. One is good for the winter skeet league and sporting clays, one is good for 100 yard and has a good setup for bow practice, but the one I am using for most practice is near Swartz Creek. It's a semi private no frills range with a 200 yard bench. I am usually there by myself so using sticks and off bench isn't a problem.

Welcome to AH, planing your first Safari is half the fun.

Welcome Mark!!! Very excited for you!!!

Welcome Mark and best of luck on your adventure. You should be thrilled. Sounds like an awesome first safari!

Welcome to AH, Mark!

Welcome to AH. As you’ve found out, a lot of great info here.

Welcome

Welcome to AH and the posting side @Markopolo50! Have fun planning!
Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you.

Are those your camp shoes or hunting shoes, or both?
Oops, sorry I didn’t answer your question Markopolo50. Those are a pair of low cut Merrells I use for camp shoes.

Thanks Ridgewalker. I am not sure what type of hunting boots/shoes to get or take. Most of my hunting boots are made for cold weather and are 10-14" tall boots. Not something I need or want on safari. I have looked at Merrells but still not sure. Probably don't need a waterproof boot. I am thinking a hiking type boot with gaiters? Do I need two pair of hunting boots?

Thanks

Thanks Ridgewalker. I am not sure what type of hunting boots/shoes to get or take. Most of my hunting boots are made for cold weather and are 10-14" tall boots. Not something I need or want on safari. I have looked at Merrells but still not sure. Probably don't need a waterproof boot. I am thinking a hiking type boot with gaiters? Do I need two pair of hunting boots?

Thanks
I used a pair of Danner 6” upland noninsulated boots my first trip. They worked fine. Any kind of light hiking boots will work. Typically you will be standing in the bakkie (truck bed) most of the day until the game is spotted, then the stalk begins. Or you might drive to an area, walk until the game is spotted, then stalk. I don’t like hard vibram or tire tread type soles. They are noisy and they pick up gravel. A softer, smoother sole is better IMO, for stalking.
Currently I use a pair of Courtney’s. They are expensive, but they will probably last me the rest of my life. Mine have the tire tread sole and I really wish I had the quieter ripple sole.
A pair of desert duty boots would be an economical way if they fit you. Their tread is more open and doesn’t seem to pick up rocks as badly.
I wouldn’t take two pair of boots unless I was hunting in the marshes of Mozambique or similar. Your boots should dry out over night. Or skip the camp shoe and take an extra boot.
I only wear wool socks. I find them comfortable winter and summer. But an extra pair of socks to change into in the middle of the day can help prevent blisters. As will athletic tape on hot spots before the blister.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
v9bettel

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois