Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Carolina, South Africa
Greetings.

Short Version: I'm a life long hunter (56 years old, been hunting since I was 12). Just starting to get serious about Africa.

Long Version:
I'm a 56 year old duck hunter. I've hunted ducks with double shotguns of one sort or another almost exclusively since 1985. I’ve also shot deer (southeastern whitetail) my whole life but never really considered myself a deer hunter. In 2017, I began to take a keen interest in becoming a better deer hunter and killed a 146" whitetail that had initially gave me the slip on opening day. For the first time in the 40 years of my hunting life I began to think of myself as a big game hunter.

Just prior to last season, I treated myself to a Browning Express in .30-06. There's a certain continuity to hunting ducks in the morning with a break open shotgun then climbing a tree in the evening for a deer also with a break open double. Amazingly the only misfired I've ever had in four decades of rifle hunting was the first time I pulled the trigger on a double rifle in an actual hunting situation. The under bullet simply went click. Of course, double rifles are at their best when things go wrong and all I had to do was reset the inertia trigger by cycling the safety. I dropped the swamp 8-point with the over barrel at about 120 yards.

I'm immersed in a hunting culture. All of my family and close friends are hunters. The people I’m interested in are hunters. Hunting is my only pastime and only passion outside of a relationship with Christ and a commitment my own family. I exercise and keep myself healthy so I can better enjoy hunting. I take long, solo hikes to keep my senses in tune with nature. Heck, the only reason I work is to be able to afford to hunt.

Reading about someone else’s duck hunting was never interesting to me because I get to do it myself. That being said, Africa and African hunting has always held my interest but, until now, I never really considered doing it. The African safari was like my science fiction – an enjoyable diversion to the real-life things I actually get to do. Now, for whatever reason I’m getting serious about booking a plains game safari. I look forward to great conversations and great advice.

I don't have or want a trophy room. I want to bind a photo book of my trip with magazine quality photos something like...

50638958678_cc7880e1ed_c.jpg

...along with nature photos taken from my first African safari.

Welcome! You sound so much like me in terms of your family background and hunting legacy. I too work to hunt my only passion third to my faith first family second. My first trip was a very low cost PG package with Game 4 Africa in SA. It was fabulous and the bug bit me! This July will be going on my first DG hunt with Tsala and they also have a tremendous reputation. I am 62 and have taken well over 100 deer in my life but have found Africa has now taken me over. This forum is filled with like thinking people who are both eager to help and eager to read about your Africa adventures. Good luck and enjoy the adventure!!!

Welcome to AH. I haven't made my first trip to Africa..yet. However, there is a lot of great information here that has allowed me to start planning. I think you'll find the same. Everyone I've run across here has been helpful.

Welcome to AH Rubberhead! Glad you found us and looking forward to your contribution. That is a great picture and you have some incredible ones on your flickr account, quite amazing.

Welcome to AH, lots of enablers on here that will help get you to Africa sooner than later. You picked a great place to start your journey.

Welcome to the site. I started hunting Africa at age 50 and told myself I'd make it a once in a lifetime hunt. Be warned Africa is addictive. :) Since then I've made a total of 14 trips to the dark continent. I'm looking to go back again if this Covid stuff ever gets cleared up.

:S Welcome:

@Rubberhead ,

Welcome! There are some very knowledgeable folks along with some of Africa's finest outfitters represented here all eager to answer questions and assist in your safari planning.

Welcome to AH Rubberhead.

This forum can help you realize your Africa hunting trip, and hunting other places around the globe.

You will find your hesitation to "break the ice" of hunting Africa was for naught. And you will to return to Africa to see, hunt, and do more with each follow up trip, that's the Africa Addiction.

I'll agree with the other that have mentioned just do it and post your hunting and trip reports so we can also learn from and enjoy your tales of hunting Africa.

Welcome from the rice and mallard capitol of the world (Arkansas, of course)! :A Happy Wave:

Welcome Rubberhead, and welcome to Africa soon I hope. Zimbabwe is my home, but wherever you choose to do your PG safari you will find Africa different and special. You have a nice double rifle there in a great calibre for PG, I can't make out the scope from your deer picture, but you should be good to go. Closer to the time we can talk about safari attire and all the touches that make the experience extra special.

Welcome from another sc native. I’m headed out in 46 days and a wake up for my fourth trip after making my once in a life time hunt! Just do it! All the enablers here are helpful in dealing with the addiction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PWA703

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.