New guy - thinking about Africa

Greetings.

Short Version: I'm a life long hunter (56 years old, been hunting since I was 12). Just starting to get serious about Africa.

Long Version:
I'm a 56 year old duck hunter. I've hunted ducks with double shotguns of one sort or another almost exclusively since 1985. I’ve also shot deer (southeastern whitetail) my whole life but never really considered myself a deer hunter. In 2017, I began to take a keen interest in becoming a better deer hunter and killed a 146" whitetail that had initially gave me the slip on opening day. For the first time in the 40 years of my hunting life I began to think of myself as a big game hunter.

Just prior to last season, I treated myself to a Browning Express in .30-06. There's a certain continuity to hunting ducks in the morning with a break open shotgun then climbing a tree in the evening for a deer also with a break open double. Amazingly the only misfired I've ever had in four decades of rifle hunting was the first time I pulled the trigger on a double rifle in an actual hunting situation. The under bullet simply went click. Of course, double rifles are at their best when things go wrong and all I had to do was reset the inertia trigger by cycling the safety. I dropped the swamp 8-point with the over barrel at about 120 yards.

I'm immersed in a hunting culture. All of my family and close friends are hunters. The people I’m interested in are hunters. Hunting is my only pastime and only passion outside of a relationship with Christ and a commitment my own family. I exercise and keep myself healthy so I can better enjoy hunting. I take long, solo hikes to keep my senses in tune with nature. Heck, the only reason I work is to be able to afford to hunt.

Reading about someone else’s duck hunting was never interesting to me because I get to do it myself. That being said, Africa and African hunting has always held my interest but, until now, I never really considered doing it. The African safari was like my science fiction – an enjoyable diversion to the real-life things I actually get to do. Now, for whatever reason I’m getting serious about booking a plains game safari. I look forward to great conversations and great advice.

I don't have or want a trophy room. I want to bind a photo book of my trip with magazine quality photos something like...

50638958678_cc7880e1ed_c.jpg

...along with nature photos taken from my first African safari.
Welcome to AH. Go for it you aren’t getting any younger!

Welcome to AH. Enjoy the forum, it's very addicting.

Welcome to AH!

Greetings.

Short Version: I'm a life long hunter (56 years old, been hunting since I was 12). Just starting to get serious about Africa.

Long Version:
I'm a 56 year old duck hunter. I've hunted ducks with double shotguns of one sort or another almost exclusively since 1985. I’ve also shot deer (southeastern whitetail) my whole life but never really considered myself a deer hunter. In 2017, I began to take a keen interest in becoming a better deer hunter and killed a 146" whitetail that had initially gave me the slip on opening day. For the first time in the 40 years of my hunting life I began to think of myself as a big game hunter.

Just prior to last season, I treated myself to a Browning Express in .30-06. There's a certain continuity to hunting ducks in the morning with a break open shotgun then climbing a tree in the evening for a deer also with a break open double. Amazingly the only misfired I've ever had in four decades of rifle hunting was the first time I pulled the trigger on a double rifle in an actual hunting situation. The under bullet simply went click. Of course, double rifles are at their best when things go wrong and all I had to do was reset the inertia trigger by cycling the safety. I dropped the swamp 8-point with the over barrel at about 120 yards.

I'm immersed in a hunting culture. All of my family and close friends are hunters. The people I’m interested in are hunters. Hunting is my only pastime and only passion outside of a relationship with Christ and a commitment my own family. I exercise and keep myself healthy so I can better enjoy hunting. I take long, solo hikes to keep my senses in tune with nature. Heck, the only reason I work is to be able to afford to hunt.

Reading about someone else’s duck hunting was never interesting to me because I get to do it myself. That being said, Africa and African hunting has always held my interest but, until now, I never really considered doing it. The African safari was like my science fiction – an enjoyable diversion to the real-life things I actually get to do. Now, for whatever reason I’m getting serious about booking a plains game safari. I look forward to great conversations and great advice.

I don't have or want a trophy room. I want to bind a photo book of my trip with magazine quality photos something like...

50638958678_cc7880e1ed_c.jpg

...along with nature photos taken from my first African safari.
@Rubberhead.
Your are already halfway to your trip. You have the ideal caliber for plains game. All you have to do now is book your hunt.
There are some excellent outfits on this forum that can accommodate you for a cull hunt.
@CBH did a cull hunt and had an absolute great time. He used the owners 7mm Mag with a can suppressor and found it fine.
Hiring a rifle from the guide cold save you a lot of time and hassle at airports and the a feed cost of taking your own firearms.
Chris carried enough luggage in his carry on bag.
One thing I recommend is if you hunt Namibia and don't want trophies make sure you go to Nankara tanery. You can pick up some beautiful skins a a cheap price ( I got Springbok skins from 20 to 30 dollars AUD). A nice skin would make a beautiful cover for your book.
Start planning mate and enjoy your trip.
Bob

They are not going to talk you out of it.
There are African natives , veterans, one timers and dreamers here.
It didn't take long for me to get roped in.
I ticked the box and have hunted Africa.
@CBH
Why don't you shoot him a,PM or stat a conversation and give him a link to your hunt report.
After all you've been there done that.
Bib

Hello and welcome to AH! You have some wonderful photos on your Flickr! We would love to host you on your first African hunt. Africa really is a special place. I can see you seem to enjoy bird watching too, we have a wonderful variety of species here in South Africa. Contact me at safaris@davefreeburn.com or visit my site at www.davefreeburnsafaris.com, we would love to host you!

Welcome to AH! I'd start planning your trip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanMatt

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg