New Guy going to hunt Africa for the first time

Thanks for the tips Action Bob, just might leave the nyala for the next time. The list for next time already is getting longer would like a hartebeest some time as well. So that mean a blue wildebeest, a nyala, a hartebeest, ........... There is three already and I have not got a water buck or any spring buck on the list yet. Six to seven more for the next time is a start.
Yup your going to have to get back again! And a hartebeest is a must. Great fun to hunt and cool trophy... Almost as much so as the black wildebeest.. .And you need one for your beest slam!

I'll warn you right now it's adictive. Welcome to the sight and have a good hunt.

Welcome to AH, Rockhound !

Welcome to AH rockhound! Looking forward to your hunting report with lots of Pics. Your in for a treat and a curse because once you've gone all you can think about is getting back enjoy the hunt.

This site seem from what I have read so far is not that way.
Welcome!!!
I believe this is the friendliest site on the internet, regardless of subject. I hope you continue to find it that way as well.

Read a lot, ask questions, and participate. Planning the trip, and the trip back, is half of the fun!

One of the things I enjoyed the most was sitting under some trees in the evening while watching for game and listening to all the bird and other sounds as darkness approached..We had guineas landing on branches just above our heads cakleing or whatever they do + a lot of other crazy sounds..Felt great just to be there.

Welcome to AH! My first trip to South Africa was in 2013. I spent a lot of time prior to, studying pictures of the various antelope species. Everyone knows Eland and Kudu, but I had no idea what a mountain reedbuck was. Likewise, I was concerned about taking too many animals my first trip....until I found out that there are something like 30 hunt-able species of game in RSA!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to AH Rockhound from a fellow Canuck. Good luck on your trip. I'm envious. What rifle are you taking? Ever get anything from Prophetriver in Lloydminster, AB?

The Lady Grey area is really nice, I hunted Mountain Reedbuck and Vaal Rhebuck in that vicinity many years ago, it was a great (hard) hunt - the whole of the Eastern Cape is awesome - I really miss it - I'm sure you will have a great time.

I'll be back there next year, cant wait.

Welcome to AH Rockhound from a fellow Canuck. Good luck on your trip. I'm envious. What rifle are you taking? Ever get anything from Prophetriver in Lloydminster, AB?
I'm taking a 300 WSM
Never gotten anything from P River and never been there. I never seem to be in that Lloyd area.

I'm taking a 300 WSM
Never gotten anything from P River and never been there. I never seem to be in that Lloyd area.

Got powder and brass, scopes from them.
website is usually up to date.
Call them and make a plan though if you need something.
Great customer service.

Got powder and brass, scopes from them.
website is usually up to date.
Call them and make a plan though if you need something.
Great customer service.
They are outstanding. Dealt with Clay and his staff quite a bit. Got my CZ 550 450 Rigby there. Be safe and enjoy your hunt.

Welcome to AH rockhound! For the finest FREE RANGE plains game hunting, consider Namibia. Our operation is extremely wife/family friendly.

Welcome to the forum rockhound! You will have a good time with Guy. All the best for your trip.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris

welcome to AH rockhound

I hope you have a good trip RH! Whats your flight route, as I'm looking into some from Edmonton or Calgary

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeWedel71

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois