New Member from Idaho but living in Western Montana

WillMFerguson

AH veteran
Reaction score
I’m a new member here, but I have been lurking for more than a few months. I’ve been following posts from a few members here because I am an absolute gun nut and there are some extremely knowledgeable and talented members who are doing some really cool things.

I finally decided to pull the trigger, so to speak, because I recently bought a safari to South Africa and I wanted to learn more about hunting in Africa. My first guided hunt was last year, for bison in South Dakota. I realized that I had less than a snowball’s chance in hell of ever drawing a bison tag, so my only option was to purchase a guided hunt. I had a great hunt that positively influenced my views on guided hunts.

I am from a place that most people, except one or two members on this forum, have never heard of; a small (very small, as in less than 150 people) town on the Nez Perce Rez. Through a serious of choices, I managed to end up in Western Montana. When I say “Idaho”, I mean Valley County and everywhere north thereof. Anything south of Valley County is just Northern Utah. A judge where I used to practice referred to my home territory as “fightin’ country”. A colleague of mine calls it “the drainage ditch”. Anyway, I married a Western Montanan and she wanted to move home.

Shameless plug: I am reading Sue Tidwell’s book and I am thoroughly enjoying it. About 2 days ago, I recommended the book to my mom (who also still lives in Idaho). My mom came over to visit so she could be here for the birth of my first child (a girl, BTW!). By the time my mom arrived, she had already finished Sue’s book (showoff) and couldn’t say enough good things about it. My mom is by no means an anti-hunter, but she has many friends who are, including many who are in her book club and she managed to persuade them to read Sue’s book.

Anyway, thanks for letting me join. I look forward to learning. By the way, if anyone wants to know about hunting in Idaho, drop me a line.

I’m a new member here, but I have been lurking for more than a few months. I’ve been following posts from a few members here because I am an absolute gun nut and there are some extremely knowledgeable and talented members who are doing some really cool things.

I finally decided to pull the trigger, so to speak, because I recently bought a safari to South Africa and I wanted to learn more about hunting in Africa. My first guided hunt was last year, for bison in South Dakota. I realized that I had less than a snowball’s chance in hell of ever drawing a bison tag, so my only option was to purchase a guided hunt. I had a great hunt that positively influenced my views on guided hunts.

I am from a place that most people, except one or two members on this forum, have never heard of; a small (very small, as in less than 150 people) town on the Nez Perce Rez. Through a serious of choices, I managed to end up in Western Montana. When I say “Idaho”, I mean Valley County and everywhere north thereof. Anything south of Valley County is just Northern Utah. A judge where I used to practice referred to my home territory as “fightin’ country”. A colleague of mine calls it “the drainage ditch”. Anyway, I married a Western Montanan and she wanted to move home.

Shameless plug: I am reading Sue Tidwell’s book and I am thoroughly enjoying it. About 2 days ago, I recommended the book to my mom (who also still lives in Idaho). My mom came over to visit so she could be here for the birth of my first child (a girl, BTW!). By the time my mom arrived, she had already finished Sue’s book (showoff) and couldn’t say enough good things about it. My mom is by no means an anti-hunter, but she has many friends who are, including many who are in her book club and she managed to persuade them to read Sue’s book.

Anyway, thanks for letting me join. I look forward to learning. By the way, if anyone wants to know about hunting in Idaho, drop me a line.
Welcome to AH!!
Feel free to fire away with questions, while we might differ in opinion here and there everyone on here’s heart is in the right place and willing to assist where possible!
My best, as always.
Jaco

:S Welcome:

Welcome to AH.
You have certainly noticed the depth of the resource.

Welcome to AH WillMFerguson!

Welcome to AH! I dream everyday of returning to southern Idaho (Pocatello) in spite of being northern Utah. The fish there call to me every spring.

Welcome to AH Will, I look forward to hearing about your preparations for Africa. What rifle will you hunt with?

Welcome from another Idahoan

Giday Will and welcome to the A H forums.

Hello WillMFerguson,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome and congratulations. This site and the people are a tremendous resource for hunting in Africa. Really helped my wife and I decide on our first, hopefully not last, safari.

Welcome to AH!!
Feel free to fire away with questions, while we might differ in opinion here and there everyone on here’s heart is in the right place and willing to assist where possible!
My best, as always.
Jaco
Thank you very much! You'll be the first person I get ahold of when it comes time to hunt Black Death. In my lurking, I read Scanos' report about his hunt with you in Mozambique. Now THAT is a hunt!

Welcome to AH Will, I look forward to hearing about your preparations for Africa. What rifle will you hunt with?
Hey Kevin, weeelllllll that's a tough question. I've met very few firearms I didn't like, but I am an unashamed Sako fanboy. I bought a Sako in .375 H&H, but it's RH, which isn't a big deal. I didn't get to hunt with a LH rifle until I was 17, so I'm proficient with RH & LH. I also bought a .375 Ruger and a Mauser 3000L in .375 H&H. But then I saw someone's (maybe Von Gruff?) post about the rising block doubles coming from Bailey Bradshaw. Suffice it to say, it's going to be tough. I heard that Sako won't be importing many more of certain versions of its 85, which means I need to hurry up and get my import/export license.

Thank you very much! You'll be the first person I get ahold of when it comes time to hunt Black Death. In my lurking, I read Scanos' report about his hunt with you in Mozambique. Now THAT is a hunt!
:D David is a great guy! A gentleman I call my friend, we will be hunting double buff again this year in the Niassa special reserve and I very much look forward to sharing a great experience with him once again!!
Thanks for the compliment and look forward to share many African conversations with you.

Maybe, who knows there will be a campfire in our future…
My very best Always!

Hello WillMFerguson,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.
Thank you, Velo Dog. You wouldn't happen to have chosen your AH name based on the velo dog pistol, would you?

Also, Namibia is on my list. My hunting partner (who refuses to go to Africa for whatever dumb reason(s)) and his wife are friends with a gal from Namibia. I am sure I annoyed her with all of my questions whenever we were all over for dinner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg