New member from Sweden

Hi all, been reading this forum on and off for a few years, but thought it might be time to join so that I could take an active part in discussions.
Have been hunting for 15 or so years, but not very actively so - about 5-7 days per year. Mostly in my home country, apart from one trip abroad (Mauritius - which is technically Africa) which happened to include a hunting day with borrowed gear, so not a real safari trip by any means :)
Hope to take part in discussions and gain some insights into my newest rifle/caliber - the 404Jeffery, which I hope to take to Africa for a proper safari hunt.
/cmk
cmk
Welcome to this great Forum and hunting family.
Enjoy gathering information to prepare you for selecting your next safari to destination to Africa...

cmk, I just took a look at a Powder Burn Rate Chart to "compare" Norma's powders to H4350. The MRP 2 is considerably slower but N205 appears on the same line. That leads me to think that you may have better luck duplicating H4350 results using the N205. You cannot use powders with similar burning rates interchangeably, but their similar burning characteristics can point you in the right direction.

Shootist, MRP-2 is the 'official' powder (the only one) listed by Norma for the 404J. So it is a fairly slow-burning magnum powder, as the suggested charge weight is 96.4grains. However, I don't think that it is being manufactured anymore, and that Norma 217 is their replacement. You can still find it at some dealers, and I managed to buy a few years supply of same batch from the guy who sold me the 404-barrel.

Norma 205... that I have not heard of before - perhaps a typo, or that some powder may have been renamed for the US market. Looking at this burn rate chart - https://www.norma.cc/en/Ammunition-Academy/om-handladdning/brinntider-for-krut/ (for 308 win, though) I found that Norma204 is quite close to H4350, so maybe that is one way to go.

Of other interest may be that the company that produce all of Normas powders (Eurenco Bofors), also sell the same product to other merchants who put their own label on it. The source of this information is a book written by one of the engineers who worked at Bofors for decades. It came out some years ago, so I don't have the latest details for any newer powders.

Please note that the powders may not be identical, even though they are made in the same production line, as there are lot-to-lot variations, and a particular buyer may have more stringent testing requirements before putting their label on the box. So use common sense in load development when substituting Norma203B for Reloder-15. They are made according to the same specs and process, but there will be small variations, just like the baker not getting all loaves identical :)

Bofors_Product___Norma_Name__Rottweil_Name____Alliant_Name
Bofors RP1.......Norma 200...Rottweil R901................
Bofors RP12...................................Reloder 10X.
Bofors RP2.......Norma 201...Rottweil R902................
Bofors RP7...................Rottweil R907................
Bofors RP202.....Norma 202................................
Bofors RP11......Norma 203B...................Reloder 15..
Bofors RP3...................Rottweil R903................
Bofors RP19......Norma URP................................
Bofors RP4.......Norma 204...Rottweil R904................
Bofors RP14...................................Reloder 19..
Bofors RP5...................Rottweil R905................
Bofors RP15......Norma MRP....................Reloder 22..
Bofors RP25...................................Reloder 25..
Bofors RP30......Norma MRP2...............................

/cmk

Edit: fixing the indentation with dots.

CMK, you were correct I must have fat fingered a key Norma N204 is the powder I saw that is relatively close to the H4350. Sorry I sent you on a"wild goose chase" i.e. miss-led you. Since N204 is available to you, that is where I would start my load development if I were you. If you have access to a chronograph the velocity you should be looking for is 2,300 FPS or 701.04 m/s if my conversion factor is correct. That velocity yields excellent accuracy for many 404 Jeffery owners using 400 Gr. bullets.

Thanks for that tip. However, I believe that I'll start with the published Norma load, as I have all the required components to follow it completely. I prefer to do so when starting to load for a new caliber a/o rifle, i.e. trying to duplicate the factory ammo.

When I have warmed up a bit, I may start wandering into slightly less known territory, e.g. the Reloder-15 based recipes, as that can (with due caution) be substituted with N203B

CMK, I just looked up Norma Powders for 2018 and followed that up with a search for the 404 Jeffery. Just as you said the powder they recommended is MRP 2 at 96.4 Grains. That certainly is your starting point. There is a load testing procedure called a "Ladder Test" where in you alter the powder charge very slightly plus and minus to see what the effects are on group size and point of impact. You may want to check that out. Good Luck, here again, living in the States where we have access to lots of different powers is a blessing for reloaders. Let us know how you make out.

Thanks Shootist. I've been reloading for a little while, and do so for my other calibres, and I've spent a some range time with ladders.. :)

A problem right now is that I think the ranges near me are closed for the winter, so any serious load testing will have to wait until April... bleh

Welcome to AH!

It is rather cold where I live as well. There are generally a few days during the winter when it gets up into the thirties F. and the ranges open. I need to zero the scope I'm putting on my 404 Jeffery.

welcome to AH!

Welcome to the best forum cmk! Enjoy!

Welcome to AH! Hope to see you in Africa soon

Welcome to AH!!

Welcome aboard

Hi all, been reading this forum on and off for a few years, but thought it might be time to join so that I could take an active part in discussions.

Have been hunting for 15 or so years, but not very actively so - about 5-7 days per year. Mostly in my home country, apart from one trip abroad (Mauritius - which is technically Africa) which happened to include a hunting day with borrowed gear, so not a real safari trip by any means :)

Hope to take part in discussions and gain some insights into my newest rifle/caliber - the 404Jeffery, which I hope to take to Africa for a proper safari hunt.

/cmk
Welcome cmk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg