New Member, Need Advice on .375!

Michael Lynch

Reaction score
Greetings all. I have been planning an African Safari with my daughter for years and we are targeting 2025. My wish list will be Buff, Zebra, Wildebeest, Warthog, Hyena, Baboon. Hers is Hippo! Currently shopping for a .375 H&H (have been researching for months) and am partial to the CZ 550 Safari. Will not rule out Winchester 70 or Browning X-Bolt. Whichever .375 I decide I will break it in/familiarize over the next couple years on Georgia Whitetails and Hogs. I appreciate any and all advice you can provide on .375 selection. This rifle will also go on Alaska Bear hunt with me after I retire...

375 is a wonderful cartridge! My suggestion is either the CZ or M70. I believe the x-bolt is light for the caliber. You don't need a rifle that is too heavy either, but a bit of weight helps with that authoritative push it gives. My first 375 had a 22" barrel. My second had a 24" barrel (it's busy becoming a 400 H&H). I actually think I prefer the 24" so try both lengths! Good luck.

I agree with @Pheroze I much prefer the M70 or CZ over the x-bolt.

My 375 is an M70 classic with a 24” bbl. It is well balanced and the weight is about right for the caliber in my opinion.

I’d rule out the Browning. What’s your budget on a CZ or M70? $1500 or less, go Winchester. $2500 or less, get the CZ for 1000 and put 1500 into it.

.375 will do the trick. Look at the Winchester or CZ as others have said!

I would add the Ruger RSM in 375 H&H for you to consider. A used one can be had for around $1500.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/755186414

I would also suggest taking a look at the 375 Ruger. It will do anything the H&H will do and you can get one for about half the price of a H&H.

Attachments

• Screenshot (319).png
    Screenshot (319).png
    378.4 KB · Views: 170
Welcome to AH Michael!

Having owned both I'd lean towards the M70, It's a bit smoother out of the box and the 3 position safety is more desirable. a Safari Grade can bead in the 1200.00 range depending on where you shop
DSC00430.jpg

If you are planning to hunt in Alaska too, buy a sako kodiak

Welcome to AH !

My first .375 was a .375 H&H in a Rem 700 Classic, but before I ever shot it I sold it and bought a .375 RUM in a stainless Rem 700. It has a 26" barrel that I had a 2" KDF brake installed on it and I put it in a custom laminated stock that fits me. I took it on two hunts in Africa without any issues, and that's it in my avatar.

Yup avoid the Browning. If on a budget it is hard to beat the Winchester M70 for a nice classic look and feel in a gun that just works right out of the box.

With a CZ, first you have to get lucky that it feeds, well that's after you pay extra to get a barrel band swivel. But yes they are a great gun when they work. And the fit is different, so go try both on for size. To me fit trumps cost, at least by a little;)

As for an RSM, great guns! The 375 is a bit barrel heavy. IMO they are as close to perfect as you can get at the price in a 416 Rigby. Whereas a M70 is light in 416 rem mag but well balanced in 375.

Yes the Ruger Hawkeye's in 375 Ruger are a good low cost option. And the versions in laminated and ss should fare well in AK. I believe there are some M70 Alaskan models in 375 H&H with laminated sticks and stainless metal out there on the used market , if you can find one.

Moving up from there, yes a Sako Kodiak, or a Kimber Talkeetna for harsher climates.

Not to hijak this, but why is everyone opposed to the browning?

Greetings all. I have been planning an African Safari with my daughter for years and we are targeting 2025. My wish list will be Buff, Zebra, Wildebeest, Warthog, Hyena, Baboon. Hers is Hippo! Currently shopping for a .375 H&H (have been researching for months) and am partial to the CZ 550 Safari. Will not rule out Winchester 70 or Browning X-Bolt. Whichever .375 I decide I will break it in/familiarize over the next couple years on Georgia Whitetails and Hogs. I appreciate any and all advice you can provide on .375 selection. This rifle will also go on Alaska Bear hunt with me after I retire...

If you want a fast pointing snap shot rifle I’d suggest the Sako kodiak or Brown Bear.
These a lank yard stocked rifles but if you prefer a more traditional rifle try the hunter 85 in either stainless steel or conventional.
Beaut rifles to look at as well as use.

Well I hesitate to mention my Montana Rifles synthetic stocked stainless with cerakote because of all the issues people have had, but mine has been outstanding. I got it because I plan to return to AK once more to try for a brownie. Having hunted the coastal areas of AK 3 times now and seen what it does to blued wood stocked guns in just a few days, I decided on the stainless synthetic route.
Two trips to Kodiak using a friend’s Synthetic stocked Teflon coated stainless Sako convinced me.
I agree with Dr Ray that the Sako is a great gun, but my MRC shoots 1/2” groups with most of my handloads and worked fine on duiker to Cape buffalo. So I can’t complain.

CZ 550 in caliber 375 H&H, loaded with premium grade 300 or 350 grain bullets.

Welcome to AH! Enjoy the site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg