New Member from Idaho but living in Western Montana

Welcome, glad you to have you as a member on AH!!

Welcome to AH. I hope to be steelhead fishing next month in your home area on the SF Clearwater. This is a great place to learn about all things relating to African hunting. Looking forward to your hunt report.
Bruce

Congratulations on the baby girl! Great site here for all things Africa. Welcome from Libby.

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Montanan, I've learned more here from the members than I could have ever imagined.

Welcome to AH and congratulations on the new daughter.

I’m a new member here, but I have been lurking for more than a few months. I’ve been following posts from a few members here because I am an absolute gun nut and there are some extremely knowledgeable and talented members who are doing some really cool things.

I finally decided to pull the trigger, so to speak, because I recently bought a safari to South Africa and I wanted to learn more about hunting in Africa. My first guided hunt was last year, for bison in South Dakota. I realized that I had less than a snowball’s chance in hell of ever drawing a bison tag, so my only option was to purchase a guided hunt. I had a great hunt that positively influenced my views on guided hunts.

I am from a place that most people, except one or two members on this forum, have never heard of; a small (very small, as in less than 150 people) town on the Nez Perce Rez. Through a serious of choices, I managed to end up in Western Montana. When I say “Idaho”, I mean Valley County and everywhere north thereof. Anything south of Valley County is just Northern Utah. A judge where I used to practice referred to my home territory as “fightin’ country”. A colleague of mine calls it “the drainage ditch”. Anyway, I married a Western Montanan and she wanted to move home.

Shameless plug: I am reading Sue Tidwell’s book and I am thoroughly enjoying it. About 2 days ago, I recommended the book to my mom (who also still lives in Idaho). My mom came over to visit so she could be here for the birth of my first child (a girl, BTW!). By the time my mom arrived, she had already finished Sue’s book (showoff) and couldn’t say enough good things about it. My mom is by no means an anti-hunter, but she has many friends who are, including many who are in her book club and she managed to persuade them to read Sue’s book.

Anyway, thanks for letting me join. I look forward to learning. By the way, if anyone wants to know about hunting in Idaho, drop me a line.
@Sue Tidwell great call out here on an outstanding book!!! I enjoyed it so very much and highly recommend it to all!!!

Welcome to AH !!

Thank you, Velo Dog. You wouldn't happen to have chosen your AH name based on the velo dog pistol, would you?

Also, Namibia is on my list. My hunting partner (who refuses to go to Africa for whatever dumb reason(s)) and his wife are friends with a gal from Namibia. I am sure I annoyed her with all of my questions whenever we were all over for dinner.

Hi again WillMFerguson,

Yes, the “Velocipede Anti-Dog” Revolver.

Since Namibia is in your list, do have a look at the Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris web site when you have a little spare time.

Likewise, beginning on May 8, 202, I submitted a series of posts on mine and my wife’s most recent safari to Khomas / Namibia.
It can be found under the title of:
The Old Dog Hunts Again .

Furthermore, I had posted a previous hunt report, describing my first time with Khomas, back in October 2017.

Last but not least, there are several other forum members here who have posted hunt reports as well.

Even if you end up booking with some other safari company, let me know any time you have questions.
I will be glad to help you sort things out.
(Always happy to chit chat about Africa related things).

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

@Sue Tidwell great call out here on an outstanding book!!! I enjoyed it so very much and highly recommend it to all!!!
Wow, this is abolutely awesome! Thank for tagging me @Rare Breed . Somehow I missed this post. I still get excited every single time I learn that people love the book...and even more excited when I hear they recommend it to others, especially those who might not normally read such a book and may be opposed to hunting. YAY!!!!

I’m a new member here, but I have been lurking for more than a few months. I’ve been following posts from a few members here because I am an absolute gun nut and there are some extremely knowledgeable and talented members who are doing some really cool things.

I finally decided to pull the trigger, so to speak, because I recently bought a safari to South Africa and I wanted to learn more about hunting in Africa. My first guided hunt was last year, for bison in South Dakota. I realized that I had less than a snowball’s chance in hell of ever drawing a bison tag, so my only option was to purchase a guided hunt. I had a great hunt that positively influenced my views on guided hunts.

I am from a place that most people, except one or two members on this forum, have never heard of; a small (very small, as in less than 150 people) town on the Nez Perce Rez. Through a serious of choices, I managed to end up in Western Montana. When I say “Idaho”, I mean Valley County and everywhere north thereof. Anything south of Valley County is just Northern Utah. A judge where I used to practice referred to my home territory as “fightin’ country”. A colleague of mine calls it “the drainage ditch”. Anyway, I married a Western Montanan and she wanted to move home.

Shameless plug: I am reading Sue Tidwell’s book and I am thoroughly enjoying it. About 2 days ago, I recommended the book to my mom (who also still lives in Idaho). My mom came over to visit so she could be here for the birth of my first child (a girl, BTW!). By the time my mom arrived, she had already finished Sue’s book (showoff) and couldn’t say enough good things about it. My mom is by no means an anti-hunter, but she has many friends who are, including many who are in her book club and she managed to persuade them to read Sue’s book.

Anyway, thanks for letting me join. I look forward to learning. By the way, if anyone wants to know about hunting in Idaho, drop me a line.
Oh my gosh @WillMFerguson, you absolutely made my morning! I am thrilled that you are enjoying Cries of the Savanna ....and even more thrilled that you Mom enjoyed it enough to persuade her book club members to read it. YAY! It is hard to get it into the hands of non-hunters....That is why it is so important when people recommend it like this!

Oh yeah, and welcome to the forum!!! You will love it here. I have only been here a few months but have already learned a lot...and have received such wonderful support.

On a side note, if you don't mind me asking. Which little town did you live in? Were you near Craigmont or Lapwai? I'm not sure if you know this or not but I live in Cottonwood. We are ....or were before you moved...practically neighbors. Also, how do you learn about the book? It is always interesting and informative to know....for future reference.

Anyway, nice to meet you! Enjoy AH!

Hi again WillMFerguson,

Yes, the “Velocipede Anti-Dog” Revolver.

Since Namibia is in your list, do have a look at the Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris web site when you have a little spare time.

Likewise, beginning on May 8, 202, I submitted a series of posts on mine and my wife’s most recent safari to Khomas / Namibia.
It can be found under the title of:
The Old Dog Hunts Again .

Furthermore, I had posted a previous hunt report, describing my first time with Khomas, back in October 2017.

Last but not least, there are several other forum members here who have posted hunt reports as well.

Even if you end up booking with some other safari company, let me know any time you have questions.
I will be glad to help you sort things out.
(Always happy to chit chat about Africa related things).

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.
Very cool. I have my great, great grandfather's velo dog. He carried it as his backup backup gun as the Police Commissioner of Detroit, back in the early 1900's. I will definitely look at Khomas Safaris. Thank you!

Oh my gosh @WillMFerguson, you absolutely made my morning! I am thrilled that you are enjoying Cries of the Savanna ....and even more thrilled that you Mom enjoyed it enough to persuade her book club members to read it. YAY! It is hard to get it into the hands of non-hunters....That is why it is so important when people recommend it like this!

Oh yeah, and welcome to the forum!!! You will love it here. I have only been here a few months but have already learned a lot...and have received such wonderful support.

On a side note, if you don't mind me asking. Which little town did you live in? Were you near Craigmont or Lapwai? I'm not sure if you know this or not but I live in Cottonwood. We are ....or were before you moved...practically neighbors. Also, how do you learn about the book? It is always interesting and informative to know....for future reference.

Anyway, nice to meet you! Enjoy AH!
Hi Sue! I grew up in Ahsahka. When I was a kid, we bought some of our quarterhorses from up in Cottonwood. In fact, my mare was out of the same stud out of Cottonwood, as my dad's mare. The partner I succeeded at my first firm was a guy by the name of Wes Nuxoll; he was from the Greencreek area. I would bet your husband knows his family. I used to hang out with some of the folks in Nez Perce (or, as we called it, "Nay Pay"). I even dated a gal from Craigmont for a bit. Ok, I'll quit while I'm ahead lol

BTW, your friends Rod and Sue wouldn't happen to be from a certain small town in Stevens County, WA, would they?

I'll send you a report from the book club after they get together and discuss. Thank you for the welcome!

Hi Sue! I grew up in Ahsahka. When I was a kid, we bought some of our quarterhorses from up in Cottonwood. In fact, my mare was out of the same stud out of Cottonwood, as my dad's mare. The partner I succeeded at my first firm was a guy by the name of Wes Nuxoll; he was from the Greencreek area. I would bet your husband knows his family. I used to hang out with some of the folks in Nez Perce (or, as we called it, "Nay Pay"). I even dated a gal from Craigmont for a bit. Ok, I'll quit while I'm ahead lol

BTW, your friends Rod and Sue wouldn't happen to be from a certain small town in Stevens County, WA, would they?

I'll send you a report from the book club after they get together and discuss. Thank you for the welcome!
Oh my gosh @WillMFerguson, what a small world. You very well may have bought your mare from my husband's family. (Rick's Mom is Betty Campbell and his grandparents were Verl and Alice Chicane) They have good foundation stock quarter horses and used to have studs, selling colts every year. They no longer have studs however. They still sell a few colts now and then...and still have plenty of horses! Rick's sister Bobbi's family have like 25 or more. There are always horses in training, trained, and of course retired for each member of the family. I'm sure you know the drill.
AND, I don't know the name of the county where Rod and Sue live but it is Colville Washington...so it very well may be Stevens County.
I'm sure Rick does know Wes Nuxoll or the family. I recognize the Nuxoll name and know some of them.
Also, I think I read that you are considering traveling to Namibia. Rick and I went there last year if you have any questions about it.
LASTLY, YES, I would love a report back from your Mom's book club members. It will be wonderful to get their feedback. Thanks so much. Chat soon!

I have spent a huge number of hours/days steelhead fishing on this Ahsahka bridge and at the dam. Been there virtually every year for 35 yrs now. Usually fishing in/around Ahsahka in Feb……..
2E96697C-E134-4CAE-8837-63D785A63FD1.jpeg
B970654F-D1F5-41ED-926E-EFF14AACA3DD.jpeg

Welcome! I grew up in Missoula and learned to hunt in western Montana. Texas is home now, but I (like most here) have Africa in the blood.

Oh my gosh @WillMFerguson, what a small world. You very well may have bought your mare from my husband's family. (Rick's Mom is Betty Campbell and his grandparents were Verl and Alice Chicane) They have good foundation stock quarter horses and used to have studs, selling colts every year. They no longer have studs however. They still sell a few colts now and then...and still have plenty of horses! Rick's sister Bobbi's family have like 25 or more. There are always horses in training, trained, and of course retired for each member of the family. I'm sure you know the drill.
AND, I don't know the name of the county where Rod and Sue live but it is Colville Washington...so it very well may be Stevens County.
I'm sure Rick does know Wes Nuxoll or the family. I recognize the Nuxoll name and know some of them.
Also, I think I read that you are considering traveling to Namibia. Rick and I went there last year if you have any questions about it.
LASTLY, YES, I would love a report back from your Mom's book club members. It will be wonderful to get their feedback. Thanks so much. Chat soon!
Holy cow! Yup, we bought my dad's mare from the Campbells and bred a thoroughbred mare to their same stud. The stud horse they had was "Bill's Four Aces." We liked him because of his Snipper Reed breeding. They also had a palomino stud years later that we bred to one of our quarterhorses. That foal ended up being an absolutely bomb-proof gelding.

Talk about a small world. I did some work for Rod last year. I still do contract work for the County, so I was up there to drop off reloading components, 2 weeks ago, while I was in town. I hope Rod is feeling better. He was supposed to go to Mexico for Coues Deer last month with a client of mine, but got sick and couldn't go.

I'll definitely get ahold of you guys when I decide to go to Namibia. It's not a matter of "if", it's when.

I have spent a huge number of hours/days steelhead fishing on this Ahsahka bridge and at the dam. Been there virtually every year for 35 yrs now. Usually fishing in/around Ahsahka in Feb…….. View attachment 514964View attachment 514965
Nice fish! We used to stop by the Woodlot every now and then and have a burger. I'm not sure how good the place is anymore though....if it's still open. If it is still open and you go to there and see an ornery old guy with thick glasses and a long, Amish-looking beard, sitting at the bar, that'd be Bob Smeltz and you can tell him the Fergusons from up on the hill said "hi". He's an interesting cat; I think part of him is still in Vietnam, if you know what I mean.

Also, if you drive down the Lochsa in the spring and see a lifted dark blue Tundra, with county 13 MT plates, parked by the historic ranger station, leave a note. I'll be up there bear baiting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg