Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASC
Hunted
UK, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, Dumfries and Galloway, Isle of Arran (Scotland). RSA, North West, Kalahari, Limpopo
So this summer due to the lock down I was unable to get very far. Being a restless soul I though its time to make a better use of my engineering skills. So I set about some knife making. With this in mind I got some advice from our very own knife making guru @Von Gruff.
I ordered some materials and the rest as they say is history. I have also taken to making the sheaths for the knives too. I have just completed my third knife and will be embarking of the creation of another 2.

I'll get some photos up ASAP. Please let me know what you guys think

Some pics of the blade making, handle forming and sheath stitching
IMG-20200623-WA0016.jpeg
IMG-20200929-WA0010.jpeg
IMG-20201004-WA0006.jpeg
IMG-20200929-WA0013.jpeg
1616919773.jpeg
32107780.jpeg
273171246.jpeg
160801926.jpeg
IMG-20200623-WA0009.jpeg

The three knives! The white handle is made of micarta, black one is buffalo horn and the red white and blue one is kirinite. I have named the No1, The piano knife and the Patriot. No1 is for me the other two I have made to give to buddies of mine.
Kirinite is an amazing material to work with and the more it's polished the more grippy it seems to get.

Apologies for the poor pic
1601847482920.jpeg

Great job. Especially for a first time. I'm impressed.

So Mani, I’m expecting one for Christmas! LOL! Excellent job especially for your first time!
I was an engineer for Western Cutlery for some 3 1/2 years. Knives are not the easiest things to make for sure! I had many nightmares particularly with folders!

Fun hobby!

I started making a few knives here and there about 18 months ago... I think I've finally gotten to where some of the designs I've been toying around with are working out ok..

Youve already graduated well past my skills capability with the leather sheaths.. Leather is something I just havent been able to get the hang of yet.. I've made several sheaths, slings, cartridge slides, etc.. everything is functional.. but is lacking in the appearance department..

This is a little quasi-tanto I finished last week... 1095 steel with a walnut bolster, olive slabs for a handle, and simple brass pins.. Its got some flaws.. but it was both my first ever attempt at a bolster as well as a tanto blade profile.. so overall I was pretty happy with it..
IMG_6636.jpg

bolster.jpg

Just something in passing is that the dovetail is traditionally done the other way so the hard edge of the bolster helps to lock the end of the scale under it but that is not important if you prefer them this way. Nice clean work regardless of the flaws that you may see.

Just something in passing is that the dovetail is traditionally done the other way so the hard edge of the bolster helps to lock the end of the scale under it but that is not important if you prefer them this way. Nice clean work regardless of the flaws that you may see.

Thanks @Von Gruff ! Makes perfect sense now that you say it..

@norfolk shooter
You are an incredibly talented gentleman . What blade steel did you use ? I am quite partial to 440C , D2 and Case’s Chrome Vanadium carbon steel .
Ah yes I forgot to mention they are all o1 tool steel. I hardened them to about 57 on the rockwell scale. I think it about that I have no way to measure this but judging by the tempering temp (250c) it's about that

Ah yes I forgot to mention they are all o1 tool steel. I hardened them to about 57 on the rockwell scale. I think it about that I have no way to measure this but judging by the tempering temp (250c) it's about that

O1 is some excellent steel... nice choice!

How are you heat treating? I originally was just using a simple propane torch.. but had a buddy weld up a basic forge that is a whole lot more efficient, reliable, and consistent, and speeds the process up significantly..

Ive been thinking about investing in a smaller sized heat treating oven.. but Im not sure its worth the cost to me right now.. knives are only a hobby for me.. I enjoy the process, and like seeing the end results improve.. but an entry quality oven runs about $750 here in the US... and one of any size where you could do larger blades, that is capable of getting to temp in a reasonable amount of time, etc.. is about $1500-$2000...

If I could come up with more uses other than heat treat and tempering knives, I'd probably spend the money.. but for now I think I am going to continue to limit myself to my forge, propane torch, and toaster oven for all of my "heat" requirements..

First Knives ?........I´m impressed !

You guys are making some nice knives. Well done.
Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdrieneRun

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois