New mannlicher stock for JC Higgins

CJW

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
I just received this from @AZDAVE today. I figured I would take a chance on it fitting. It's a late 50's JC Higgins 30-06 that came with an ugly factory stock that I tried and failed to beautify. Then it developed a crack so I bought a Boyd's laminate to put on it for Africa.

It isn't perfect but I'll work out the kinks. It needs the bolt slot relieved, a recoil pad and a piece of metal added down the wrist behind the trigger. The factory guard had an extra length down the wrist. I only had to remove a small piece of wood inside for the commercial trigger.

20211009_164734.jpg

Maybe I'll try for a better picture tomorrow. My phone camera is awful.

Looks great, one day I'll build a 98 with a mannlicher stock maybe a 6.5 something.

Reactions: CJW
There is an elegance to the Mannlicher stock and that one look to have some nice broken fiddlback to add to the finesse

Looks great, one day I'll build a 98 with a mannlicher stock maybe a 6.5 something.
Just a minor 'peeve', but it's properly referred to as a full stock or 'stutzen' (if carbine length and full stocked), not a 'Mannlicher stock'.

I do understand that the full stock has become associated with Mannlichers over time but not all Mannlichers, or even Mannlicher Schoenauers, came with full stocks and a full stock does not a Mannlicher make.

As you may already know, Mauser has offered very fine rifles of their own in stutzen configuration with the M98 type action over the years; here is a listing from the 1939 Stoeger catalog:

Mauser 39 Stoeger Stutzen 615.jpg

Just a minor 'peeve', but it's properly referred to as a full stock or 'stutzen' (if carbine length and full stocked), not a 'Mannlicher stock'.

I do understand that the full stock has become associated with Mannlichers over time but not all Mannlichers, or even Mannlicher Schoenauers, came with full stocks and a full stock does not a Mannlicher make.

As you may already know, Mauser has offered very fine rifles of their own in stutzen configuration with the M98 type action over the years; here is a listing from the 1939 Stoeger catalog:

View attachment 430830
Unfortunately when you say full stock half of the people don't know what you are talking about.

Unfortunately when you say full stock half of the people don't know what you are talking about.
Sad, but true for most in the U.S. unless familiar with black powder rifles or late 19th and early 20th Century European military and sporting arms.

MS ST39  319 Peerless Stocks.jpg

From 1939 Stoeger Catalog

Last edited:
I just received this from @AZDAVE today. I figured I would take a chance on it fitting. It's a late 50's JC Higgins 30-06 that came with an ugly factory stock that I tried and failed to beautify. Then it developed a crack so I bought a Boyd's laminate to put on it for Africa.

It isn't perfect but I'll work out the kinks. It needs the bolt slot relieved, a recoil pad and a piece of metal added down the wrist behind the trigger. The factory guard had an extra length down the wrist. I only had to remove a small piece of wood inside for the commercial trigger.

View attachment 429610
How long is the barrel? I like the look.

Looks great! I'm assuming that started as a J.C. Higgins model 50 or 51. If you haven't already done it, it's a good idea to change out the stock trigger; a Timney works pretty good.

Best regards,

Very handsome timber!

Looks great! I'm assuming that started as a J.C. Higgins model 50 or 51. If you haven't already done it, it's a good idea to change out the stock trigger; a Timney works pretty good.

Best regards,

Thanks.

Yup, model 50. A new trigger is in it's future. This one is okay for now but it needs to be improved.

I had a Model 50 years ago and stupidly sold it to fund something I don't remember. A few years ago I picked up Model 51 in '06, same great barreled action but a nicer stock, with checkering and a cheekpiece. Both shoot/shot lights out.

One of the issues with the stock trigger (besides not being very good) is that it's pinned to the trigger guard and if the bottom iron loosens a bit for some reason you can lose trigger/sear connection.

Yours really turned out great!

Best regards,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg