Fastrig

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
CA, TX, MT, CO, NV, AK, NE, SD, FL
Had it for a couple of months but been waiting for all the "pieces" I ordered to show up...all here and installed.

Savage Hunter AR10 chambered in 338 Federal

Magpul flip up front and rear sights
Magpul Bipod
Leopold VX6HD 1-6 scope on QD mount
Fore grip handle
20 Round Magpul Magazines
50 Round Magpul Drum Magazine
5 Round Magpul Magazines for hunting (not pictured)

Very accurate rifle, recoil a lot less than I thought it would be and stays on target with follow up shots really well.

Hd1zDC8.jpg

vCJgHRn.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just did a similar build a few weeks ago for similar purposes (hog gun)... but I went the AR15 route rather than AR10.. and went 458 SOCOM (I can salvage the over .375 requirement for you! :D )...

Bear Creek upper
SOLGW lower
Drop in Rise Armament single stage, 3.0lb trigger
Magpul furniture
Vortex cantilever mount
Vortex strike eagle optic

458 SOCOM uses standard AR mags.. so nothing special there.. I did buy a couple of 458 SOCOM labeled/marked mags though just so I could have a few dedicated specifically to this rifle as opposed to grabbing mags out of my 556 stash..

I've got a high output green light made by sniper hog I will mount on it for night time use with the strike eagle.. or I am considering a Sightmark Wraith day/night vision optic for it as well...

Should be an absolute hammer on hogs out to about 150 yards (way more range than I need for the places I typically hunt them)..

Also built an almost identical rifle to the one described here at the same time.. but in .350 legend.. same basic parts/components.. although the 350 legend does require special magazines.. (and doesnt meet the above .375 requirement :D )..

IMG_6494.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What load is running the best for you?

MDWEST,
Your SOCOM is also a hammer on Nilgai. My son used that upper for a recent hunt and we both scored one shot kills (me with .405 WCF DR).

Not sure if youre asking me or @Fastrig ...

I just built both the 350 Legend and the 458 SOCOM a couple of weeks ago, and havent taken them to the range yet (planning on doing that this weekend.. Ive got a few boxes of federal premium 180 gr SP and a couple of boxes of winchester white box in 180 gr that Im going to use to get a zero on the 350 with and will see which one groups best..

For the 458 I've got a few boxes of Underwood Ammo thats using a 300gr ballistic tip loaded to 1900 FPS.. there arent a whole lot of 458 SOCOM factory options.. and ALL 458 SOCOM ammo is crazy expensive (similar to africa big bore prices).. So once I have a few hundred pieces of brass on hand, I am pretty sure I will start reloading for it.. and will likely stick with 300gr .458 projectiles (maybe barnes?) assuming the rifle shoots them well.. for hogs I dont see a need to go heavier, although 400 and 500gr arent uncommon in the SOCOM..

MDWEST,
Your SOCOM is also a hammer on Nilgai. My son used that upper for a recent hunt and we both scored one shot kills (me with .405 WCF DR).

That is awesome news.. I hadnt thought about Nilgai with it.. I've actually been contemplating nilgai for 2021 after deer season ends.. but had planned on using the 375 H&H for that hunt... maybe I'll consider the .458 SOCOM now...

I also plan on taking it into bear country with me.. I've got a couple of Alaska fishing trips planned, and thought it might be nice to have the .458 sitting nearby (in addition to the Glock 10mm) while screwing around in bear country in the months leading up to hibernation..

Had it for a couple of months but been waiting for all the "pieces" I ordered to show up...all here and installed.

Savage Hunter AR10 chambered in 338 Federal

Magpul flip up front and rear sights
Magpul Bipod
Leopold VX6HD 1-6 scope on QD mount
Fore grip handle
20 Round Magpul Magazines
50 Round Magpul Drum Magazine
5 Round Magpul Magazines for hunting (not pictured)

Very accurate rifle, recoil a lot less than I thought it would be and stays on target with follow up shots really well.

View attachment 362591

View attachment 362592

Apologies if this is how shall we say a daft question...but is it much better than one in .308...just for practical reasons..ie easier to get ammunition?

Like all the accessories :D Beers:

Any thoughts on the 475 Bishop? I keep seeing it promoted on Field & Stream.

I see several problems with the 475 Bishop...

Cost is #1... youre looking at $7 a round if youre buying loaded ammo.. and loaded ammo is extremely hard to come by..

If youre loading your own.. its not $7 a round.. but its still extremely pricey..

The second is.. what is the question that 475 Bishop is providing the answer to?

There are several big bore AR options out there that are more than enough to take care of heavy NA game (bear, nilgai, big hogs, etc) such as 450 Bushmaster, 500 Beuwolf, 458 SOCOM, etc.. Ammo, parts, etc are far more common, far less expensive, etc..etc..

475 Bishop offers even more power than those other big bores.. but whats the intended use? You cant take a military type semi auto rifle to any DG hunt locations that I am aware of.. so buff, ele, etc are off the table..

And.. if you just want to have fun with a big supercharged AR10 type rifle.. you have much better options in 458 Win Mag, 300 Mag, 338 Lapua, etc.. made by Nemo Arms and a couple of other companies where ammo will be easier to obtain and/or load for, will be cheaper, etc..

Dont get me wrong.. I think 475 Bishop could be a ton of fun.. I own some odd ball caliber rifles that are hard to feed and extemely expensive to suport (Ive got a 585 Hubel in the safe)..

But if youre first stepping into the AR world.. and you want a big bore.. I think there are A LOT of better options out there..

Nemo 458 Win Mag AR:

Not sure if youre asking me or @Fastrig ...

I just built both the 350 Legend and the 458 SOCOM a couple of weeks ago, and havent taken them to the range yet (planning on doing that this weekend.. Ive got a few boxes of federal premium 180 gr SP and a couple of boxes of winchester white box in 180 gr that Im going to use to get a zero on the 350 with and will see which one groups best..

For the 458 I've got a few boxes of Underwood Ammo thats using a 300gr ballistic tip loaded to 1900 FPS.. there arent a whole lot of 458 SOCOM factory options.. and ALL 458 SOCOM ammo is crazy expensive (similar to africa big bore prices).. So once I have a few hundred pieces of brass on hand, I am pretty sure I will start reloading for it.. and will likely stick with 300gr .458 projectiles (maybe barnes?) assuming the rifle shoots them well.. for hogs I dont see a need to go heavier, although 400 and 500gr arent uncommon in the SOCOM..

I don't have a 458, but I did shot one of the first ones CMMG made when they were working on it. Even with a break on it, it was an ass-kicker. But I have zero doubt it will lay hogs flat.

Looks like a really good set up for Hogs and Black Bear.

Would this be your first choice for Brown Bear as well?

I don't have a 458, but I did shot one of the first ones CMMG made when they were working on it. Even with a break on it, it was an ass-kicker. But I have zero doubt it will lay hogs flat.

I've already been looking at better recoil pads lol...

magpul makes a replacement, thicker/softer pad than what comes on their MOE stock.. but most of the reviews I have read say its only marginally better than the standard rubber pad..

Pachmayr makes a slip on pad that is sorta universal for AR collapsible stocks.. it looks like it might be the best option overall..

I’m shooting Federal 200 grain Trophy Copper for hunting purposes and their MSR rounds for practice. Feeds like butter with both rounds.

Apologies if this is how shall we say a daft question...but is it much better than one in .308...just for practical reasons..ie easier to get ammunition?

Like all the accessories :D Beers:

Has more punch than a 308 win. Ammo is more expensive though not hard to get. You hit a big hog with a 308 it will go down, hit it with the 338 Fed and it drops in its tracks. Best example i can use. Thanks for the beer salute :). Like how she came out.

Looks like a really good set up for Hogs and Black Bear.

Would this be your first choice for Brown Bear as well?
I wouldn‘t hesitate to use it on Browns. Fastest follow up you are going to get if one is pissed off. Put five 338 rounds into a Brown and it’s going to hit the ground.

I just did a similar build a few weeks ago for similar purposes (hog gun)... but I went the AR15 route rather than AR10.. and went 458 SOCOM (I can salvage the over .375 requirement for you! :D )...

Bear Creek upper
SOLGW lower
Drop in Rise Armament single stage, 3.0lb trigger
Magpul furniture
Vortex cantilever mount
Vortex strike eagle optic

458 SOCOM uses standard AR mags.. so nothing special there.. I did buy a couple of 458 SOCOM labeled/marked mags though just so I could have a few dedicated specifically to this rifle as opposed to grabbing mags out of my 556 stash..

I've got a high output green light made by sniper hog I will mount on it for night time use with the strike eagle.. or I am considering a Sightmark Wraith day/night vision optic for it as well...

Should be an absolute hammer on hogs out to about 150 yards (way more range than I need for the places I typically hunt them)..

Also built an almost identical rifle to the one described here at the same time.. but in .350 legend.. same basic parts/components.. although the 350 legend does require special magazines.. (and doesnt meet the above .375 requirement :D )..

That is a SWEET rifle!! I went 338 Fed as she can reach out to 300 if needed, probably farther but that’s all I would ask of her :)

I wouldn‘t hesitate to use it on Browns. Fastest follow up you are going to get if one is pissed off. Put five 338 rounds into a Brown and it’s going to hit the ground.
I have friends with NEMO 300WM rifles they use for hogs and it now has me thinking.
300WM OAL is 3.34", same as 30-06, 338WM and that's right...375RUGER.
Why has nobody made a 375RUGER on the AR platform?

I’m going to guess the answer to that question is it’s only because no one has asked, and then offered enough money

I LOVE that NEMO .458 Win Mag AR movie/utube! Looks like they are having a blast!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross