New Member, Need Advice on .375!

Michael Lynch

Reaction score
Greetings all. I have been planning an African Safari with my daughter for years and we are targeting 2025. My wish list will be Buff, Zebra, Wildebeest, Warthog, Hyena, Baboon. Hers is Hippo! Currently shopping for a .375 H&H (have been researching for months) and am partial to the CZ 550 Safari. Will not rule out Winchester 70 or Browning X-Bolt. Whichever .375 I decide I will break it in/familiarize over the next couple years on Georgia Whitetails and Hogs. I appreciate any and all advice you can provide on .375 selection. This rifle will also go on Alaska Bear hunt with me after I retire...

Pheroze

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
375 is a wonderful cartridge! My suggestion is either the CZ or M70. I believe the x-bolt is light for the caliber. You don't need a rifle that is too heavy either, but a bit of weight helps with that authoritative push it gives. My first 375 had a 22" barrel. My second had a 24" barrel (it's busy becoming a 400 H&H). I actually think I prefer the 24" so try both lengths! Good luck.

mdwest

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
DSC Life Member, NRA Life Member
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru
I agree with @Pheroze I much prefer the M70 or CZ over the x-bolt.

My 375 is an M70 classic with a 24” bbl. It is well balanced and the weight is about right for the caliber in my opinion.

flat8

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA
Hunted
USA, RSA
I’d rule out the Browning. What’s your budget on a CZ or M70? $1500 or less, go Winchester. $2500 or less, get the CZ for 1000 and put 1500 into it.

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia
.375 will do the trick. Look at the Winchester or CZ as others have said!

375 Ruger Fan

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY, Canada (Yukon)
I would add the Ruger RSM in 375 H&H for you to consider. A used one can be had for around $1500.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/755186414

I would also suggest taking a look at the 375 Ruger. It will do anything the H&H will do and you can get one for about half the price of a H&H.

Attachments

• Screenshot (319).png
    Screenshot (319).png
    378.4 KB · Views: 117

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england

Rob404

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, Member Minnesota Horse and Hunt,,Caribou Hunt Club
Hunted
Illinois,Wisconsin,Michigan Limpopo Province South Africa
Having owned both I'd lean towards the M70, It's a bit smoother out of the box and the 3 position safety is more desirable. a Safari Grade can bead in the 1200.00 range depending on where you shop
DSC00430.jpg

rafaellinne

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Tanzania, Zimbabwe
If you are planning to hunt in Alaska too, buy a sako kodiak

Nyati

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
Welcome to AH !

buffybr

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, RMEF, Life member NRA and Manhatten (Montana) Wildlife Association
Hunted
USA(CO,MT,WY,AK,TX), Canada(NWT,Saskatchewan,Quebec), Zimbabwe(Matetsi), RSA(Limpopo,KZN,Free State,Eastern Cape), New Zealand, Mozambique, Azerbaijan
My first .375 was a .375 H&H in a Rem 700 Classic, but before I ever shot it I sold it and bought a .375 RUM in a stainless Rem 700. It has a 26" barrel that I had a 2" KDF brake installed on it and I put it in a custom laminated stock that fits me. I took it on two hunts in Africa without any issues, and that's it in my avatar.

ActionBob

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
NRA life, DSC, SCI
Hunted
Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia, Austria
Yup avoid the Browning. If on a budget it is hard to beat the Winchester M70 for a nice classic look and feel in a gun that just works right out of the box.

With a CZ, first you have to get lucky that it feeds, well that's after you pay extra to get a barrel band swivel. But yes they are a great gun when they work. And the fit is different, so go try both on for size. To me fit trumps cost, at least by a little;)

As for an RSM, great guns! The 375 is a bit barrel heavy. IMO they are as close to perfect as you can get at the price in a 416 Rigby. Whereas a M70 is light in 416 rem mag but well balanced in 375.

Yes the Ruger Hawkeye's in 375 Ruger are a good low cost option. And the versions in laminated and ss should fare well in AK. I believe there are some M70 Alaskan models in 375 H&H with laminated sticks and stainless metal out there on the used market , if you can find one.

Moving up from there, yes a Sako Kodiak, or a Kimber Talkeetna for harsher climates.

Mike B

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
www.bazarsolutions.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
DSC - Lifetime Member, NRA
Hunted
South Africa, Argentina, US (TX, NM, SD)
Not to hijak this, but why is everyone opposed to the browning?

Dr Ray

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Greetings all. I have been planning an African Safari with my daughter for years and we are targeting 2025. My wish list will be Buff, Zebra, Wildebeest, Warthog, Hyena, Baboon. Hers is Hippo! Currently shopping for a .375 H&H (have been researching for months) and am partial to the CZ 550 Safari. Will not rule out Winchester 70 or Browning X-Bolt. Whichever .375 I decide I will break it in/familiarize over the next couple years on Georgia Whitetails and Hogs. I appreciate any and all advice you can provide on .375 selection. This rifle will also go on Alaska Bear hunt with me after I retire...

If you want a fast pointing snap shot rifle I’d suggest the Sako kodiak or Brown Bear.
These a lank yard stocked rifles but if you prefer a more traditional rifle try the hunter 85 in either stainless steel or conventional.
Beaut rifles to look at as well as use.

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
Well I hesitate to mention my Montana Rifles synthetic stocked stainless with cerakote because of all the issues people have had, but mine has been outstanding. I got it because I plan to return to AK once more to try for a brownie. Having hunted the coastal areas of AK 3 times now and seen what it does to blued wood stocked guns in just a few days, I decided on the stainless synthetic route.
Two trips to Kodiak using a friend’s Synthetic stocked Teflon coated stainless Sako convinced me.
I agree with Dr Ray that the Sako is a great gun, but my MRC shoots 1/2” groups with most of my handloads and worked fine on duiker to Cape buffalo. So I can’t complain.

IvW

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
CZ 550 in caliber 375 H&H, loaded with premium grade 300 or 350 grain bullets.

Bobpuckett

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
Hunted
USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
Welcome to AH! Enjoy the site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlannaCapl

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J