New Guy from Pennsylvania

somethingclever

Reaction score
Hello all,

Checking in from PA, USA.

Came across this site while starting my research for a good hunt for my Dad and I.

This would be our first time in Africa....hoping to book a trip within this calendar year (fall). I hope I am not too late in the planning.

I will spend alot of time reading the FAQ and threads because I am starting with very little knowledge.

Any help/advice or links to good threads for a first timer is always welcome.

Hoping to hunt some plains animals on a 4-5 day hunt and 1-2 day safari for sightseeing.

Looks like a great place with lots of references and information. Much thanks to the site owner.

Welcome to AH, it is never too late to book.

Check out the great deals on hunts section and you will find plenty to choose from for this year. The hunt reports section is full of info as to who is reputable and suitable to your needs and the members are friendly and full of info.

welcome and enjoy the site .
happy planning

Welcome, a wealth of hunting knowledge on here.

My best always

welcome to the site.What part of Pa. you from?I am from eastern pa and going back for my second round in two new areas.Say me a PM here if you have any question I could help with.

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to a great site! Enjoy the trip planning.

Welcome to AH, sir. You are certainly in the correct place to start planning you trip.
All the best to you, and don't forget to share the report and photos when you get back. Please let us know should you require any assistance.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Welcome to AH somethingclever! Nice to have you with us, you will enjoy our community!

Welcome to AH! You and your father are going to love Africa. Enjoy the planning, what animals are on your list?

Welcome to the forum. Great to see a new member from one of the few "free" states in the Northeast US.

Hoping to hunt some plains animals on a 4-5 day hunt and 1-2 day safari for sightseeing.

Welcome to AH.

My first suggestion is book more time off for both activities.
You are about to spend at least three or four days just getting there.
It is a loooooooong plane ride. Make it worth while.

You can get it done for this year. Don't short cut the process though.
Ask question and use the search function.

Good luck planning.

Welcome to AH and good luck with the planning,good to have you here. Always nice to have the privelege hunting with your dad.

Father & Son hunts are special. Enjoy the time together.

Welcome to AH somethingclever! Nice to have you with us, you will enjoy our community!

What an excellent website and wealth of knowledge on here. Thanks to you Jerome!

Welcome to AH! You and your father are going to love Africa. Enjoy the planning, what animals are on your list?

Don't have any specific animals so much as looking for the right area first and then will look at animals second. I have been reading the writeup on this website about the different countries and their plus's and minus's. Leaning towards free range animals and prefer a couple larger animals (400+lbs) and some smaller is ok for the mix.

Welcome to AH.

My first suggestion is book more time off for both activities.
You are about to spend at least three or four days just getting there.
It is a loooooooong plane ride. Make it worth while.

You can get it done for this year. Don't short cut the process though.
Ask question and use the search function.

Good luck planning.

Thanks for the advice Brickburn. I understand the long plane rides and travel time. Will consider my options for sure. Hoping this isn't a once in a lifetime deal but it just may be - you never know what life will bring.

Father & Son hunts are special. Enjoy the time together.

Yes this is going to be a surprise 60th birthday present - it will be tough to keep it quiet. :)

HI Somethingclever,

Brickburn is right, try to stay as long as your job and budget will allow. Some great folks and plenty of good information here. Enjoy your stay. I'm always available to answer questions as well.i

Welcome to AH Somethingclever.

You will enjoy the site, all the comments and rich advice given out here. Best of luck on the planning of a great Father & Son Hunt.

Don't postpone, get your outfitter, book your dates and JUST DO IT!

Regards,

WELCOME !!! You will have a a blast on this site and be able to gatehr all you need to know ! I have to emphasize something on an earlier post ... it is halfway round the world . Rather try and and 3 days and make it worth your while ! Good luck with the planning !!!
Happy hunting !

Hi SC
Welcome to AH.

Something for thinking.:rolleyes:

What locations do you want see?
1. Indian Ocean & Beaches - Maybe some fishing?:cool:
2. Tribal celebrations - and activities?
3. Photo tours?
4. Hunting and what trophy animals you are looking for. (there are others) :)
a. Large
1. Giraffe
2. Eland
3. Kudu
4. Blue Wildbeest
5. Black Wildeest
6. Zebra
b. Small
1. Warthog
2. Bushpig
3. impala
4. bushbuck
5. Baboon
6. springbuck

Something to consider is to do 2 short 5 day safaris in different parts of the country. That will give you a chance to see different areas and go after different game. It is doable and you will have a good time.

You are looking at 2 days each way for flying time.
Spend 5 to 7 days hunting
Spend 3 to 5 days doing other things.
So plan for 2 weeks of vacation. I have done shorter and longer trips and I think 7 days is too short and 21 days is pushing my limit to be away from home.

Welcome to the site and you will definitely find a outfitter and a great safari that suite your needs on the site.

Do not hesitate to ask questions at any time and good luck with planning your safari!

Best regards,

Jacques

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cazhino90

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg