New Life for an Older 458 B&M..............

michael458

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Back in the middle of April my Accountant informed me he was headed to Africa for buffalo July 1. He also decided he wanted to take me up on a long time offer of using one of my rifles, namely a 458 B&M. Of course I said yes.

He brought out a rifle he had purchased a couple of years ago, a Weatherby that had been converted to 458 Lott, and 3 boxes of crap Hornady ammo. Rifle topped with a 1.5X5 Swarovski and Tally rings. Rifle was not as bad as I had invisioned, plastic stock, relatively heavy, looks like maybe 22-24 inch barrel. I just put the thing in the rack to do something with later, probably list it on GunBroker.

Next, big decision, Which 458 B&M am I going to let him borrow? I did not care too much for my 18 inch Bastogne going off in someone else’s hands. Nor my Snow Alaskan, which would have to be completely done over, another stock, scope, sight in, the works, as it is set up for lighter 250 Socom and Ultimate Snow stock for Alaskan work……. Hmmmmmmm?????

Looking around, I found a 20 inch gun, blued. Pulled it out, had some rust spots on it, been in the rack for well over 10 years, if not longer, has not been touched. Come to learn, this was the #2 458 B&M built. Twenty inch barrel, forward T’SOB mount, and very old original Accurate Innovations stocks from when AI was owned by the group in South Dakota. Laser engraved, and looked like a piece of plywood! Yes, this might just be the perfect gun to loan out. Ran some CEB 450 Solids through it to check magazine feed and retention, it was perfect. But the stock was too bland, ugly, to send anywhere with anyone…… I decided to ask Wes to remove the laser engraving, and get it hand checkered………Lucky for me, Wes was able to put a rush on it.

By Mid May Wes returned the totally refinished stock, complete now with standard hand checkering. I wish, and probably do somewhere, have some old photos of this stick of plywood. When I opened the box from Wes, I was quite sure he had made a serious mistake, and sent another stock, this one was fantastic, gorgeous and took me by total surprise…….. It is now worthy of going to the field. I could not believe it….. Still don’t………..

DSCN2259-X3.jpg

DSCN2291-X4.jpg

DSCN2300-X4.jpg

DSCN2327-X4.jpg

With the forward mount, it makes it difficult to get a set of irons on the gun. In the past, I have mounted this XS Ghost ring forward, and you can’t believe how good it works, how fast it is. Looks a little funny, and definitely not conventional, but its stupid just how good this works….. I sighted it in, and as poor as my eyes are, the bead covers completely 2.5 inches at 25 yards, I was able to shoot 5 rounds in 1.75 inches at 25 yards…… That will do, I can’t see any better than that, in fact, I can’t see that good…………

The blue finish has suffered a good bit over the years. This gun was built and I started shooting it in May 2007. The last data I have on it being fired was March 2008. I guess its been sitting in the rack since then.

I took the POS Swaro off the POS Weatherby 458 Lott and hoped to use it on the 458 B&M. After a couple of hours, and 50 rounds fired trying to keep two rounds together at 50 yards, I gave up on the Swaro Trash. Sorry Swaro fans, it is what it is, end of story, not my first rodeo with these. I mounted a nice 1X4 Nikon African Monarch, and in 10 rounds fired total the rifle was ready to go to Zimbabwe.

Remounted the POS scope on the POS gun, and returned everything to my Accountant when he picked up the 458 B&M. Very happy that junk is gone. About like having a 375 caliber rifle in my room, well, maybe not that bad.

DSC09685%20copy-X2.jpg

I loaded up 40 rounds of Ammo for him, 420 Raptors at 2360 fps and 450 #13 Solids at 2320 fps for his first buffalo.........

DSCN2436-X3.jpg

Yesterday He text me a photo of his successful hunt........................

i-Gn2n4sf-X3.jpg

I am told 1 420 Raptor frontal chest shot (did not get how far but assume less than 50 yards). 25 yards and the bull was down for the count. Autopsy showed the heart was blown and lungs were shredded, this is what a Raptor does..........

He tried to buy the rifle before leaving, but I refused to sell. I am quite sure he will want to buy on return, but the rifle is not for sale..........But he can use it anytime he wants and can treat it as his when needed.................

New Life for an older forgotten rifle.....................

The 458 B&M is such a efficient round. I am sure he will try and buy it from you, I know in his place I would. Very nice of you to lend him a really nice rifle.

Very nice of you to lend him a really nice rifle.
Yeah, maybe..... I have at least 6 458 B&Ms, Gun #1 was a prototype, and the barrel is 20 inches, but extremely heavy contour, that got skinny down by Gun# 2 quickly, but made a fine first gun to do a lot of the early test work with. Gun #3 was/is a 20 inch stainless gun that has been the range test rifle for many years, hooked up to do both chamber pressure and barrel strain as well. My 18 inch Bastogne and my dedicated Alaska version no way they were going anywhere in anyones hands. Recently bought a very very nice 19 inch gun from a B&M enthusiast in Texas, that had to sell. Its new, had 4 rounds fired, extremely nice English stock by AI. So it was down to Gun#2, and it was nice to refinish the stock and get it to looking much better anyway. Turned out to be a damn nice rifle now, and just happy it got an opportunity to take a trip to Africa.

My two 18 inch guns have been all over the world, taking many buffalo, elephant and hippo.

DSC09672a%20copy-X2.jpg
DSC09585-X2.jpg

This is the new 19 inch gun I picked up.............. English by Accurate Innovations.......

DSCN2208-X4.jpg
DSCN2238-X4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, maybe..... I have at least 6 458 B&Ms, Gun #1 was a prototype, and the barrel is 20 inches, but extremely heavy contour, that got skinny down by Gun# 2 quickly, but made a fine first gun to do a lot of the early test work with. Gun #3 was/is a 20 inch stainless gun that has been the range test rifle for many years, hooked up to do both chamber pressure and barrel strain as well. My 18 inch Bastogne and my dedicated Alaska version no way they were going anywhere in anyones hands. Recently bought a very very nice 19 inch gun from a B&M enthusiast in Texas, that had to sell. Its new, had 4 rounds fired, extremely nice English stock by AI. So it was down to Gun#2, and it was nice to refinish the stock and get it to looking much better anyway. Turned out to be a damn nice rifle now, and just happy it got an opportunity to take a trip to Africa.

My two 18 inch guns have been all over the world, taking many buffalo, elephant and hippo.

View attachment 411845View attachment 411844

This is the new 19 inch gun I picked up.............. English by Accurate Innovations.......

View attachment 411846View attachment 411847
The 19" isn't for sale either I suppose?

Have not thought about it. Possible since I have no personal ties to it yet. Still trying to work the GunKote finish on the bolt slick. One would have to pass the B&M test first..............And one would have to give up all ties and worship of any 375 caliber cartridge to qualify.

Have not thought about it. Possible since I have no personal ties to it yet. Still trying to work the GunKote finish on the bolt slick. One would have to pass the B&M test first..............And one would have to give up all ties and worship of any 375 caliber cartridge to qualify.
How would one go about passing the B&M test?

How would one go about passing the B&M test?
HEH..............Well, lets see..............

#1. Denounce and cease completely all worship and admiration for 375 caliber. Admit that .375 caliber is a MEDIUM Bore size, it is NOT BIG BORE. It is not Good For Everything, it is NOT an all around caliber/cartridge. At the very best it is good for rats to deer size animals, anything else is pushing the envelope.

That is step one, it will be extremely difficult and many in this crowd will go into withdrawal symptoms complete with nausea, vomiting, dizziness, dry mouth, crossed eyes, and chest pains.

#2. Be an experienced SHOOTER. Going hunting a couple of times does not qualify you as a shooter. Shopping for your ammo at the local Walmart does not qualify you as a shooter. Going to the range twice a year does not qualify you as a shooter. Shooting 50 rounds a year does not qualify you as a shooter. Shooting a 375 caliber anything does not qualify you as a shooter.

#3. You Must be a HandLoader. No B&M Cartridges are Factory Loaded, you must Hand Load. It is true that is some cases Superior Ammunition is Approved by the Staff of B&M (Me) to load B&M Cartridges, under my guidance. But it is very much in ones favor to understand Hand Loading and be an experienced HandLoader.

#4. One must have a good understanding of Bullet Technology. Being a Shooter or HandLoader does not automatically make you a Bullet Tech Expert. One must have at least a rudimentary understanding of what bullet might be best for any given mission. For instance, one would not use the same bullet for Rat's, that you would need for Elephant. A Deer Bullet does not make a good Buffalo Bullet. One would need to come to terms that Caliber does indeed make a difference. You can use a 458 to do medium and small jobs. But you can't use a 375 and expect 458 Results, even using the very best Bullet Tech available. Even Bullet Tech has its limitations, and that starts with Minor Calibers attempting to do Major Missions.

#5. A real and true understanding of Solid Bullets and the 8 Factors of Solid Penetration. One must understand and acknowledge What a Properly Designed Solid is, what it is used for, and when to use it in a proper manner.

HEH HEH................... Yeah, I suppose these 5 Qualifiers should get you off to a Proper Start.........Too bad I ran out of time, I am sure I can think of a few other things along the way....

@TOBY458 This is one rifle and caliber you can not purchase. It will result in you not using any other caliber, all the Blaser investment will be for naught except for the rat calibers. Guess, guys would appreciate another sale. ;)

The .458 B&M will fill all your bolt gun needs from 0 - 250 yards as you will be able to use a 250 grain tipped raptor @2,950 fps for PG and the rounds mentioned above for DG.

If I had not decided to do a double rifle hunt this year my .458 B&M would have been the one I would have taken. Last year if the hunt was not postponed I was all set to go with it. With an extra year I got enough trigger time on my .500 NE to make it a double rifle hunt.

HEH..............Well, lets see..............

#1. Denounce and cease completely all worship and admiration for 375 caliber. Admit that .375 caliber is a MEDIUM Bore size, it is NOT BIG BORE. It is not Good For Everything, it is NOT an all around caliber/cartridge. At the very best it is good for rats to deer size animals, anything else is pushing the envelope.

That is step one, it will be extremely difficult and many in this crowd will go into withdrawal symptoms complete with nausea, vomiting, dizziness, dry mouth, crossed eyes, and chest pains.

#2. Be an experienced SHOOTER. Going hunting a couple of times does not qualify you as a shooter. Shopping for your ammo at the local Walmart does not qualify you as a shooter. Going to the range twice a year does not qualify you as a shooter. Shooting 50 rounds a year does not qualify you as a shooter. Shooting a 375 caliber anything does not qualify you as a shooter.

#3. You Must be a HandLoader. No B&M Cartridges are Factory Loaded, you must Hand Load. It is true that is some cases Superior Ammunition is Approved by the Staff of B&M (Me) to load B&M Cartridges, under my guidance. But it is very much in ones favor to understand Hand Loading and be an experienced HandLoader.

#4. One must have a good understanding of Bullet Technology. Being a Shooter or HandLoader does not automatically make you a Bullet Tech Expert. One must have at least a rudimentary understanding of what bullet might be best for any given mission. For instance, one would not use the same bullet for Rat's, that you would need for Elephant. A Deer Bullet does not make a good Buffalo Bullet. One would need to come to terms that Caliber does indeed make a difference. You can use a 458 to do medium and small jobs. But you can't use a 375 and expect 458 Results, even using the very best Bullet Tech available. Even Bullet Tech has its limitations, and that starts with Minor Calibers attempting to do Major Missions.

#5. A real and true understanding of Solid Bullets and the 8 Factors of Solid Penetration. One must understand and acknowledge What a Properly Designed Solid is, what it is used for, and when to use it in a proper manner.

HEH HEH................... Yeah, I suppose these 5 Qualifiers should get you off to a Proper Start.........Too bad I ran out of time, I am sure I can think of a few other things along the way....
Most of these steps seem somewhat doable. And I can tick a few of those boxes immediately. But, I never go about anything in the proper order. I usually buy the rifle first, and ask questions later!

@TOBY458 This is one rifle and caliber you can not purchase. It will result in you not using any other caliber, all the Blaser investment will be for naught except for the rat calibers. Guess, guys would appreciate another sale. ;)

The .458 B&M will fill all your bolt gun needs from 0 - 250 yards as you will be able to use a 250 grain tipped raptor @2,950 fps for PG and the rounds mentioned above for DG.

If I had not decided to do a double rifle hunt this year my .458 B&M would have been the one I would have taken. Last year if the hunt was not postponed I was all set to go with it. With an extra year I got enough trigger time on my .500 NE to make it a double rifle hunt.
I bet @michael458 would love to see a Blaser R8 in 458 B&M....
Something tells me he would probably blow a spring over that one......
As for the different bullet weights and styles for different animals, what if your'e Elephant hunting and an Oryx materializes at 250 yards. Do you swap scopes, or have the adjustments marked on your scope for both loads? Either way, I prefer to keep things simple.

... As for the different bullet weights and styles for different animals, what if your'e Elephant hunting and an Oryx materializes at 250 yards.Do you swap scopes, or have the adjustments marked on your scope for both loads? Either way, I prefer to keep things simple.

First, reality. If you are hunting elephants in the bush, you will not see an Oryx at 250 yards. I also was not advocating to use the same gun for everything, though one could if one had a Swarovski turret scope (I do).

In a typical bolt gun scenario I would take the .458 B&M for DG and another for PG. I will never take just one gun for an African hunt.

I bet @michael458 would love to see a Blaser R8 in 458 B&M....
#6. One can ONLY use Winchester Control Feed M70s for any and all B&M Cartridges!

And one has to pass #1 through #5 First........ Before ever getting to #6.......................
I also was not advocating to use the same gun for everything
Almost impossible, Almost..................

The 18 inch Bastogne 458 B&M you see above somewhere on this thread, is one of those very rare guns. In 2011 I had it in both South Africa and Zimbabwe. At the time I had 3 loads--3 different bullets all Same or Very Close POI at 50 yards. 250 Socom Raptor at 2900 fps, 420 Safari Raptor 2250 fps and the 450 #13 Safari Solid at 2220 fps. All three loads/bullets where within 1.5 inches elevation at 50 yards, with the 250 being the highest.

The South Africa trip was a shoot, and I shot probably 20+ plains game including several zebra, oryx, wildebeest, among other various critters with the 250 Raptors in the 458 B&M.

In Zimbabwe I used the 420 Raptor and 450 Solid on buffalo. 450 Solid on Elephant, and backup for a couple of other animals, including Hippo which got busted at 17 yards between the eyes with the 250 Socom at 2900 fps, he was on the ground standing, 200 yards from the water, I was between the big bull and the water BTW, there was no time, I had to use what I had in the gun, since we were trying to sneak up on a croc, I had the 250 in the chamber. From Impala to Elephant, One rifle, no scope adjustment or change out, just pick and choose the load/bullet for the mission at hand, and go to work.

No, not all B&Ms can do that, nor all 458 B&Ms either....... but that one does...........

#6. One can ONLY use Winchester Control Feed M70s for any and all B&M Cartridges!

And one has to pass #1 through #5 First........ Before ever getting to #6.......................

The 18 inch Bastogne 458 B&M you see above somewhere on this thread, is one of those very rare guns. In 2011 I had it in both South Africa and Zimbabwe. At the time I had 3 loads--3 different bullets all Same or Very Close POI at 50 yards. 250 Socom Raptor at 2900 fps, 420 Safari Raptor 2250 fps and the 450 #13 Safari Solid at 2220 fps. All three loads/bullets where within 1.5 inches elevation at 50 yards, with the 250 being the highest.

The South Africa trip was a shoot, and I shot probably 20+ plains game including several zebra, oryx, wildebeest, among other various critters with the 250 Raptors in the 458 B&M.

In Zimbabwe I used the 420 Raptor and 450 Solid on buffalo. 450 Solid on Elephant, and backup for a couple of other animals, including Hippo which got busted at 17 yards between the eyes with the 250 Socom at 2900 fps, he was on the ground standing, 200 yards from the water, I was between the big bull and the water BTW, there was no time, I had to use what I had in the gun, since we were trying to sneak up on a croc, I had the 250 in the chamber. From Impala to Elephant, One rifle, no scope adjustment or change out, just pick and choose the load/bullet for the mission at hand, and go to work.

No, not all B&Ms can do that, nor all 458 B&Ms either....... but that one does...........
That would seem to be the best of both worlds for sure. If you can get both of those loads to print that closely, it would be the answer to most any questions you might run across. I suppose if your rifle didn't group the different loads that closely, the next best thing would be a different scope for each load in QD mounts. I don't like adjusting scopes in the field, so I would prefer to swap the scope with the load.

The problem comes in with the Lighter bullet, in 458 B&M as an example, the 250 Socom is the issue most of the time concerning POI with the heavier bullets. Of course the 450 Solid and 420 Raptor will be the same.

It was just good luck that the one gun, the Bastogne 18 inch, would shoot all of them close enough. I never even thought about POI in the field, I centered up and fired, and they all went where they were intended. The longest range on that hunt was 125 yards on zebra, wildebeest and one hartebeest. The closest was Elephant at 12 yards.

Also, do not be fooled by the light weight of the 250 Socom. It may be light, but it does some damn heavy lifting. NONE were recovered from broadside zebra, wildebeest or less. The only one recovered was from one cow buffalo, and the brain shot on the hippo. All others passed through. This is not your normal conventional light .458 bullet.

The brain shot on the hippo was insane. Brain matter squirted out the ear holes on both sides for over 6 feet. The skull was shattered and broken, I have it here now at home, some of it glued together. Naturally it was bang flop DRT. I still shot it again for insurance on point of the shoulder with a 450 Solid, which was recovered in the far side of the hippo.

... I suppose if your rifle didn't group the different loads that closely, the next best thing would be a different scope for each load in QD mounts. I don't like adjusting scopes in the field, so I would prefer to swap the scope with the load.
If you have a Swarovski BT scope then it is just a matter of rotating to the right load and not really adjusting the scope. Similar to rotating to different distances with just one load.

Would it be acceptable to use a 375 H&H Winchester model 70 as a donor rifle to build a 450 B&M or would that be considered a violation of club rules? Lol!

Would it be acceptable to use a 375 H&H Winchester model 70 as a donor rifle to build a 450 B&M or would that be considered a violation of club rules? Lol!
It would be a major violation and could not be tolerated.

But the biggest issue is that it just WOULD NOT WORK, or function............ H&H Based actions will not work with the B&M rifles. The Standard 2.25 inch B&Ms require a WSM Control Feed Action. H&H Based actions will not work. Donor Rifles have to be WSM. Basic cases are made from RUM brass.

It would be a major violation and could not be tolerated.

But the biggest issue is that it just WOULD NOT WORK, or function............ H&H Based actions will not work with the B&M rifles. The Standard 2.25 inch B&Ms require a WSM Control Feed Action. H&H Based actions will not work. Donor Rifles have to be WSM. Basic cases are made from RUM brass.
Lol! I guess I'll have to start looking for a used short mag Winchester model 70 action!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
profibrahim

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you