New Guy from South Alabama

Lol. Yes some threads can get Heated.

@REB1136 what part of L.A. You from I am from that part of the world myself. Also welcome to AH.

Welcome @REB1136! Yes, taxidermy can become a can of worms. The basics of it are that in general the prices in Africa are less, but the shipping of finished animals is quite a bit higher than just horns and skins. So the question is always going to be will the cheaper shipping offset in general higher prices for taxidermy in the USA.

The rub is the shipping. It is very difficult to estimate this and be able to know what the offset will be. In one discussion you may have seen, Dennis @The Artistry of Wildlife did a workup for @Royal27, and in Royal's case, Dennis would have been the less expensive route. With Dennis being an award winning taxidermist.....well you get the idea.

I'd encourage you to know who your taxidermist would be here in the US and what his prices will be before making a decision. Yours still may be more costly, but there is something to be said for having him on this side of the ocean and available to resolve any issues. Once your work has arrived from Africa, you pretty much own it as is or have to pay someone here to deal with. How much is that worth to you? That is for you to decide.

I have seen Dennis's work from taxi.net and I also read his comparison. I think the thing I worry about most is something going wrong with the dip and ship process and my hides spoiling. I will continue to research and be as prepared as possible, thanks for all the comments and information. Please feel free to continue sharing any information

Just keep reading and you'll figure it out.

Welcome to AH.

Welcome @REB1136! Yes, taxidermy can become a can of worms. The basics of it are that in general the prices in Africa are less, but the shipping of finished animals is quite a bit higher than just horns and skins. So the question is always going to be will the cheaper shipping offset in general higher prices for taxidermy in the USA.

The rub is the shipping. It is very difficult to estimate this and be able to know what the offset will be. In one discussion you may have seen, Dennis @The Artistry of Wildlife did a workup for @Royal27, and in Royal's case, Dennis would have been the less expensive route. With Dennis being an award winning taxidermist.....well you get the idea.

I'd encourage you to know who your taxidermist would be here in the US and what his prices will be before making a decision. Yours still may be more costly, but there is something to be said for having him on this side of the ocean and available to resolve any issues. Once your work has arrived from Africa, you pretty much own it as is or have to pay someone here to deal with. How much is that worth to you? That is for you to decide.

This

I have seen Dennis's work from taxi.net and I also read his comparison. I think the thing I worry about most is something going wrong with the dip and ship process and my hides spoiling. I will continue to research and be as prepared as possible, thanks for all the comments and information. Please feel free to continue sharing any information

Definitely want to know who does the dip and pack and make sure they are a good one. @The Artistry of Wildlife will definitely tell you stories about receiving messed up hides. But, same can happen with taxidermy over there. Messed up tanning, bad work, damage in shipping, you get the idea...

Point is not that one way is right or wrong for you personally, but rather that there is risk and reward to different ways.

Good luck with the planning!!!

This

Definitely want to know who does the dip and pack and make sure they are a good one
From what I can find out Cruiser uses Highveld taxidermy.

Welcome Ray!
Search the forums here and by all means ask some questions. AH is your best resource for all things Africa.
Regards,
Philip

You're not obligated to using your Outfitters recommended taxidermist, it is your choice. I have read that Highveld at one time did good work but in recent years with a change of management their quality has dropped.

Definitely not obligated.

For me personally an outfitter pushing a particular taxi would be a red flag. Not saying they are, but if they are....

Welcome From Minnesota

Thanks everyone! The place is great!! I'm glad I found it, their is so much useful information here

Welcome to the forum, enjoy it. Most reputable taxidermists in africa, offer insurance on your dip and pack, it won't pay for another trip to collect your trophy, but it will pay for a replacement cape should one get damaged. There is good and bad in everything including taxidermist. My main reason for having mine done here in the good ole USofA is accountability, it's a lot easier to have a guy that is 20 miles down the road fix something you are not happy with than when it is across the pond. I've seen some fine work from Africa believe me, but I've seen some terrible work also. Another reason I use a taxi here is I can stagger my mounts according to cash available Rather than one lump sum.
Cheers,
Cody

Welcome to AH Ray!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marplot

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois