New member from western Montana

Welcome to AH!

welcome in the best forum.

Welcome to our forum mtflyfisher. You will love it here.

Greetings from the western edge of Montana. I am a Air Force veteran (32+ years), avid hunter, fly fisherman, equestrian, traditional archer, hand loader and bullet caster. I am a fan of classic rifle calibers, blued steel and walnut, big bore rifles and handguns.

I recently stepped outside my “box” by jumping on a very good deal on a very lightly used Ruger African in 416. There were 5 fired rounds of a box of 20 Hornady soft points, Redding dies, and 100 new brass. I’m looking forward to working up loads and hunting with my new acquisition. I’ve been lurking here for a while and hope to become a contributing member of this new (to me) community.

Hello Mtflyfisher,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the best forum on earth.

Also, I totally understand your fly fishing thing.
I spent most of my money on proper Mausers and English fly tackle, the rest I just wasted.

Cheers,
Paul.

Welcome! I’m about to do some antelope hunting over by Livingston.

what do you plan to chase with the .416?
Sorry for the delayed response. The Air Force decided to put me on orders for a few weeks. About the 416. I’m hoping to get an elk with it. Been shooting it a fair amount and like how it’s handling and shooting.

Hello Mtflyfisher,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the best forum on earth.

Also, I totally understand your fly fishing thing.
I spent most of my money on proper Mausers and English fly tackle, the rest I just wasted.

Cheers,
Paul.
Thank you!

If it's a Ruger African, it's a .416 Ruger.
Sierraone is right and I’m slow in replying. The Air Force has had me busy. It’s the 416 Ruger. Really enjoying getting to know this one. It’s a shooter and I’m hoping I get to use it on an elk over the next few weeks.

Welcome to AH.
Good luck on your elk hunt.
Looking forward to reading your hunt report with photos, please.

Welcome to AH.
Good luck on your elk hunt.
Looking forward to reading your hunt report with photos, please.
Thanks! I’ll make sure to do that. I’m blessed as my home is 1 mile from the national forest trailhead that I hike to get to them. It helps when you can see them year round and learn their seasonal habits.

welcome in the best forum.
Thank you. After lurking for a while I drew the same conclusion, best forum out there. I’m looking forward to being an active community member.

Welcome to AH John! Nice to have you as part of our community. Enjoy the site!

Welcome to AH John! Glad you found us and joined our community.

Welcome aboard from a semi- close Idaho neighbor!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg