New Luggage Restrictions ORT Johannesburg

It sounds like if they don't like the looks of your bag, the option is to get it wrapped in plastic.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/sunday-...-new-baggage-rules-at-or-tambo-international/

OR Tambo International Airport implemented new bag rules on Monday, aimed at preventing blockages and breakdowns in its baggage handling system.

The airport's Samukelo Khambule said that round bags without a flat surface were the largest "source of jams" in the system.

"These jams can shut down sections of the baggage handling system, delay baggage delivery to aircraft and inconvenience passengers and airlines," Khambule said.

The new bag rule had been considered since early 2018.

Terminal 1 at Dubai International Airport recently instituted the same kind of baggage rules.

Khambule said a final decision was taken after extensive consultations with the Airline Operators Committee (AOC) and other bodies representing airlines.

The new baggage rules state that:

• Only regular-shaped bags will be allowed at check-in counters.

• This means bags must have at least one flat surface to be accepted on the check-in system.

• Round or irregular-shaped bags will not be allowed at check-in counters; and

• Bags with longs straps will not be allowed at check-in counters.

Khambule said passengers who failed to comply with the new rules would be offered the option of having their bags wrapped with one flat side at the airport.

And in their defense, I live in Alaska and I have seen some insane things used as luggage coming from intrastate flights that I'm actually amazed haven't cause jams. Blobs and duct taped boxes... If this smooths the system out perhaps now (I'm feeling optimistic) luggage has a reasonable chance of survival and getting to connecting flights on time.

Thankfully, my duffel bag has a flat side for back packing.

or we can all switch over.View attachment 275458

@BRICKBURN , Wayne.......I see one major drawback to getting luggage like this. According to one of my daughters, you'd have to also get matching hunting boots. I'm not going there!

upload_2019-3-27_17-18-7.png

And in their defense, I live in Alaska and I have seen some insane things used as luggage coming from intrastate flights that I'm actually amazed haven't cause jams. Blobs and duct taped boxes... If this smooths the system out perhaps now (I'm feeling optimistic) luggage has a reasonable chance of survival and getting to connecting flights on time.
I guess I should appologise in advance .....this is my luggage back to Africa today ..... They are flat on all sides .... for easier handling
20190327_164527.jpeg

Young and dumb, forty two years ago, my wife took a sewing machine on a Braniff 707 as carry on baggage. What were we thinking? :E Crazy:

What’s the best route to Namibia without going through OR Tambo? RSA doesn’t seem to like the date on my 4457 or my luggage.
Best route is Qatar through Doha. Reasonable price but long layover in Doha. I seriously considered this option for my May trip. The length of travel was a bit much for my group. If you want Business Class this is more economical than Delta.
We are catching the late flight JNB to WDH so no SAPS form but only have 2.5 hour layover. It is a little tricky and we know we have a possibility of getting stuck at JNB but worth a little risk to get to WDH faster.
Yea the 4457 must have current year stamped on it.

I leave in about 60 days. So as I read this the hard bottom soft sided duffle roller bag i used last year may not be allowed? Am i reading this correctly?
Guess I will go to Walmart and get some hard sided bags.
Technically the hard bottom qualifies but your call.

I emailed the airport authority at Tambo and have not received a response. Would anyone know if not TuffPak Case would be affected?
View attachment 275874
It should not be affected. This seems to be directed at traditional duffel bags that are round and bags that have straps. Round bags can just roll off or go round and round plus you can imagine how straps get caught in just about any machine.

Does anyone know if this applies to rifle cases, such as the Pelicans, as well?

I sent Delta an email about this concerning hard bottom roller duffle bags. Their reply was they are accepted still. As long as no long straps and one hard flat surface so the bag lays flat.

Remember this new requirement is for ORT in Johannesburg South Africa. I doubt that it would have anything do do with flights into the country but getting out either on a connecting flight or back home it will.

FYI,

In regard to duffel bags: The top bag is acceptable, the bottom example is not...

flat duffel.jpg
round duffel.jpg

Anyone have any all hardside luggage ideas that would be acceptable?

Now what about the straps on the top bag (actually on both)? Are they an issue?

Any loose straps like the shoulder strap on the bottom bag would have to be removed or tightly secured. I have the top duffel and I use plastic tie-wraps on the handle straps to keep them taught and together during the trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfieWorma

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber